• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cut In Day Rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cut In Day Rate"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by gryphon View Post
    Learnt a long time ago not to walk unless i've got something to walk to. There are feelers out, i have one cracker in the pipeline but doubt if it'll come off.
    If the worst came to the worst i'd incur the drop short term while looking to jump asap.
    If the drop is coming, then you will need a new contract. When the new contract is being negotiated, make sure that your notice period drops significantly so you can get out of there quickly - depending on how harsh the rate is, tell them you will accept but only if the notice period becomes 1 day.

Leave a comment:

• gryphon
    replied
    Learnt a long time ago not to walk unless i've got something to walk to. There are feelers out, i have one cracker in the pipeline but doubt if it'll come off.
    If the worst came to the worst i'd incur the drop short term while looking to jump asap.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    You may be about to find out.

Personally, I'd put the feelers out at the client to find out if the drop is
    a) coming from the client or the agency
    b) just for you
    Yep - ask those 1st before you threaten to walk...

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    I would like to think i have a lot of clout with client.
    You may be about to find out.

Personally, I'd put the feelers out at the client to find out if the drop is
    a) coming from the client or the agency
    b) just for you

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    That will depend on how much margin they're getting in the 1st place - the agents might be in a weak position over this - I know that telcos have been pushing hard with their PSL's many agencies in this position have a very small margin per individual...

Basically it will come down to how much the client wants him, will they care if he walks?
    WS(H?)S

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    If the charge rate from the agent to the client is being dropped as a consequence of hard negotiation then you should be able to tell the agent to eat the reduction in their margin without expecting you to lower your charge rate.

The unilateral reduction in rate that's being suggested here should be fought off - it's the agents commercial decision to take the reduced charge rate.
    That will depend on how much margin they're getting in the 1st place - the agents might be in a weak position over this - I know that telcos have been pushing hard with their PSL's many agencies in this position have a very small margin per individual...

Basically it will come down to how much the client wants him, will they care if he walks?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    If the charge rate from the agent to the client is being dropped as a consequence of hard negotiation then you should be able to tell the agent to eat the reduction in their margin without expecting you to lower your charge rate.

The unilateral reduction in rate that's being suggested here should be fought off - it's the agents commercial decision to take the reduced charge rate.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Good - then use that, not the PAYE angle.

Leave a comment:

• gryphon
    replied
    I would like to think i have a lot of clout with client.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Agents won't be interested in the niceties of your argument.

How much leverage do you have with the client? (Would they miss you if you go?)

If you have leverage tell them you're leaving if they drop your rate - they may back off.

If you're a 'bum on seat' (one developer in a sea of them) then it's a case of take it or leave it, I'm afraid...

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Hi guys.
    It looks like the agency i am through are cutting the day rate we are on. No money has been mentioned yet but if rumour control is right there will only be a £10 difference between Ltd company and PAYE.
    Is there a rule of thumb i can argue to say well if X is the PAYE then i should be on at least X+
    No. Next.

Leave a comment:

• gryphon
    started a topic Cut In Day Rate

Cut In Day Rate

Hi guys.
    It looks like the agency i am through are cutting the day rate we are on. No money has been mentioned yet but if rumour control is right there will only be a £10 difference between Ltd company and PAYE.
    Is there a rule of thumb i can argue to say well if X is the PAYE then i should be on at least X+

Working...
X