• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in Switzerland"

Collapse

• weboo
    replied
    I have spoken with Global K today and they have no solution for Switzerland at the present time. But they have advised that I close down my limited in the UK and leave it dormant. Also to fill in a P85 when I leave and a P86 when I return.

As long as I am out of the UK for 1year and 1day, I am not liable for any tax if I come back on earnings abroad.
    Last edited by weboo; 22 February 2006, 12:48.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    In that case, surely it's better to become a Swiss resident, pay all your taxes en Suisse et dire au fisc français d'aller se faire foutre??? That's what I've done.
    Absolutely. That's what I've done now. But last year I was still in France, largely for personal reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    In that case, surely it's better to become a Swiss resident, pay all your taxes en Suisse et dire au fisc français d'aller se faire foutre??? That's what I've done.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    Are you a "frontalier", expat?
    No, just a resident in France, working in Switzerland. (Actually that was last year but French taxes linger like l'air Du Temps....)

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Are you a "frontalier", expat?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Normally and I think it is true for Switzerland, they just use your Swiss earnings to recalculate your marginal rate of tax.

That is you're not taxed on the Swiss earnings, but you pay tax at a higher rate on your UK earnings.

You need to check that, but this rule seems to be pretty universal in Europe.
    The way it works for me (working in Switzerland but also paying French tax because resident there) is this:
    Pay Swiss tax.
    Declare Swiss income to French taxman
    Pay French tax on all income including Swiss, but...
    Get credit against French tax due, for amount of Swiss tax paid.

This should come to exactly the same thing as your description, which does indeed explain better what the net effect will be, so I am not in any way disagreeing with you.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Normally and I think it is true for Switzerland, they just use your Swiss earnings to recalculate your marginal rate of tax.

That is you're not taxed on the Swiss earnings, but you pay tax at a higher rate on your UK earnings.

You need to check that, but this rule seems to be pretty universal in Europe.

Leave a comment:

• weboo
    replied
    Initially the contract was for 12 months, but I turned it down, as the money wasnt as good as I expected.

My agent then negotiated a higher rate with the bank I will be working with, but only over 6 months....the procurement dept had set levels/budgets to work with. So I needed to know quickly, and it could have taken more days to get the approval...so rather losing me, this is what they offered.

I um'd and ar'd about it, but they assured me that I will be getting an extension as the team was growing and already a few people short. They have also asked if I'd go perm after 12 months too..

At the end of the day, I am happy with the offer now...and moving the family at the original rate would have made me worry about the benefits of moving.

I just now need to find a school, nursery, place to live, local bar and get the wife something to do during the day apart from shopping.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by weboo
    I have learnt the following:
    - If you work for 6 months then come home, its true, you can be stung by Blair and co here
    Well, if you are resident in the UK (which is what that would make you) then you are liable to pay tax in the UK, but you will get a credit of tax already paid in Switzerland.

So the net effect is that you pay tax at the higher of the 2 countries' rates. It's not any special bizarre kind of sting, it's just paying UK tax.

Leave a comment:

• Harrysp
    replied
    Originally posted by weboo

- If you work for 6 months then come home, its true, you can be stung by Blair and co here
    Weboo, although you have a 6monther how do you know that it will last longer?

This is one of the aspects which is putting me off, i secured a contract out in Zurich, however if the contract doesnt get entended (which in my case I dont think it will as it is for a specific piece of work) and I do come back to the UK, the nice man from IR will give me a good spanking

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    >Just wondered if Switz had equiavalet of Travel lodge out there.

They have IBIS (cheap & cheerful) hotels. We stayed in the one in Bern when over there for the Arse v Thun game last year. Double rooms were about £45 per night.

Leave a comment:

• weboo
    replied
    I have returned from Zurich and met with my future employer. They are a great bunch or guys...all english too!(nothing against the swiss). I got the contract and I am waiting on the rate to be agreed.(if anyone knows what agents get 5/10/15/20% I'd like to know)

- You can use your Ltd company for a limited amount of time, but most contracts are LONG term, so is there any point in changing half way through?
    - I was given payslip that would demonstrate my monthly earnings(I requested this on a rate I thought I'd be offered). So say I was on 400 a day here and there, I would still take home 25% more.
    - You have to put into a pension and insurance when working in Switzerland, the insurance is a good idea as they do not have a NHS, the pension can be refunded when you leave...so a nice nest egg if you plan to only stay a year or two.

I am now left with the dilema or finding a place to live, & a school for my kids. If anyone can recommend something on the 13 tram, that would be great.

Leave a comment:

• YORKSMARK
    replied
    Agencies

Can anyone receommend any Swiss agencies, I am being pushed to a Swiss Umbrella company.

Also anyone know how to open an account in Switz, heard UBS are good, and can money be easily transferred back to UK.

I would probably work out there, 4 days and use Easy Jet to come back, checked fares out and this is cheaper than flying internally in UK

Just wondered if Switz had equiavalet of Travel lodge out there.

Also I have heard that if you contract for 6 months in Switz then contract in UK the UK tax guys can sting you for this.

Seems to be loads of activity in Switz at moment, anyone know why?

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    10k ALV unemployment

Do you have a source for the new amount 10k?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    clockwork

But some things do work very well, and not just the trains. I have just faxed off my January timesheet, then started typing an email to the agency to say I had done that. My typing was interrupted by an email from them saying it had been received and was being processed. The money will be in my account today.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X