• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV Blocking by Agency"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    This situation is now expertly explained on the News page. Contractors' Questions: How to tackle 'CV blocking'? :: Contractor UK

Sounds the best way to proceed but tbh, once a situation like this develops, it will nearly always end in tears.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How Common is this?

I had previously skimmed this post - not realising that it may be a serious issue.

I have had several cases where an agent has said my cv has not been received. Curiously, I had no feedback for the position for which I was a very good match.

The description of event now sounds very familiar.

Can we say this is a common tactic to remove good candidates previously submitted?
    Last edited by contractorcontractor; 5 November 2010, 14:44.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    I've had this happen a few times over the years. The most blatant was in the height of the market in 2005, I was contacted by an agent who had already submitted his 3 CV limit to the client, he was contacting everyone else he could find that was available and had similar quality CVs and promising that he'd submit their CVs just to get them off the market for that role. I only found out because I knew someone at the client and I also knew someone else who had been contacted and submitted a CV, neither mine nor his were sent and the agent's 3 CVs were sent to the client before I was contacted.

The agent "couldn't understand the mix-up" at the client and promised he'd submitted it but wouldn't send me a copy of the submission email he'd sent to the client.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    It looks like neither A nor B can be trusted. At least one of them is probably misrepresenting their relationship with the client.
    Are their lips moving?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Similar to someone above.

1. Are you on the PSL for the client?
    2. Are you on a fixed margin? Then we are aiming for the same thing.
    3. You are going to submit my cv, Yes?

Then I would reply that I am happy for them to represent me with the client.

Otherwise, no thanks, seen multiple agency non-PSL shananigins cause agro, rate reducing changes to improve their margin, and as you say just holding on to your cv so no one else submits it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashwin2007 View Post
    I think both A and B have spoiled my chance for that contract.

Any good approach to deal with these situations?
    I think the minute this went wrong was when you mentioned the other agent to them both. I have been in a situation where 2 agents submitted me for a role, they said banking in Cheshire so to me they didn't tell me the client so I said 'As far as I am aware I have not been put forward to your client' and left it at that. It turned out both of them did and it caused a right tulip storm with them arguing who submitted first and being annoyed at me. I didn't get the gig and I always wonder if the client didn't want the hassle so went for a different guy, but anyway, the agents get very upset about dual submittal and who was first etc.

I believe as soon as it looked like there was an argument brewing they may have written you off who would be a 50/50 chance of getting paid (due to other agent cliaming first dibs) they will have gone for another guy who they know is theirs and will get them the money.

Although I don't tend to suggest you submit twice (because of this sort of issue) I would have at least kept quiet about the other agent. There is the argument that if you submit twice at least one will put you forward but also believe ending up being put forward by both can be detrimental in many cases just as it could have been here.

You got caught up in a bit of a no win situation here I am afraid.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    It looks like neither A nor B can be trusted. At least one of them is probably misrepresenting their relationship with the client.

Ring the client and explain what's been going on, and ask if they can give you the truth from the horse's mouth. They will probably be grateful for the insight into the realities of their procurement process.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    The only thing that will spoil your chances of getting the contract is not having your resume put forward at all.

Tell them both to put you forward, and the client can choose the one they prefer. Don't tell any agent about other jobs you have been put forward for, the are either phishing or they will start a fight with another agent. If they do find out then tell them to it out between each other and come to some agreement.

Leave a comment:

• configman
    replied
    Agent A called, discussed the role, sent the job desc, and asked me to send an email to them that I agree for them to represent me to the client.

After three days, Agency B called for the same role. I told them that another agency has submitted my resume to the client.

Agency B went to the client and checked that my resume has not been submitted by Agent A. Now I gave permission for Agent B to submit my resume to the client.

Agency A again calls on fourth day, did not still confirm if my resume was submitted. I told them that since my resume was not submitted by A, I have told B to submit it.

Now Agency A claims that my resume has not been submitted by Agency B, and they would proceed and submit my resume to the client based on my original email to them.

When asked to send an email confirming I agree for an agent to represent me I add conditions which must be confirmed in an email by return. Firstly, the agent is by request of the client representing the client for the contract. Secondly, that my CV has in fact been submitted. If I find out my CV wasn't submitted I have evidence to attach for a real agent to forward to the client - and it has been done. If any agent objects to my request, they don't get my permission and I do get some objections - but probably from those not on the PSL or trying to block me.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Go back to B and ask them to confirm that they did indeed send in your CV.

Not much else you can do, I certainly wouldn't waste anymore time on that contract. It may still come back to life, these things are rarely quick.
    WCS

You have to be firm and explicit up front. Find out if you are submitted and take no shit:

At sometime everyone of us has been stiched/compromised in this way.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Go back to B and ask them to confirm that they did indeed send in your CV.

Not much else you can do, I certainly wouldn't waste anymore time on that contract. It may still come back to life, these things are rarely quick.

Leave a comment:

• Ashwin2007
    started a topic CV Blocking by Agency

CV Blocking by Agency

Agent A called, discussed the role, sent the job desc, and asked me to send an email to them that I agree for them to represent me to the client.

After three days, Agency B called for the same role. I told them that another agency has submitted my resume to the client.

Agency B went to the client and checked that my resume has not been submitted by Agent A. Now I gave permission for Agent B to submit my resume to the client.

Agency A again calls on fourth day, did not still confirm if my resume was submitted. I told them that since my resume was not submitted by A, I have told B to submit it.

Now Agency A claims that my resume has not been submitted by Agency B, and they would proceed and submit my resume to the client based on my original email to them.

Working...
X