• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Software costs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Software costs"

Collapse

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're not being paid to build a wall. Pushing your analogies.

Suppose not

Leave a comment:

• ITContractorUK
    replied
    As for PCG, I'd recommend one of those new-fangled search engines.
    To clarify, I did find Home | PCG but could not find any information about insurances. But will look again.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Get the standard edition of VS2010, if you require Ultimate for TFS and so on then that's the client's issue since they want you to integrate with their processes.

As for PCG, I'd recommend one of those new-fangled search engines.

Leave a comment:

• ITContractorUK
    replied
    Well, some of the things I have seen and which I work with at the moment requires you to have VS2010 Ultimate edition which is really expensive and not included WebsiteSparks (that I know of).

Anyway, what is that PCG you mentioned? Insurances?

Leave a comment:

• DotNetDeveloper
    replied
    Personally I use my own laptop and software as I am uber paranoid about IR35, but also just like to have my own equipment. This wont always be possible though, depends on the gig.

Do what I did and signup for WebsiteSparks - you get Visual Studio 2010 for free in this package, as well as a license for SQL Server Web Edition & Windows Server 2007. You just need to set a website live in 6 months time. I'd recommend buying the developer version of SQL Server, its only something like £40.

Sign up for PCG as well, it'll cover pretty much all the insurances you need to worry about.

HTH & Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    Really ?

If someone turns up to build me a wall I don't expect to be providing them with the equipment to do the job

I would always expect to be using my own laptop and software. Only if the client had some real security issues with that approach would I be expecting to use their stuff.

One contractor I previously worked with had never in his contracting career of 15 years has been required to use his own laptop or software.

There as I have but have always been given the versions or the appropriate licenses for the software required.

Hence every client and situation is different.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by lxt04 View Post

Originally Posted by oversteer
    The company will generally provide PC / software for you to use. It would be very unusual if they didn't.

I'm sorry, but this simply isn't true.

One of the main distinctions between a contractor and an employee is the provision of equipment. Read this:

HM Revenue & Customs: Employment status

Now, some companies may choose to provision contractors with computers for security reasons, but many don't. And it's perfectly normal for companies to expect contractors to bring their own software. It very much depends on the role, company, and job. This isn't simply a small/large company divide either - I bring and use my own equipment for development to a big FTSE100 client on a regular basis.
    On paper, correct, the distinctions between contrator and employee you refer to are true. In reality however, what Oversteer states is more common.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    You're not being paid to build a wall. Pushing your analogies.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Originally posted by oversteer View Post
    The company will generally provide PC / software for you to use. It would be very unusual if they didn't.

If you have any personal software / IDE etc you prefer using, then you should bring it on a USB etc, and be prepared to get into battles with the IT department on getting the permission to install it..
    Really ?

If someone turns up to build me a wall I don't expect to be providing them with the equipment to do the job

I would always expect to be using my own laptop and software. Only if the client had some real security issues with that approach would I be expecting to use their stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ITContractorUK
    replied
    Ok, thanks for all your replies. I will factor in my own hardware/software in my calculations, its nice to have anyway anyway in order to be able to do other dev work as well.

I am now more worried about this though: "Don't bet on there being that many real jobs tho my recent search shows the same few jobs appearing multiple times. "

I assumed that it would be fairly easy to find contract jobs around London and Cambridge but I might have to re-think that?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Interesting SpaceCadet, I'm quite impressed you managed to get that approach working so often with IT departments who presumably aren't used to such things. How do you go about this - inform them in advance or turn up with your own laptop and just ignore the PC they put on your desktop? Do you even tell the IT people, or do you let them supply you a nework login and use it on your own PC?
    All my contracts have been project work and most of them required travelling between different sites as and when.
    When they offer a laptop I just tell them to keep it spare, most PMs are happy not to have to spend extra money and simply reallocate it to one of the permies.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by FarmerPalmer View Post
    If you are given an email address at client co then just set it to forward to your business email address and use that.
    Oddly enough.. again a lot of companies won't allow this, particularly if you are using web based mail lol...

If the client insists on his hardware, take your own in as well and connect via whatever wireless option they have for consultants so you have all bases covered.

As Sue said every situation is different.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Only thing which is a pain in the arse is when you end up having to use their web mail system
    If you are given an email address at client co then just set it to forward to your business email address and use that.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Interesting SpaceCadet, I'm quite impressed you managed to get that approach working so often with IT departments who presumably aren't used to such things. How do you go about this - inform them in advance or turn up with your own laptop and just ignore the PC they put on your desktop? Do you even tell the IT people, or do you let them supply you a nework login and use it on your own PC?

To the original poster... I get the impression most 'proper' contracting roles involve being given a workstation like everyone else has. If you are freelancing rather than contracting though, that's different. And if the work you're doing is on a new system requiring software they don't already use (like Expression for example) then having your own copy might be sensible.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    These days I usually insist on using my own laptop and software unless they have certain special arrangements which would preclude that i.e. data sensitivity

out of 7 contracts in the past 4 and half years I've used my own laptop on 4 of them..
    I've bought and paid for all the dev software I use/need and can get a full test rig running on my laptop independantly of their systems. It's great for working from home without VPN.

Only thing which is a pain in the arse is when you end up having to use their web mail system

It depends on what you do but it's not about playing "the game", unless the game is being a decent consultant who can turn up on day 1 with all the tools required to do the job!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X