• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "3 months notice - normal?"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by mobi View Post
    I received an offer for a permie roll. Salary is quite good. However, the contract says 3-months notice period in case of termination (on either side).
    Most higher end jobs have this. Last permie job I had this was generally negotiated down to 1 month at leaving time.

If you want to leave then quietly start organising your handover and skills sharing a few months before and then when it comes time to give notice, you have a strong case for 1 month notice. Failing that, join the Union and get the rep to advise you.

Can work in your favour though, I got made redundant with 3 months notice which was good for me at the time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Surely a laptop + docking station would be simpler and cheaper?
    The reasoning behind having both is so that we had no excuse not to be able to work from home or anywhere. (They forgot the fact that I decide when I answer my mobile phone)

The desktops meant we didn't have to lug laptops in on public transport plus they were easier to upgrade so ended up having more RAM.

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Anyway some places will still have to use desktops to stop valuable data walking out the door and being left in the pub/train/supermarket carpark
    They also have the advantage that your employees aren't likely to break them rendering the entire thing useless.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are reasons for firms to still want to use desktops.

If they have had people complain of backache or whatever from working then it's easier for them to say they do and actually comply with Health and Safety (Display Screen) regulations.

I've worked in places where you had to have a laptop AND a desktop.
    Surely a laptop + docking station would be simpler and cheaper?

Anyway some places will still have to use desktops to stop valuable data walking out the door and being left in the pub/train/supermarket carpark

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I received an offer for a permie roll. Salary is quite good. However, the contract says 3-months notice period in case of termination (on either side).

Now I find it quite unusual. Standard practice is 1-month notice period.
    It's not unusual unless you are a trainee or someone without any knowledge worth poaching.

Most people negotiate when they need to leave and if the new company has nothing to do with the old company they can usually get it down between 1 month to 6 weeks. Also there are places where as soon as you say you are leaving your notice is gardening leave.

Also, I learnt that they work in desktop computers! Last 5 years I always got a laptop wherever I worked.
    There are reasons for firms to still want to use desktops.

If they have had people complain of backache or whatever from working then it's easier for them to say they do and actually comply with Health and Safety (Display Screen) regulations.

I've worked in places where you had to have a laptop AND a desktop.

Leave a comment:

• aceboy
    replied
    Bank Of America & RBS have a 3 mth notice period above a certain grade...

It can & does put off potential employers looking to poach you!!

Leave a comment:

• mobi
    replied
    Although it's probably an indication of the co's attitude to flexible working.
    You hit the nail in the head. After 2005, all places I worked, I could clearly see the contrast

Laptop - company management encourages flexible working (eg. different time slot, working from home etc.)
    Desktop - you still work from home using VPN but you've to use your own computer and you have to beg for that privilege even for 1-2 days per month.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied

Also, I learnt that they work in desktop computers! Last 5 years I always got a laptop wherever I worked.
    Every permie role I've had in the last 15 years has been on 3 months notice. Not at all unusual. Only ones I've ever come accross that were different were for trainee's and bottom of the food chain tech support monkeys who were on one month.

Laptop desktop thing is neither here nor there really. Although it's probably an indication of the co's attitude to flexible working.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    not specifically true about "must pay me 3 months", a well known and easy to apply trick is that your contract will say payment will be made for services given as detailed in terms & conditions, then in the terms and conditions it states that client must agree to and approve all services given.. client co. wants rid of you, give you the 3 months notice then tells you there is no further work available for you to do but if there is then they'll let you know.. no work means no services given, no services given means no payment and therefore the 3 month notice period means jack sh!t on there side, however if you want to leave early you can't without serving the time or replacing yourself with a suitable replacement.

EDIT: oops didn't read OP, permie role, ignore all I said above

Leave a comment:

• mobi
    replied
    It is not too senior role - sort of mid management with more technology focus role. I know it is standard for very senior (director level) roles (also at those level people don't really have probationary period) but never heard in a standard role.

But why companies do it? Obviously not benefit for employees? If you ever want to leave, you need to quit your job and then search for another one as no new employer will wait 3 months for you to join.

Yes, to kick me out of company they also need to pay me for 3 months, but under normal circusmstances (now market has recovered) usually it is the employee who looks for greener pastures

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Not abnormal.

I was on 3 months when I left my last perm role.

Depends on seniority, skillset, importance to the project etc....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    3 months ins't unheard of. It is generally for senior or key staff but can be applied to anyone at their discretion. Nothing wrong with that.

The laptop / desktop thing depends on what you are doing. If you work at a desk and have no need to move whatsoever giving you a laptop is just stupid and someone wants shooting. You can't just go by what happened before, you have to look at each situation on it's own merits. Might even just be down to what they had spare etc

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I'd take that as good news: if they want to boot you out, they have to pay you for 3 months

Leave a comment:

• mobi
    started a topic 3 months notice - normal?

3 months notice - normal?

Working...
X