• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Urgent help - first time ba - decent rate?"

Collapse

• MCC7
    replied
    Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
    Oh dear.....
    Care to elaborate....?

Leave a comment:

• teabag
    replied
    This is good. 300 oop north and FS break..Bite their hand off !!

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by chana7 View Post
    Thanks for that, I'm going with umbrella as a first timer. That calculator is coming out with a monthly net of £4484, which is course what I want to hear. Why the massive difference??

The recruitment agency are saying to go with Giant umbrella, who will be quoting me in the morning. If it's around the 4k mark, then I'll be jumping.
    Oh dear.....

Leave a comment:

• MCC7
    replied
    Originally posted by SneakySimon View Post
    Good luck, they are a good company, like to follow the process but makes it straightforward.

Most contractors there get extended (including myself) - they have a good stream of work and are happy to transfer you to other departments to retain talent.
    Hello mate, sent you a PM for some advice, would be great to know more about the place. Any help is massively appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• SneakySimon
    replied
    Credit Checker

Good luck, they are a good company, like to follow the process but makes it straightforward.

Most contractors there get extended (including myself) - they have a good stream of work and are happy to transfer you to other departments to retain talent.

Leave a comment:

• MCC7
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Or you could try this one:

Umbrella Company Tax Calculator | Contractor UK

But you'd be better off with this one:

Limited Company Tax Calculator | Contractor UK
    Thanks for that, I'm going with umbrella as a first timer. That calculator is coming out with a monthly net of £4484, which is course what I want to hear. Why the massive difference??

The recruitment agency are saying to go with Giant umbrella, who will be quoting me in the morning. If it's around the 4k mark, then I'll be jumping.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Or you could try this one:

Umbrella Company Tax Calculator | Contractor UK

But you'd be better off with this one:

Limited Company Tax Calculator | Contractor UK

Leave a comment:

• MCC7
    replied
    I've put in £300 on the <snip> and getting a take home of £2892.

Does that sound about right? With allowances and expenses in my current perm role it works out at around £2300 and that with pension, medical and student loan removed.

£2892 seems a little low or am I missing something?

Leave a comment:

• oversteer
    replied
    Yeh I gather I can't mention the company name here?
    Best not to.

Do it. take it. invoice invoice invoice and save up everything.

Do it.

Leave a comment:

• MCC7
    replied
    Yeh I gather I can't mention the company name here? Its a credit checking company, east midlands, which falls within the financial services area. Not a tier 1 bank or anything but nobody else will give me a break in that sector so at that rate it seems a good offer from what you experienced contractors are saying.

It sounds like a good rate at 25 but it's all about inflation....

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    rather jealous....nobody paid me 300 a day at 25.
    Quite, with you there. At 25 I was on about 18k.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Yep....very positive start. 300 would be 400 in the south which is a pretty good rate in my book plus a foot in the door with anything finance is great. Contracts nearly always get extended if you're good..so don't just look at is a 3 monther.

rather jealous....nobody paid me 300 a day at 25.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
    Or London £550pd for future consideration

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Check this, it gives you a broad guide.

ITJobswatch for Business Analyst search in Birmingham £346pd

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Hi there, Ive been a BA for 3 years in an IT services company and have just been offered a 3 month contract of 300 a day (east midlands) about 25 mins from home.

As a BA, is that a decent rate to jump at for my first contract? I am 25 and have my ISEB diploma, degree in Business Info Systems, and the 3 years exp.

What say you oh wise ones? I need to decide today as its financial services, they need to start the vetting process etc. They went straight to offer off a phone interview...
    You're 25. Foot in the door. No mortgage at a young age. Do it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X