• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Switzerland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Switzerland

Have been offered a contract in Switzerland whilst i am doing my own research wondered if any of you know of any pro's or con's to excepting a contract that is outside the EU.

Cheers

Switzerland is more restrictive than the EU, but taxes are low.

You can't operate your Ltd in Switzerland, well not like you can elsewhere, plus you get restricted resident permits so you have to f** off if your contract ends.

If you want a European base it is definitely much easier in the EU, as you can sort of flit around and keep your flat/house there.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      Switzerland is more restrictive than the EU, but taxes are low.

You can't operate your Ltd in Switzerland, well not like you can elsewhere, plus you get restricted resident permits so you have to f** off if your contract ends.

If you want a European base it is definitely much easier in the EU, as you can sort of flit around and keep your flat/house there.
      It's great there - after 1 year of contracting on £100K ish, you can get about £2K per month unemployment benefit - know a couple of blokes who are doing it ...

Comment

That is correct, you're entitled to unemployment benefit of up to 10000 SFR a month (or is it 70%- not sure), but anyway shed loads of dosh, that is until your resident permit runs out.

The rates though generally aren't that great.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Actually your unemployment is capped at 70% of 8900 CHF a month (80% if you're married)

Pretty sweet deal, and it can go up to 18 months, provided you paid into the system during the previous 12 months.

But if you are of EU nationality, you are still entitled to unemployment insurance. Your permit will be renewed up until your 18 months have expired. Well that is if you have a B-permit (i.e. residence permit), I'm not too sure what the rules are for L-Permit holders (which you typically will get if you are a contractor), but if I understood correctly, the rules have changed recently and again you are elligible for unemployment benefit until you've hit the 18 months.

Comment

Its CHF 10,000 as of 2006.

L-permit holders are entitled presumably until the permit runs out, max 6-months, didn't see any restrictions on the conditions.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 27 January 2006, 11:19.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have also been asked about a possible contract in Zurich/Switzerland, but I do not plan to stay to get any bens, just come back to the UK when the 6 months is up and no extension is offered.

The first place I looked was the overseas guides on this site, but Switzerland is no longer listed.

If I go for the 6 months being offered and perhaps get get an extenstion, then I'll also have to look at bringing my wife and kids over

Does anyone know

1. Can I easily get my girls into and english nursery or school, short term if poss
              2. What is the cost of living like..food, entertainment, renting
              3. Is it best to get a ltd company over there, or use my current uk based company?

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by weboo
                I have also been asked about a possible contract in Zurich/Switzerland, but I do not plan to stay to get any bens, just come back to the UK when the 6 months is up and no extension is offered.

The first place I looked was the overseas guides on this site, but Switzerland is no longer listed.

If I go for the 6 months being offered and perhaps get get an extenstion, then I'll also have to look at bringing my wife and kids over

Does anyone know

1. Can I easily get my girls into and english nursery or school, short term if poss
                2. What is the cost of living like..food, entertainment, renting
                3. Is it best to get a ltd company over there, or use my current uk based company?

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated.
                AIUI you have to be taken on as an employee by a Swiss company to get the visa. Normally this would be the agency.

I find it expensive, and survey indexes show the same.

I don't know about the education.

Among the points:
                As a non-resident you can get 1500CHF/m tax free, make sure your agency does this. This is supposed to be because you will have expenses associated with being away from home.
                As with e.g. Germany, there is a Church Tax on your income. Not payable by those who deny having anything to do with any church.
                Get your agency to go with you to open a bank account, and pref. to register with the city too. The sooner you do those things, the sooner you can get a mobile phone contract, internet connection, etc.

Comment

Don't know about schools, but couldn't imagine a great problem, usually you have a choice between private international schools or the local ones.

Switzerland is expensive to rent but unlike London you can live in the suburb and commute in easily (you can almost walk, the towns are so small) so in effect ends up cheaper. Things generally are expensive in Switzerland.

You can only operate through a Swiss company not your Ltd. It is possible to set up your own Swiss company but it is far more complicated than a Ltd. Normally you end up an employee of the agency.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Some good info and I guess I'll have to talk to the agent about the visa and not use my uk ltd company at all.

Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X