• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Depressing

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Depressing"

Collapse

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Considering how many times I've seen you use txtspk in posts you might want to avoid lobbing stones while resident in a glass house.
    Dat's cos I'm down wiv da kidz!

It's a sad case of McKean's Law I'm afraid......

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    'Inconsistencies' - sorry!
    Considering how many times I've seen you use txtspk in posts you might want to avoid lobbing stones while resident in a glass house.

I know my spelling can be weak, but I find txtspk utterly unreadable.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by coultog View Post
    This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting [b]inconsistancies/b]. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.

Might be worth looking at your CV again and double checking spelling, formatting and generally look at it with fresh eyes.

He's applied for hundreds of jobs with no interviews - I'm not saying the above applies to all of those jobs, but I guess a fair few have disregarded him for those reasons.
    'Inconsistencies' - sorry!

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by coultog View Post
    This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting inconsistancies. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.
    I've seen loads of CV's riddled with basic errors while hiring, the number of errors has increased exponentially since txtspk became fashionable. People are so used to using it in instant messages, texts and even message boards that they forget that it's total gibberish.

People who use there/their/they're in the wrong places (or more commonly there in every instance) and I've even seen several cases of U and UR even one from a "senior" BA who claimed to be a documentation expert. I've seen a fair few with no real punctuation.

I instabin CV's with basic errors as if people can't be bothered to check their CV's then odds are they will have the same sloppy attitude to the actual project work.

Back to the original post, as the others have said 50 ish applications really isn't a lot especially in the current climate. A well written CV, flexible attitude and downright persistence is essential.

Leave a comment:

• coultog
    replied
    This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting inconsistancies. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.

Might be worth looking at your CV again and double checking spelling, formatting and generally look at it with fresh eyes.

He's applied for hundreds of jobs with no interviews - I'm not saying the above applies to all of those jobs, but I guess a fair few have disregarded him for those reasons.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    I started a data migration project on Monday only for it to get binned on the Wednesday... now that's depressing.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    In a market like this, making a response to job adverts is frequently unproductive. Your best chance is when an agent contacts you.

At the end of the day, it is just a numbers game.

Leave a comment:

• Rangster
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    You're not trying hard enough. And you are whining far too early.

Took me 350-400 applications and 7 months to get off the bench.

Come back when you've really worked at it.
    Fair point!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Rangster View Post
    50+ applications, one call back and that it. Depressing.
    You're not trying hard enough. And you are whining far too early.

Took me 350-400 applications and 7 months to get off the bench.

Come back when you've really worked at it.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    that cheered me up....

then i remembered that 98% of those BA roles were banking ones, and I can't get my foot in the door for banking PM contracts

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
    I can't get over how many BA roles there are....thinking of taking a junior BA perm role for 6 months to learn the job, and then go back into contracting for BA roles...

good rates too - usually £300 plus, same as a PM some better..
    Considering BA's are usually taken on right at the beginning of projects this can only bode well for everyone else

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    just applied to a NHS PM role that was paying something around £150.. after living and travelling expenses, I'd be better off stacking shelves and delivering pizzas locally....

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    I can't get over how many BA roles there are....thinking of taking a junior BA perm role for 6 months to learn the job, and then go back into contracting for BA roles...

good rates too - usually £300 plus, same as a PM some better..

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I am looking for generic public sector project management work - as are thousands of other people - or work in my chosen niche sector (which I shall not reveal) which has been very thin on the ground.
    Can't be that thin on the ground if you've made 500 applications. I've made 3, but in the last couple of weeks. To be honest at no point in my 4 1/2 years as a contractor have I looked at the job boards and seen lots of jobs that I could do; it's always been 3 or 4 at most. So now doesn't seem that much worse.

Maybe it's time to obtain some in demand skills.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Rangster View Post
    Haha, I did mean in getting responses/interviews even if no joy with signing one up
    A handful of interviews but no offers yet.

I am looking for generic public sector project management work - as are thousands of other people - or work in my chosen niche sector (which I shall not reveal) which has been very thin on the ground.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X