• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "This Weeks Monkey Contract"

Collapse

• eek
    replied
    Another one

.Net/SOA Solutions Architect - Risk/Insurance system City Of London Contract IT Job

.Net/SOA Solutions Architect - Risk/Insurance system

Contract
    A City based insurance company requires a .NET/SOA Solutions Architect.

The Risk team. requires an application to be delivered as a Proof Of Concept (POC). If the POC is perceived by the business to be unsuccessful and accept it, then funding for a Risk application will be scoped and delivered over several phases of work. This will extend the contract to the end of the year and very likely much longer.
    Its a repeat advert so you would have thought someone would have pointed it out by now.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Remember there is a difference between tax free and zero rate tax. The former you pay tax somewhere, the latter the tax is paid at 0%.

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    How many bob's are SCed.

Quite a few BOBs on my current SC project. Some actually quite good

Leave a comment:

• adubya
    replied
    Now corrected

Rate £700.00 - £900.00 per day

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    How many bob's are SCed.
    I really don't know. I know there are a fair few of SC'd Commonwealth citizens, as I've worked with some of them.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Don't bother applying unless your name is Robert.
    How many bob's are SCed.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Don't bother applying unless your name is Robert.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I think I've got a new winner

SC Cleared Enterprise Architect - TOGAF England Contract IT Job

SC Cleared - Enterprise Architect - Oracle Java J2EE - London

SC Cleared, Enterprise architect, Oracle, Java, J2EE, Oracle, .NET, ERP, SAP, SQL, Data Modelling.

SC Cleared Enterprise Architect required by major client:

Requirements:
    * TOGAF/MODAF
    * Java, J2EE
    * Oracle
    * .NET
    * SQL
    * Data Modelling
    * ERP (SAP, Oracle, IFS, etc)
    * Business Intelligence
    * Data Architecture
    * Data Warehousing
    * Integration
    * Infrastructure

Role:
    * You must be able to think have broad skills around enterprise architecture
    * Ability to provide technical leadership and ensure delivery
    * Customer facing skills
    * High documentation standard and clear ability to follow engineering process
    * Evidence of having delivered successful solutions on very large projects

Extension Likely.

Rate £700.00 - £900.00 per week

Leave a comment:

• TOSH1
    replied
    I was offered a position paying £15.00 per hour yesterday working in central London.

I have just been offered a position paying £140.00 a day working in Edingburourh for a bank. Thier selling point is that it would be a step into the banking world.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Quite often see desktop support contracts offered in wales for £100 a day or less.

I went for a contract a few months ago and the agent really tried to get me to give him the lowest rate I could possibly manage. Cos the contract was good experience, and I wanted to gain more of this, I thought OK £200/day for first 3 months and then we'll see. It was Red Hat / LAMP support.

Apparently though, 3-4 Bobs had already offered to do it at less than £100/day. **** off said I.

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
    Thats incorrect i'm afraid, there are tests such as normally and ordinarily resident which i'll not bore you with but suffice to say its is in true HMRC fashion and not entirely transparent. They should just call calculating your tax due to HMRC " The Smear Test " you might be right they might be right who the hell would know ?
    you are right. you should pass a common sense test of 'living' outside the UK for over 180 days. To feed the parasites in the UK, HMRC and the courts even consider you to be a resident if you are living abroad 330 days a year but have a wife and family here whom you visit. They will then raid and plunder your earnings.

So, if you AND your family live outside the UK (or you have no family) then it will be OK to protect your earnings from Hector.

HMRC laws are intentionally left vague so as to bully you to pay before going to court.

Leave a comment:

• inferno
    replied
    Location London, London
    Salary £75.00 - £100.00 per day
    SectorIT & Telecoms - Web Developer
    Job Description

Our client a large media organisation are currently looking for a 2x web editor to join the web development team on a contract basis. Due to growth there are a number of projects that are running to timescales but to ensure completion they require a contractor for 2 months initially.*

Skills required include:*
    - HTML*
    - CSS*
    - Photoshop*
    - Javascript*
    - Website development experience*
    - Hand coding
    - WordPress is advantageous

This contract is to start immediately.*

£75 p/d? Really? I seriously hope no one goes for that. they really need to learn to stop taking the p1ss.

Leave a comment:

• geoff from contracta IOM
    replied
    Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    If you are a non resident for the tax year (more than 180 days outside the UK) then you only pay taxes on earnings generated within the UK. Rent from your home, other income. Any earnings outside the UK are exempt. Doesnt matter when you come back.
    Thats incorrect i'm afraid, there are tests such as normally and ordinarily resident which i'll not bore you with but suffice to say its is in true HMRC fashion and not entirely transparent. They should just call calculating your tax due to HMRC " The Smear Test " you might be right they might be right who the hell would know ?

Leave a comment:

• AnthonyQuinn
    replied
    Originally posted by suewood27 View Post
    Ok, let me just look very stupid for a moment.

I know that the Middle East is tax free, but what happens when you bring you're hard earned cash back into the UK? Does Inland Revenue want a slice of it at assessment time? Do you stow it all away in a foreign account? I've often wondered but never asked!
    If you are a non resident for the tax year (more than 180 days outside the UK) then you only pay taxes on earnings generated within the UK. Rent from your home, other income. Any earnings outside the UK are exempt. Doesnt matter when you come back.

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Back to the original OP

The sooner the IT director and her lapdog deputy leave, the better as they are failing in every-way possible imho. Neither have any knowledge of IT nor programme management - which didn't amaze me when I learned this!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X