• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quitting mid contract - anything I need to be prepared for?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quitting mid contract - anything I need to be prepared for?

Currently working away from home approaching middle of a 6mth gig at a large retail bank. It was a renewal so I have actually been here 6mths now.
    My old client is interested in having me back for about £50/day more. Will be away from home too, but at least 1 day a week I will be able to work at an office 30mins from home.
    I will need to invoke my 4week notice clause. My current boss is generally OK but gets stressy bordering on agressive when things go badly / don't go his way.
    On paper/theory it should all just go through and the agency has to pay for work completed, but I was wondering if it really be that cordial and businesslike. I have always worked to full term before.
    Any views, things to watch for?
    Ta.

It's irrelevant if it's an initial contract or an extension imo.

Things you should be prepared for are possibly burning your bridges with the client and/or agency which could affect future opportunities. Also, the stressy manager may have a long memory should your CV ever end up on his desk again at that client or somewhere else...

Comment

It's irrelevant if it's an initial contract or an extension
      To some extent yea I agree with this but from a mental point of view for myself and for any kind of bad feeling I have for walking from a contract early, i would rather leave in an extension than in the initial contract as at least you have shown some reliability by staying the first contract even if now in the second (extension) your leaving part way through.

Sometimes this can happen and you might need to hand your notice in and I think on the odd occasion don't worry about it, agencies have short memories and in regards to the client would it be the end of the world if you did not go back to them in the future. I just don't think its ideal to do it that often and end up contract hopping for a better rate/contract length but maybe other people might think its ok.

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        i would rather leave in an extension than in the initial contract as at least you have shown some reliability by staying the first contract even if now in the second (extension) your leaving part way through.
        But, by the same logic you've also been shown to be unreliable by terminating early whether during the initial contract or an extension.

Originally posted by curtis View Post
        agencies have short memories
        Some do, some don't. Which is also true of clients. Current clientco has recently refused to consider contract applications from 2 people who left almost 3 years ago as permies to go to other permy roles and have since left those and gone contracting, and they didn't leave on bad terms either

I guess it depends on the people making the decisions.... a stressy/aggressive manager who doesn't like not getting his own way is more likely to have a long memory. and while it may not be the "end of the world" if you never went back to a particular client in the future, it could mean the difference between having the money to pay the mortgage or not if you've no other work and a depleted "warchest"

Comment

Apart from one instance where I had to terminate a contract early due to being given tasks not in the original job spec, I would never leave a contract early. Whenever I get offered work by a contact I always tell them I will never leave a project halfway through if they still need me. In a way this works in my favour as they respect that work ethic and make them more determined to hire me when I am available as they know I won't ditch them halfway through.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
            But, it may not be the "end of the world" if you never went back to a particular client in the future
            That is the understatement of the century!

Thanks for all the quick responses as per usual.
            Mortgage is small and war chest moderate. The only way I'd be looking to go back to this client is if I really needed money due to some future calamity and there really was no other option.

Comment

Your best bet is to find the client a replacement resource and be prepared to do a good handover. He may get sore that you left but then will appreciate your professionalism for ensuring things went well.

Comment

If your contract allows and you have a suitable candidate in mind that enables you to make a margin, offer a substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
                  It's irrelevant if it's an initial contract or an extension imo.

Things you should be prepared for are possibly burning your bridges with the client and/or agency which could affect future opportunities. Also, the stressy manager may have a long memory should your CV ever end up on his desk again at that client or somewhere else...
                  Wouldn't worry about burning bridges with the agency - how many subsequent or future contracts are ever found with the same agency (out of interest as well btw) ?

Comment

I wouldn't go and tell the agency and let them break the news, that will just piss the boss off. Go and have a talk direct to your boss about it.

Notice is notice and he ain't going to be too happy but there is nothing he can do about it, that's business. I'd try to soften the impact by trawling through my contacts and see if you can get a subbie or at least see if you can help recruit a replacement into the job. Make it clear that you are 100% committed to doing a proper handover/training up a replacement etc but after 6 months away from home you've had enough and you're off.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X