• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rangster View Post
    Haha, I did mean in getting responses/interviews even if no joy with signing one up
    A handful of interviews but no offers yet.

I am looking for generic public sector project management work - as are thousands of other people - or work in my chosen niche sector (which I shall not reveal) which has been very thin on the ground.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
      I am looking for generic public sector project management work - as are thousands of other people - or work in my chosen niche sector (which I shall not reveal) which has been very thin on the ground.
      Can't be that thin on the ground if you've made 500 applications. I've made 3, but in the last couple of weeks. To be honest at no point in my 4 1/2 years as a contractor have I looked at the job boards and seen lots of jobs that I could do; it's always been 3 or 4 at most. So now doesn't seem that much worse.

Maybe it's time to obtain some in demand skills.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I can't get over how many BA roles there are....thinking of taking a junior BA perm role for 6 months to learn the job, and then go back into contracting for BA roles...

good rates too - usually £300 plus, same as a PM some better..

Comment

just applied to a NHS PM role that was paying something around £150.. after living and travelling expenses, I'd be better off stacking shelves and delivering pizzas locally....

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
            I can't get over how many BA roles there are....thinking of taking a junior BA perm role for 6 months to learn the job, and then go back into contracting for BA roles...

good rates too - usually £300 plus, same as a PM some better..
            Considering BA's are usually taken on right at the beginning of projects this can only bode well for everyone else
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

that cheered me up....

then i remembered that 98% of those BA roles were banking ones, and I can't get my foot in the door for banking PM contracts

Comment

Originally posted by Rangster View Post
                50+ applications, one call back and that it. Depressing.
                You're not trying hard enough. And you are whining far too early.

Took me 350-400 applications and 7 months to get off the bench.

Come back when you've really worked at it.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  You're not trying hard enough. And you are whining far too early.

Took me 350-400 applications and 7 months to get off the bench.

Come back when you've really worked at it.
                  Fair point!

Comment

In a market like this, making a response to job adverts is frequently unproductive. Your best chance is when an agent contacts you.

At the end of the day, it is just a numbers game.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I started a data migration project on Monday only for it to get binned on the Wednesday... now that's depressing.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X