• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Depressing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting inconsistancies. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.

Might be worth looking at your CV again and double checking spelling, formatting and generally look at it with fresh eyes.

He's applied for hundreds of jobs with no interviews - I'm not saying the above applies to all of those jobs, but I guess a fair few have disregarded him for those reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by coultog View Post
      This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting inconsistancies. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.
      I've seen loads of CV's riddled with basic errors while hiring, the number of errors has increased exponentially since txtspk became fashionable. People are so used to using it in instant messages, texts and even message boards that they forget that it's total gibberish.

People who use there/their/they're in the wrong places (or more commonly there in every instance) and I've even seen several cases of U and UR even one from a "senior" BA who claimed to be a documentation expert. I've seen a fair few with no real punctuation.

I instabin CV's with basic errors as if people can't be bothered to check their CV's then odds are they will have the same sloppy attitude to the actual project work.

Back to the original post, as the others have said 50 ish applications really isn't a lot especially in the current climate. A well written CV, flexible attitude and downright persistence is essential.

Comment

Originally posted by coultog View Post
        This may not be relevant to most of you, but I recently looked at a CV for a guy applying for £400 p/d PM roles. Sadly it had spelling mistakes and loads of formatting [b]inconsistancies/b]. I told him if I had received his CV, I wouldn't have interviewed him as it was too sloppy.

Might be worth looking at your CV again and double checking spelling, formatting and generally look at it with fresh eyes.

He's applied for hundreds of jobs with no interviews - I'm not saying the above applies to all of those jobs, but I guess a fair few have disregarded him for those reasons.
        'Inconsistencies' - sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          'Inconsistencies' - sorry!
          Considering how many times I've seen you use txtspk in posts you might want to avoid lobbing stones while resident in a glass house.

I know my spelling can be weak, but I find txtspk utterly unreadable.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Considering how many times I've seen you use txtspk in posts you might want to avoid lobbing stones while resident in a glass house.
            Dat's cos I'm down wiv da kidz!

It's a sad case of McKean's Law I'm afraid......

Comment

Working...
            X