• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "When is it worth going contract?"

Collapse

• malvolio
    replied
    From the other end of the average working life, there is a subtly different perspective. I went freelance at 40-ish, initially because I'd run out of career options short of getting to a directorship (not probable - I'm too much of a maverick!) but also because I'd got fed up of having to answer to people less skilled and experienced than me (strictly IMHO - I suspect their view was different!). To a lesser extent, I was also tired of the office political game. Income was never part of the equation, since I always had enough money anyway. Now I can indulge in big holidays and if I want a Porsche I can get one, but it's the freedom and independence I like, not the material rewards.

Going back to the OP, if you want to match a net £75k package, you need £75 an hour, or 600 a day. If you can't make that and money is the motivator (it isn't, it's a comfort factor but you don't need management-speak), then stay where you are until your experience and seniority is enough that you can. If, however, you have the balls to ignore the income but go out and stand up by yourself, then do it. You won't look back

Oh, and by the way, make sure you do the legal research first in case people take the michael out of a newbie...

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Its pretty simple from my perspective... I make a very respectable income, and I dont want to work for any company for 20 years - I want a company to work for me, and I am 50% there.

Each to their own, and I have worked perm and contract, depending on which offered the best future opportunities to make a reasonable living.

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    "Too right. Having spent >20 years living out of a suitcase, trying to juggle family home etc I went permanent for an easy life...."

Funny that Tazman went contract in order to have an easier life than he did as a permie! Ha ha.

Thanks for all the post lads. Some interesting figures there. Not sure that I would get 500 a day anyway so, yeah, seems like all is good. I am either living like a student/or living it up on expenses so don't really need much money anyway. You always want to make the most for the effort you put in though, eh.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    TazMaN,

Too right. Having spent >20 years living out of a suitcase, trying to juggle family home etc I went permanent for an easy life....

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by DieScum
    At which hourly rate do you think it is worth going contract?

I'm permanent. I earn 53k basic, + 10% bonus, + 3% pension contribution + 22 days holiday a year + bank holidays. My bonus is not guaranteed but has always arrived as expected so far. So far I have 4 weeks of training courses for new/improved skills per year.
    DieScum,

Ok, let's assume anything you get is inside IR35.

You are looking for (in round figures): 53k + 6k er ni + 5k bouns + 6k training + 1k pension = 71k.

To keep like for like you have available 260 - 22 - 10 (bank holiday) - 20 training = 208 days to make 71k. Call it 350 a day. But this assumes that you are never ill and never between contracts.

You would therefore need a day rate of around 400 to be about the same, allowing for a little time between contracts.

If you can operate outside IR35 then you would probably be safe on the 350.

To be noticably better off you'd probably need to be in a hourly paid gig working longer hours.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Thanks for the insight ,Tazman. What made you want to stop the travel?

I am the same as you were but at the moment the travel is enjoyable. Good way to see the world. I have a few mates who have taken a year out to travel - I get paid to do it!

It suits at the moment. I am mid-twenties, no wife, no kids, girl in every port and friends dotted round everywhere. I suppose in a few years I will want to calm it down a bit. Might follow your example.
    DieScum

yep I was like you once ... in my 20's too lol.

No but seriously, yes I worked as a consultant/architect in a software company for most of my 20's. I used to enjoy travelling and having the good life on expenses -- good hotels, business class flights, £25 cognacs in Norway -- until post 2000, then it was all cheap stuff! I really enjoyed travelling around Europe and the US, and some of my best memories are there (American girls yum yum me all night long).

Then suddenly I realised I was losing my life back home -- friends / family would meet up without me, my weekends would fly by inbetween unpacking, washing clothes and re-packing for the flight on Monday, I was losing interest in my home etc etc. I just hit a brick wall and thought, No, this is enough, I want to be at home, I don't want to be away any more. Just getting a call from the Director telling me where the next client was would fill me with fear/regret/anger!

Then I met a girl, got married, now having a baby etc etc. Wouldn't mind escaping sometimes now hehe

Trust me you'll know when you've had enough.

Anyway if you really enjoy travelling, try finding a contract abroad. I saw one for myself in Oz recently, and I would mind doing that one day...

Leave a comment:

• el duder
    replied
    as a first time contractor in your mid-20's your not going to be able to demand £500 a day.

sorry for putting a slant on it for you.

but just being realistic.

i earn usually between £200/300 a day i am 29 with 5 yrs experience, and have a niche skill set

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    ... and to answer the question you actually asked...

roughly, equivalent cost to the employer is your annual salary divided by 100, per day. so 53k=530/day

it will feel like more, if you're working continuously. How much more depends on your rate. The more you are earning, the narrower the gap between how much you take home through full-time employment and how much you would earn as a contractor (so, someone on 300/day will take home probably 75-80% more than someone on 30k, but someone on 500/day will take home only 50-60% more than someone on 50k).

the differential between the two reflects:
    - the greater risk associated with contracting
    - the other benefits that an employee gets that you don't (or might choose not to pay for)
    - the different taxation regime that applies to salaried income vs. dividend income.

I've got a little spreadsheet that calculates revenue and income for different daily rates that you are welcome to if you pm me. (I am an XL Monkey after all)....

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Thanks for the insight ,Tazman. What made you want to stop the travel?

I am the same as you were but at the moment the travel is enjoyable. Good way to see the world. I have a few mates who have taken a year out to travel - I get paid to do it!

It suits at the moment. I am mid-twenties, no wife, no kids, girl in every port and friends dotted round everywhere. I suppose in a few years I will want to calm it down a bit. Might follow your example.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I battled with the same questions about 18 months ago, when I jumped ship from my 90k a year consultancy job (salary plus bonuses plus usual benefits) to take a contract. Reasons for the switch were in no way financial as you might imagine.

I made the move due to not wanting to travel any more -- at least not at the company's mandate. Now I can choose where to work, and I've put enough aside to be able to make that choice.

I probably come out slightly worse off financially (when you take into account company benefits) but I've been very happy with my choice of work locations! The job's boring and my career has stalled but I don't mind too much for the next couple of years - given that I'm skilled in a dying toolset.

Furthermore, financially, being paid a good rate enables you to decide how to spend/save it, i.e. you're not forced into a PAYE/training/4 weeks holiday/sickness/pension/healthcare/40% tax regime set by your employer. So you're free to split the 100k (assumed gross annual earnings at £500/day) anyway you want, after tax.

Having said that, if you're happy in your job and have good career opportunities, then stick it out - it's a decent package after all.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Well I enjoy the job and I am a conusltant so I spend my time on short term projects. Cerainly not the case of being stuck in one place. Been in three different countries over the last four weeks!

Just want to keep my eyes open. Wonder if a 500 quid a day contract would be worth it. Probably not...
    Well of course it is if its a year contract, if its 4 weeks then it isn't ...

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    Well I enjoy the job and I am a conusltant so I spend my time on short term projects. Cerainly not the case of being stuck in one place. Been in three different countries over the last four weeks!

Just want to keep my eyes open. Wonder if a 500 quid a day contract would be worth it. Probably not...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    If I'd had had that salary and perks, I wouldn't have bothered with contracting, at least not for financial reasons. If you hate your job and want more freedom, then that's a different issue.

But you don't say what you do. If you're one of the select few that can go get the financial programming jobs in the city at £600 per day, then I guess it probably would be worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    At which hourly rate do you think it is worth going contract?

I'm permanent. I earn 53k basic, + 10% bonus, + 3% pension contribution + 22 days holiday a year + bank holidays. My bonus is not guaranteed but has always arrived as expected so far. So far I have 4 weeks of training courses for new/improved skills per year.
    I agree. You may earn more per hour as a contractor, possibly up to double what you've quoted as your salary above. However, the contractor rate takes into account all benefits (which obviously hikes up your salary level quoted above), plus there are economic downturns to take into consideration which can seriously slash your overall yearly takings over a five year period, lack of employment rights (you could be dumped very quickly). Plus, of course you will probably have to deal regularly with pimps (recruiters from employment businesses) unless you have loads of contacts who can get you work without them).

Contracting is only suitable for some people who can't bear the thought of being in one place all the time and don't want their career path dictated to by employers. It's not necessarily any more lucrative than being in a good well paid permie job like yours. Unless you're attracted by the prospect of being time rich (between contracts when you can go abroad for months on end without needing special permission from your employer) then forget it.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Stay permie. You know it makes sense.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X