• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Breaking into Project Management"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    At least you appear to be a native English speaker, that's a better start than some.
    Where is the smile with that sentence?

Please rephrase the whole sentence in one of the following way:

a) Add a couple of smiles here and there

b) Add the usual - "go back where you belong instead of stealing my job"

c) Include a summary of your genealogical tree where you can show your seventh generation in this country and prove your ancestral superiority

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    I am a contract PM with x number years experience - pretty good at what I do (without sounding whatever) and lucky to have had virtual back to back contracts over the past couple of years.

Breaking into PM / IT PM / PMO / PSO / Planning - is always possible. However in my experience and HO there is no such role as a contract Junior Project Manager - you are either a PM or you are not.

However, you a probably going to get the best oportunities to break into and also progress as a junior PM initially as a permie, because even contract level PMO/PSO roles (which is the advisable route to start) require a couple of years experience in this area.

If you are not sure what PMO/PSO is, do your homework first, and map out how you wish to progress.

PRINCE2 is valuable to a point, but is more of a value add (or leveller) on a CV than anything else in this current market.

Leave a comment:

• Worzel
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Can you explain what a technical PM is? Do you mean a development manager, or do you mean an IT PM?

PM's do nothing technical, in fact that is the most difficult step in moving from a technical role to a management role: you don't do the doing any more, your role is to ensure that other people can do the doing.
    HTH
    My experience is the same, PM's do nothing technical however there do seem to be quite a few job ad's where they ask for a "technical" Project manager. In these cases they want someone who has at least done the tech side of things before so has a greater appreciation for it rather than just another Prince 2 box ticker
    Last edited by Worzel; 29 March 2010, 18:30.

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Originally posted by peterc2609 View Post
    For a few weeks, I thought I had my ideal break... back into an old client as a kind of Junior Tech Project Manager, but it looks like its fell through, so as of Friday I'm on the bench.

Any tips on how to break in to PM'ing? I've got my PRINCE2, but woundering how to get the experience... its one of those viscious circles... any ideas?

Thanks
    Can you explain what a technical PM is? Do you mean a development manager, or do you mean an IT PM?

PM's do nothing technical, in fact that is the most difficult step in moving from a technical role to a management role: you don't do the doing any more, your role is to ensure that other people can do the doing.

I think people have already summed it up. At the moment, there are too many good, seasoned PMs on the lookout for work. Now may not be the best time to be making the switch. But it could be a good time to start to lay the foundations, such as becoming the technical lead on a workstream.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    As others have said the PM market is somewhat flooded at the present time with plenty of people who're actually experienced (5-10+ years) on the bench.

Prince2 is a handy box to tick, but it sure as hell doesn't teach you how to manage projects, most clients realised that a while back.

Budgets are tight so new projects aren't being kicked off, no new projects = no demand for Project Managers. Existing projects and BAU operations need far more tech staff than Project Managers so the market won't pick up until after the Election and probably won't then since everyone knows that austerity measures are on the cards.

Leave a comment:

• MrHelpful
    replied
    Agree with a lot of posts on here. I am an experienced PM - well 5+ years and have to say the market is saturated at the moment and competition is strife! I would try if I was you not be a generic PM and if in a niche industry that will help differentiate you from the others. I have been looking for 2mnths now - so I am just forwarning you!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Dunno about PMing as a career step, probably a bad idea right now for the reasons given. Lots of people looking for Project Planners though... just not in IT. So look a little wider, it's not all about tin and wires.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    For a few weeks, I thought I had my ideal break... back into an old client as a kind of Junior Tech Project Manager, but it looks like its fell through, so as of Friday I'm on the bench.

Any tips on how to break in to PM'ing? I've got my PRINCE2, but woundering how to get the experience... its one of those viscious circles... any ideas?

Thanks

I did the same when I was made redundant. Years of experience as a manager of various support/service teams within a large corporate outsourcer but nothing I though would fit anything in contracting world so tried PM and got absolutely nowhere.

I did a bit of a U-turn and started looking at workstream leads/tech deployment kind of thing. The same as I was doing before really. Needs a mix of team mgt, project mgt and tech knowledge and was surprised to find quite a few of these roles. Did a couple of them until I got a workstream that was big enough to be a project in itself, own budget and so on just wasn't classed as such where I was. Didn't matter to me, got the experience and then stuck it on my CV.

Have a look for more roles like that so you are delivering to a project, it gets you experience in an environment even if it is not at the coal face. Next step up from there with a lot of look for very creative CV would be a PM.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    I think the OP was hoping for some advice from "real people", rather than google, which is fair enough?

It's a hard time to be asking for advice on how to get a gig I think, OP.

Good luck though.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Ok apologies all..bad mood
    to the OP...

Please do plenty of research before just posting open questions...there is enough info out there. If you don't do this then some people (me) may feel you're not cut out for your intentions and find it hard to bite their tongue.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Olly, I'd reserve that tone for posting in general.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    And are you interviewing me online for a position I don't know about? If not, then please don't patronise me and start asking questions like you have.
    No I'm actually being constructive rather than taking the piss.

It will allow myself and the forum to gauge whether you have a hope in hells chance of even landing something in the right ball park.

Actually sod it, I'm not interested. You can use Google. If you're serious then do what you need to do and grow a pair.

I personally enjoy a bit of banter with the flipless and for those that make the effort I'll try to as well.

Leave a comment:

• peterc2609
    replied
    No I have NO idea what you mean. You asked what PMO is but say you know the answer. Are you just checking we all know? That's very kind of you.

What are you technically skilled in, to what level and how much experience do you have? In addition what PM, leadership skills do you offer.

I get the impression you're a kid. At least you appear to be a native English speaker, that's a better start than some.
    Some very touchy people on here...

No I'm not a kid, yes I'm a native english speaker.

And are you interviewing me online for a position I don't know about? If not, then please don't patronise me and start asking questions like you have.

I asked for some info, which other people gave. If you have nothing constructive to say, then please keep it to yourself.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    No I have NO idea what you mean. You asked what PMO is but say you know the answer. Are you just checking we all know? That's very kind of you.

What are you technically skilled in, to what level and for how much experience do you have? In addition what PM, leadership skills do you offer.

I get the impression you're a kid. At least you appear to be a native English speaker, that's a better start than some.
    Ouch..!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    LOL

I do know what PMO is, I had just always thought of it as kind of admin.
    On second thoughts, perhaps not. Project Support is what you're thinking of. As someone who's implementing and running a PMO function at the moment, I take exception to my team being referred to as admin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X