• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jersey

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey

Hi All,

Potentially got myself a contract in Jersey....

Does anyone fly over there from the North?

I can't seem to work out ANY flights that can get me home to see family at the weekend!?

Where abouts up north? Leeds, manchester, liverpool?

Unfortunately, there arent many direct flight to the channel islands from the north. You will probably need to connect at gatwick ....

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
      Where abouts up north? Leeds, manchester, liverpool?

Unfortunately, there arent many direct flight to the channel islands from the north. You will probably need to connect at gatwick ....
      Im in Liverpool, but Leeds Manchester Blackpool are all within reach.

The jersey role is around £100 a day more than I can get up North - I can do it return from Liverpool for £75ish... the times just dont work out...

I'd have to start late on Monday and Finish early on Friday to stand any chance. Or lose most of my Sunday to travel down.

Comment

why not ask the client for some flexibility travelwise and work more hours when onsite in Jersey, they can only say no

Comment

Yeah just been speaking about that, and the possibility of doing 5 in 4.

I could be in Jersey by 11.05am on a Monday (On Liverpool flight), so work from then, as many hours as needed (I'd have nothing else to do of an evening) and then can grab either the 2pm or 3.30pm flight to Manchester on the Friday...

Still get 5 days worth of hours...

Hmmm... worth an ask I suppose!

Comment

Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
            Yeah just been speaking about that, and the possibility of doing 5 in 4.

I could be in Jersey by 11.05am on a Monday (On Liverpool flight), so work from then, as many hours as needed (I'd have nothing else to do of an evening) and then can grab either the 2pm or 3.30pm flight to Manchester on the Friday...

Still get 5 days worth of hours...

Hmmm... worth an ask I suppose!
            I do the same in my current contract in Aberdeen, I arrive on site between 9 and 10 on a Monday and by the time I leave on Thursday night i have clocked up at least 36 hours. I work from home on Friday morning for a few hours and get paid for the full 5 days. It means I effectively work 4 days and have a 3 day weekend which suits me perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
              I do the same in my current contract in Aberdeen, I arrive on site between 9 and 10 on a Monday and by the time I leave on Thursday night i have clocked up at least 36 hours. I work from home on Friday morning for a few hours and get paid for the full 5 days. It means I effectively work 4 days and have a 3 day weekend which suits me perfectly.
              Things like this - do you sort in advance of agreeing the contract or do you turn up on site and hope the client is going to be flexible?

Can see it being a bit awkward if they insist on 9-5 mon-fri and it knackers your plans a bit?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Jersey is a good connection from Liverpool if you can stand SleasyJet (not too bad for 50 minutes though), reasonable prices if you book in advance only takes about 50 minutes.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Things like this - do you sort in advance of agreeing the contract or do you turn up on site and hope the client is going to be flexible?

Can see it being a bit awkward if they insist on 9-5 mon-fri and it knackers your plans a bit?
                  This was agreed after I started and I found out that Friday was finish at 1pm and the flight home is at 9pm. Said to client that I will be working from home for the 4 hours on Friday.

In future I will negotiate this kind of thing before I start.

Comment

Well, I got the contract. Nearly double what I'm earning in Liverpool...

Pro's
                    Sunny & Warm
                    Crime-free or near enough
                    Offshore Banking Experience
                    Good Rates
                    Short Travel Time
                    Good Place to live

Con's
                    I'd miss my family
                    Slight step back in role... 3rd line down to 2nd Line
                    Jersey looks expensive
                    Bad Flight Times

So I spoke to the agent who was pretty insistent that I gave them an answer straight away. I have 3 more interviews lined up, so told him I would give him an answer on Monday - he wasn't happy. Told me I put him in an awkward situation.

I asked about the possibility of working 5 in 4 (as above) he said he didn't think they would and couldn't I travel on the Sunday... this would mean me having around 22 hours at home every weekend... not good enough really. I asked him to go and ask the client if the hours I proposed were suitable... and also if they would wait till Monday for an answer.

Agents can be very unhelpful sometimes.... :-)

So here we are, I'll hopefully get a phone call tomorrow.

Does anyone know of any websites with dicsussion forums where people talk about living and working over in Jersey?

Comment

Working...
                    X