• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Agent tricks?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agent tricks?"

Collapse

• rz6bm7
    replied
    Hey for the first time in five years I can walk to work, no motorways no hotels no money ...

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I'll drink to that, one scumbag to another. >hic<

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    And this my dear boy is why agents are viewed as scum!

Regards

Mailman
    Agents, Scumbags?
    We most certainly are, in exactly the same way that contractors are so regarded by permies. Permies in turn are regarded as smelly scumbag geeks by people in finance sales and marketing, all of who are in turn regarded as scumbags by others.

I think we are all scumming around in the same bag

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by IT contract agent
    scum.....scum who pay full tax mailman!

Ahh so we now have the truth to the shady practices of some agents......jealousy

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    I too pay full tax but investigations I have been involved in show that not all agents pay tax - in fact I investigated one who was not even VAT registered but charged VAT. They would refuse to pay the VAT on a contractor invoice but would charge it to the client. Funny how it is that agents demand contractor VAT certificates but when asking for an agents vat cert they turn all nasty - how do contractors know you are paying your taxes.

You agents only ever seem to think that contractors are ever guilty of anything, and that all the laws are in your favour.

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rz6bm7
    replied
    Viewed as scum?!?!?,
    they are scum.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    more crap mailman. can change the rate or working conditions or hours or place of work before or after the contract has be signed.
    And this my dear boy is why agents are viewed as scum!

Regards

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Originally posted by privateeye
    Put the boot on the other foot, a contractor who had himself put forward for £40 per hour and this was agreed verbally now wants £50 - what do you as an agent do. I already know the answer - you tell them that you already have an agreement and it must be kept to.
    After I have agreed verbally to the job offer then as far as I am concerned thats the rate, but until then I am free to look around for a better job / rate and if one comes along then I can try re-negotiate the rate.

Leave a comment:

• rz6bm7
    replied
    The temptation of an extra couple of hours in bed in the morning , and all those saved travelling costs is tempting , they got me by the b*lls. any hope the car trade will pick up soon so these b'stards will be back selling dodgy motors??

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    more crap mailman. can change the rate or working conditions or hours or place of work before or after the contract has be signed.
    Only on agreement of all parties. A verbal contract is binding but as Mailman said is difficult if not impossible to prove. You are only able to change the contract because it is hard to prove and not because it is legal.

I am aware that a few agents inflate rates to attract more contractors than their competitiors then when an offer is made they suddenly drop the rate on offer.

Put the boot on the other foot, a contractor who had himself put forward for £40 per hour and this was agreed verbally now wants £50 - what do you as an agent do. I already know the answer - you tell them that you already have an agreement and it must be kept to.

If I get into this type of situation I just refuse the contract, and the agent is able to drop the contractor as well - simple solution.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    As Mordac says rates are wide open until the ink is dry, and in any case the client can give you notice and offer a new contract.

It is annoying but works both ways, any rate you agree verbally can be bumped up, by you, or the contract refused.

My experience is agents don't normally do that because they risk being blacklisted by the client if they were to try.

More likely is that the PM has been told to reduce the rate by the contracts or purchasing dept.

You can try and eat into the agents margin; I'm sure they will accept a certain cut.

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    If a rate has been agreed then thats the rate thats been agreed. It does not matter whether you have a signed contract or not because verbal agreements are just as enforceable as written contracts.

The only way out for these scum is if they can prove they are telling the truth.

Of course your problem is proving your verbal agreement is what you say it is...that and the time and effort you would waste doing that too!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Name and shame, my friend, name and shame....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X