• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "They DO NOT need to hold a copy of your passport if you are opted out."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    The one that makes me think carefully is references. Clearly don't want my references hassled. My solution is to use agency references, then they can ring each other up.

Also so called Employment history seems to be extremely poorly defined. So I've been continuously employed by my Ltd. for the last 20 years or so. Why do I need to show gaps in my contracting history? or even more confusing is when you put down multiple overlapping contracts. So you remove an overlapping contract, then they come back and ask you for a reference to cover the gap.
    Your employer is legally your limited and you should put your limited as the employer unless there are explanatory notes stating otherwise.

In the cases where they put employer with no explanatory notes they tend to want to know who your accountant is.

Copy of the passport isn't a big deal.

Another annoyance is when you get the contract and they ask for all this nonsense on e-mail. Then turn around and ask for hard copies as well.

The whole reference checking thing is unnecessarily complex and over blown.
    Agreed. They should ask for the hard copies only As the Home Office isn't interested in a photocopy or scan if they can't claim to have seen the hard copy.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Ice
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Chaps, this is a cyclical argument. The agencies are too risk averse to do anything but follow their process, even though 90% of the time what they are doing has no real value or legal standing. Also, of course, they have told their clients that they will verify IDs and rights to work, so that's what they're doing.

We can, of course, go to a solicitor and get them to stamp and verify a statement that they have seen you holding your passport, utility bills and assorted other proofs demonstrating you are who you say you are and are allowed to be here. Costs around £10, and copies can be used for anyone else that needs that information - such as agencies. But that's far too logical and straightforward and will save time, effort and concerns over DPA. So it will never catch on.
    Yep this is a cyclical argument and totally misses the point which this particular pimp is making. For him no compliance = no gig; so you either tell him to shove it or suck it up and get on with more important matters (e.g. billing).

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I know a colleague who is partially sighted, so no Drivers License and doesn't have a passport.

What is your plan now all knowing one?
    Like I said, just tell the person doing the checks "But I'm British, innit" and everything will be fine.

Do you think the Government are completely stupid and overlooked the fact that there were millions of people living and working in the UK who don't hold a passport or driving license? Do you wonder if there is an list of alternative documents (eg, UK birth cert and P45) that someone can produce?.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    The one that makes me think carefully is references. Clearly don't want my references hassled. My solution is to use agency references, then they can ring each other up.
    That's not really your solution. That is the standard one everyone should be doing.

Also so called Employment history seems to be extremely poorly defined. So I've been continuously employed by my Ltd. for the last 20 years or so. Why do I need to show gaps in my contracting history? or even more confusing is when you put down multiple overlapping contracts. So you remove an overlapping contract, then they come back and ask you for a reference to cover the gap.
    You have to think why they want this. The terminology doesn't matter, they just need to know you have been at large and on the radar. Breaks could indicate a holiday at Her Majesties pleasure or other untoward activities. You are getting too hung up on the details and missing the reason for the questions.

Copy of the passport isn't a big deal.
    Agreed. It should really be the standard so should be thankful when we are not asked for it.

Another annoyance is when you get the contract and they ask for all this nonsense on e-mail. Then turn around and ask for hard copies as well.

The whole reference checking thing is unnecessarily complex and over blown.
    I would disagree with this. They have a duty of care and have to cover their own arses. You can't begrudge them wanting hard copies to keep as proof and they have an obligation, particularly when opted in to check everything.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I know a colleague who is partially sighted, so no Drivers License and doesn't have a passport.

Get their employer to certify that they have undertaken checks and the employee has the right to work in the UK. Include that the employer can be held legally responsible if found otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I know a colleague who is partially sighted,
    Is it Stevie Wonder?

Leave a comment:

• GazCol
    replied

An official letter or document from a government agency (eg HM Revenue and Customs, Department for Work and Pensions, or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) showing their National Insurance number and their full birth, adoption certificate or naturalisation certificate

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

There are many other documents allowable. It's on an HMRC list somewhere but CBA to find it.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    There are a couple of standard methods of advising agents of things. Some of the lesser used ones are ESP and sign language. I am sure you are aware of the other methods...
    I found that not all agents are completely up to date with the latest technology, so you sometimes may need to revert to interpretive dancing or an abstract acryllic painting.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Eyteedude View Post
    I am pretty new to contracting and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    I am in the process of securing a contract role through an agent and they demanded I send them copies of my passport for compliance bla bla bla.
    Upon sending this, I got feedback from agent confirming interview and also requesting that I do a face-time, Skype video call or better still pop into their office so they verify who me is.

Questions:
    1) Do agents legally have to send copies of passport to clients before interview for contract roles?
    2) Is this a standard process or am I just being pushed about? (They wanting me to pop into their office)
    3) Lastly, the wife has a registered company which I would like to operate through.How do I inform them of this as I do not want to use their umbrella company.

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Eyeteedude
    You did read this thread didn't you? The agents are obliged (particularly if opted in) to verify you are who you say and also that you are allowed to work. It's up to them if they are willing to take a risk not doing it face to face but it is the only way to do it properly.

They are not legally obliged to do it before interview but in this day and age with so many overseas contractors there is some sense in making sure you are wasting time with someone that isn't eligible to do the work.

There are a couple of standard methods of advising agents of things. Some of the lesser used ones are ESP and sign language. I am sure you are aware of the other methods...
    Last edited by northernladuk; 3 April 2014, 12:33.

Leave a comment:

• Eyteedude
    replied
    Do agents send passport copies to client before starting contract.

I am pretty new to contracting and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    I am in the process of securing a contract role through an agent and they demanded I send them copies of my passport for compliance bla bla bla.
    Upon sending this, I got feedback from agent confirming interview and also requesting that I do a face-time, Skype video call or better still pop into their office so they verify who me is.

Questions:
    1) Do agents legally have to send copies of passport to clients before interview for contract roles?
    2) Is this a standard process or am I just being pushed about? (They wanting me to pop into their office)
    3) Lastly, the wife has a registered company which I would like to operate through.How do I inform them of this as I do not want to use their umbrella company.

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Eyeteedude

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    TAV it's Gassafe at the moment. I wouldn't want you to be asphyxiated.
    Thanks....I don't keep up with changes like that very well

And....you're a lousy liar

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Personally, if my boiler breaks down and I need a new one etc, then yes, I do insist on seeing registration documents - it's illegal and risky to use a non Corgi registered installer.
    TAV it's Gassafe at the moment. I wouldn't want you to be asphyxiated.

Leave a comment:

• rd409
    replied
    Okay then. Let me conclude this thread. Everyone agrees here that verifying the documents by the client/agency is acceptable for the contractor. There are few contractors who are skeptical about the agency taking a photocopy of the document, but are happy for the client to take one. The same way, there are agents who don't want to lose a good candidate, just because s/he is not happy about them taking a photo copy of any document. This is very similar to negotiating about the contract rate according to me. If both the parties agrees, then you have a deal, or else, one of them will walk away.

Peace all around.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    MODS: Please kill this thread. (And ban TAV while you're at it. Even though I have him on "ignore" anyhow.. )
    You will have to take him off your ignore list if you want to have the satisfaction of seeing him get banned.

Ahh, TAV is OK. I often disagree with his opinions but I think he does make a useful contribution to the forum.

I do think that we have to be careful not to launch into personal attacks though. Let's keep it clean, folks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X