• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Quitting mid contract - anything I need to be prepared for?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Hmmm.

After 20 odd years working in IT both perm and contract, I've been made redundant 4 times, had contracts cancelled by the client so bottom line in terms of importance.

1. Family
    2. Yourself
    12. The cat
    999. Employer or client.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I myself am quitting mid-contract. Client very understanding, not spoken to agency yet though. All depends on your situation really.
    I got the new contract. Well above (real) inflation rate increase. Understood there will be a learning curve as I cross train from Analyst/Programmer to 'Technical BA'.
    Current client content with 4 week handover.
    Current Agent amicable - agreed termination date right away and confirmed schedule of payments as I roll off.

I make my own luck to an extent by keeping contacts warm, but even so I have been very, very fortunate to be called back to a previous client to take up a personal development opportunity for more money.

I will give myself credit for maintaining cordial relations with the Client and Agent though. Despite carelessness and irritating initiatives on their part, I have remained tolerant and polite and it seems to have paid off.

I believe my current COBOL/DB2 contract in Milton Keynes is being advertised, probably on Jobserve.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Finding a substitute seems ideal, you might even make a few quid. What is the role you're planning to drop?
    Hi my current role is financial services production support. Needs good COBOL, DB2, TSO/ISPF, Utilities (Selcopy, DFSort etc) a bit of CICS plus enough knowledge of cross platform/connectivity to talk to the Java guys who look after the online apps that use DB2.
    Most of all though you need at all times to be prepared to drop what you are doing and immediately switch to something new and urgent. I don't work into the evening often, but its not negotiable when it happens which is not everybody's cup of tea.
    I don't called back in though after leaving the office unless I'm on Standby (1 week in 5) so it could be worse.
    One thumbs up is that they have agreed, and never questioned, late starts Monday c. 10am and early finishes on Friday c. 3.30 so I am always home by 6 on a Friday (except once due to traffic).

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I myself am quitting mid-contract. Client very understanding, not spoken to agency yet though. All depends on your situation really.

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by kingmob View Post
    amen to that - I remember my first contract way back when, was initally for three months - I got three extension and when the time came to leave I spoke to the agency who said "We'll get right on looking for a new role for you"

Never heard from them again!
    Always the way it goes....

Leave a comment:

• kingmob
    replied
    Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Wouldn't worry about burning bridges with the agency - how many subsequent or future contracts are ever found with the same agency (out of interest as well btw) ?
    amen to that - I remember my first contract way back when, was initally for three months - I got three extension and when the time came to leave I spoke to the agency who said "We'll get right on looking for a new role for you"

Never heard from them again!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Finding a substitute seems ideal, you might even make a few quid. What is the role you're planning to drop?

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Update

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Personally, I don't ever see that I work for an agency. I work for the end client and that's who I answer to. In my mind agency only exists to introduce me to the client and to factor the payments nothing more.
    As for who's your boss, the end client is the one I have a business relationship with and I respect and cultivate that.
    Well I did pursue the opportunity. Telephone interview went well enough for them to want a face to face next Thu.
    I am planning to contact a small bodyshop I know to ask if I can put them forward for substitution if I get the new gig.

I think its going to be awkward when I hand in my notice, but as posted above, time to smile and wave. Being by the beach in summer can only be good and turning down £50/day extra would be wrong when I've got 2 lads just started Uni. I'd feel bad if I had to say no to field trips etc. having turned down extra cash.

Anything I need to consider legally? The 4 week termination clause in my contract looks black & white.
    If the agency are difficult about paying the final invoice I just let the PCG loose on them I suppose...

Whilst I agree with the sentiment about my boss being my client, the contract is with the Agent so I plan tell the Agent formally and then sit down with the boss for an informal chat before the agency has had time to phone him.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by estragon01 View Post
    Well, he ain't your boss, you work for yourself right? He isn't even your client, but he is your client's client.
    If I have a contract that has a termination clause (notice, whatever) and I want to end the pain I go to my client, not my client's client.
    Personally, I don't ever see that I work for an agency. I work for the end client and that's who I answer to. In my mind agency only exists to introduce me to the client and to factor the payments nothing more.

As for who's your boss, the end client is the one I have a business relationship with and I respect and cultivate that.

Originally posted by estragon01 View Post
    Good luck and go with your heart - I have yet to meet an agent who holds a grudge if he can see pound signs in a deal.
    Have to agree there though!

Leave a comment:

• estragon01
    replied
    Boss?

Well, he ain't your boss, you work for yourself right? He isn't even your client, but he is your client's client.

If I have a contract that has a termination clause (notice, whatever) and I want to end the pain I go to my client, not my client's client. Oh yeh, and man up! You may get four weeks of stress from the guy but as the penguins say "Smile and wave boys, smile and wave..."

Good luck and go with your heart - I have yet to meet an agent who holds a grudge if he can see pound signs in a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I wouldn't go and tell the agency and let them break the news, that will just piss the boss off. Go and have a talk direct to your boss about it.

Notice is notice and he ain't going to be too happy but there is nothing he can do about it, that's business. I'd try to soften the impact by trawling through my contacts and see if you can get a subbie or at least see if you can help recruit a replacement into the job. Make it clear that you are 100% committed to doing a proper handover/training up a replacement etc but after 6 months away from home you've had enough and you're off.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    It's irrelevant if it's an initial contract or an extension imo.

Things you should be prepared for are possibly burning your bridges with the client and/or agency which could affect future opportunities. Also, the stressy manager may have a long memory should your CV ever end up on his desk again at that client or somewhere else...
    Wouldn't worry about burning bridges with the agency - how many subsequent or future contracts are ever found with the same agency (out of interest as well btw) ?

Leave a comment:

• PSK
    replied
    If your contract allows and you have a suitable candidate in mind that enables you to make a margin, offer a substitute.

Leave a comment:

• AussieDigger
    replied
    Your best bet is to find the client a replacement resource and be prepared to do a good handover. He may get sore that you left but then will appreciate your professionalism for ensuring things went well.

Leave a comment:

• xux42
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
    But, it may not be the "end of the world" if you never went back to a particular client in the future
    That is the understatement of the century!

Thanks for all the quick responses as per usual.
    Mortgage is small and war chest moderate. The only way I'd be looking to go back to this client is if I really needed money due to some future calamity and there really was no other option.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X