• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Jersey

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Jersey"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Not worry, dust yourself down and move on. IMO, if they can't see that you're making fair and honest requests upfront, what would they be like to work with?

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    Looks like it's fell through... They wouldn't agree to hours.

Asked for it every other week so at least I'd get every other weekend home, waiting on an answer Monday.

I'd really fallen for the job and jersey as well!

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
    Long term lerker here, usually I dont feel I can add much to a thread but in this instance I might!

I worked in Jersey on a 6 month contract 18 months ago (loved the place BTW) so if you have any specific questions I may be able to help.

BTW, with regards to accomadation my understanding is the rules are a bit strange (I stayed in a hotel 4 nights a week paid for by the client so didnt dip my toe).

I cant remember the exact details but were something like you have to lodge with someone for the first 3 years before you can rent, once you have rented for 7 years you could apply for residency, one you have residency you can purcahse.

Of course, if you moved to Jersey with x millions of pounds you can skip this process.

Thats what the Jersey folk told me anywho.

Something to keep in mind/research if you are planning to rent.

Ta.
    Hi,

I wouldnt mind a chat by email or something.

They really want me and will wait for my decision on Monday....

Who did you work for?
    Nice Lifestyle?
    Where did you travel from in the UK?
    Pricey?
    Where did you stay?

Peter

Leave a comment:

• Mister Clark
    replied
    Long term lerker here, usually I dont feel I can add much to a thread but in this instance I might!

I worked in Jersey on a 6 month contract 18 months ago (loved the place BTW) so if you have any specific questions I may be able to help.

BTW, with regards to accomadation my understanding is the rules are a bit strange (I stayed in a hotel 4 nights a week paid for by the client so didnt dip my toe).

I cant remember the exact details but were something like you have to lodge with someone for the first 3 years before you can rent, once you have rented for 7 years you could apply for residency, one you have residency you can purcahse.

Of course, if you moved to Jersey with x millions of pounds you can skip this process.

Thats what the Jersey folk told me anywho.

Something to keep in mind/research if you are planning to rent.

Ta.

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Unhelpful only sometimes?

Typical. Not bothered whether you are happy with the arrangements as long as he gets his comission.
    Got it in one....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    Well, I got the contract. Nearly double what I'm earning in Liverpool...

Pro's
    Sunny & Warm
    Crime-free or near enough
    Offshore Banking Experience
    Good Rates
    Short Travel Time
    Good Place to live

Con's
    I'd miss my family
    Slight step back in role... 3rd line down to 2nd Line
    Jersey looks expensive
    Bad Flight Times

So I spoke to the agent who was pretty insistent that I gave them an answer straight away. I have 3 more interviews lined up, so told him I would give him an answer on Monday - he wasn't happy. Told me I put him in an awkward situation.

I asked about the possibility of working 5 in 4 (as above) he said he didn't think they would and couldn't I travel on the Sunday... this would mean me having around 22 hours at home every weekend... not good enough really. I asked him to go and ask the client if the hours I proposed were suitable... and also if they would wait till Monday for an answer.

Agents can be very unhelpful sometimes.... :-)

So here we are, I'll hopefully get a phone call tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any websites with dicsussion forums where people talk about living and working over in Jersey?
    Unhelpful only sometimes?

Typical. Not bothered whether you are happy with the arrangements as long as he gets his comission.

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    If I was to compare working in London with working in Jersey, are they very similar in price of living? I'm guessing Jersey is just a much nicer location.

As for "If you don't as, you don't get" - I've asked a quite reasonable question and you'd think I'd asked the agent to double the rates

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Regarding costs in Jersey, I expect renting will not be cheap but the cost of most things in Jersey is the same as the UK. Petrol is a bit cheaper but you can't go very far anyway. We were there a few weeks ago so I am upto date with costs. If you expect stuff to be 20% cheaper because there is no VAT, you are going to be disapointed. In fact, IIRC, M&S actually make a surcharge on everything in the Jersey shop to cover "extra transport costs". I like Jersey very much, you'll enjoy working there.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    That's not really an option... Nursery, partners family etc
    Left the UK with a pregnant wife and family behind, you might be surprised the support you get offered. Don't ask don't get.

In one such instance the client paid for accommodation and family allowances.

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    6months. I couldn't do it on my own for that long.

I'll report back today once the agency calls!

If they can't compromise on the hours I think it's a definite no.

Leave a comment:

• wim121
    replied
    How long is the contract?

If it isnt very long have you considered staying over there on your own?

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Why not take the family over to Jersey for the duration?

Rent a nice apartment, live the life with cream tea and the occasional weekend over to France.

Here's an apartment @ £650

Pier Road, Jersey, Channel Islands, 1 Bedroom Flat To Rent | Primelocation

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    Well, I got the contract. Nearly double what I'm earning in Liverpool...

Pro's
    Sunny & Warm
    Crime-free or near enough
    Offshore Banking Experience
    Good Rates
    Short Travel Time
    Good Place to live

Con's
    I'd miss my family
    Slight step back in role... 3rd line down to 2nd Line
    Jersey looks expensive
    Bad Flight Times

So I spoke to the agent who was pretty insistent that I gave them an answer straight away. I have 3 more interviews lined up, so told him I would give him an answer on Monday - he wasn't happy. Told me I put him in an awkward situation.

I asked about the possibility of working 5 in 4 (as above) he said he didn't think they would and couldn't I travel on the Sunday... this would mean me having around 22 hours at home every weekend... not good enough really. I asked him to go and ask the client if the hours I proposed were suitable... and also if they would wait till Monday for an answer.

Agents can be very unhelpful sometimes.... :-)

So here we are, I'll hopefully get a phone call tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any websites with dicsussion forums where people talk about living and working over in Jersey?

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Things like this - do you sort in advance of agreeing the contract or do you turn up on site and hope the client is going to be flexible?

Can see it being a bit awkward if they insist on 9-5 mon-fri and it knackers your plans a bit?
    This was agreed after I started and I found out that Friday was finish at 1pm and the flight home is at 9pm. Said to client that I will be working from home for the 4 hours on Friday.

In future I will negotiate this kind of thing before I start.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X