• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hays to renwew your security clearence.. for a fee?!"

Collapse

• Tingles
    replied
    So what happens if every agency has a £50 charge?

Grow a pair!

Leave a comment:

• badger7579
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
    You do have a choice. And by paying you are now supporting their scheme.
    There are lots of other agencies to deal with, not often or at all that Hays are a sole supplier. I wouldn`t pay it if even on the bench, I stick to my principles , I(we) have a choice .

Would be interested to hear of your experience in this scheme!
    WHS, even if I was on the bench they can go jump. Robbing barstewards

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Joner39 View Post
    Well, we've now seen how Hays intend to get around thier previously disgusting charge. Unfortunately, in these times I have no choice. I shall pay and join Hays rip-off club. I would prefer honesty from them "We are skint and looking for a way to even out our margine so we're going to charge you £50 a year". Times are hard and calling for tough decisions from everyone. Hays are to big to fight on this and they know it. This stinks of arrogance and bullying in the market place but I guess they are only the first.......

Unfortunately, they have worded thier email to make it a "Club" with a pointless and waste of time newsletter along with other un-needed benifits. So, I pay my money, never hear from them again as far as getting my next SC Cleared role goes................
    You do have a choice. And by paying you are now supporting their scheme.
    There are lots of other agencies to deal with, not often or at all that Hays are a sole supplier. I wouldn`t pay it if even on the bench, I stick to my principles , I(we) have a choice .

Would be interested to hear of your experience in this scheme!

Leave a comment:

• Joner39
    replied
    At it from another direction

Well, we've now seen how Hays intend to get around thier previously disgusting charge. Unfortunately, in these times I have no choice. I shall pay and join Hays rip-off club. I would prefer honesty from them "We are skint and looking for a way to even out our margine so we're going to charge you £50 a year". Times are hard and calling for tough decisions from everyone. Hays are to big to fight on this and they know it. This stinks of arrogance and bullying in the market place but I guess they are only the first.......

Unfortunately, they have worded thier email to make it a "Club" with a pointless and waste of time newsletter along with other un-needed benifits. So, I pay my money, never hear from them again as far as getting my next SC Cleared role goes................

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Reading between the lines it appears that all they're offering is a service for security cleared individuals to have first dibs on any contracts that come their way.
    Will it work like that in practice, probably not. They owe it to themselves and the client to put the best/most suitable candidates forward and if those are not part of the scheme, they`ll get put forward or Hays risk losing out to another agency.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Olly View Post
    I've been in touch with the first time this cropped up as I am more than willing to pay a sizeable sum to become security cleared.

They are NOT offering this, although the way they continue to word this stuff it could lead you to believe they are.

Nor are they offering to do renewals/maintenance as far as I can see.

Anybody who is cleared want to substitute me in their role? Much cheapness.....P.S. I'm actually serious about that.
    Data analyst / BA - did work security cleared stuff on MOD anti submarine helicopter simulator updates (c / Unix) for a bit.
    Reading between the lines it appears that all they're offering is a service for security cleared individuals to have first dibs on any contracts that come their way.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    I don`t think they are offering to clear folks without SC, just renew/maintain for existing.
    I've been in touch with the first time this cropped up as I am more than willing to pay a sizeable sum to become security cleared.

They are NOT offering this, although the way they continue to word this stuff it could lead you to believe they are.

Nor are they offering to do renewals/maintenance as far as I can see.

Anybody who is cleared want to substitute me in their role? Much cheapness.....P.S. I'm actually serious about that.
    Data analyst / BA - did work security cleared stuff on MOD anti submarine helicopter simulator updates (c / Unix) for a bit.
    Last edited by Olly; 18 December 2009, 12:34.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    I'm sure you're right, but it's about time that the security cleared closed shop was blown wide open. (I am security cleared, so I have no axe to grind on this point).
    It is quite open IMO, especially during the good times when it is much easier to get cleared.

I never received an invitation this time, maybe Hays took note of my wish to be removed from their mailing list when they sent the last mailshot to me.

I don`t think they are offering to clear folks without SC, just renew/maintain for existing. The focus on clearace is obviously making a few bob for agencies who are able to provide such staff during these hard times, but the focus will change once the Tories get in and start saving the pennies. DUring these hard times everyone wants SC!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    If they are it is not only a breach of the guidelines but it's in flat contravention of the rules for clearance, which state that the clearance goes with the role, not the person. No role, no clearance.

Or they are saying we will put you forward for roles if you pay us first, whic is illegal undetr the Agency Regs.

I doubt they're that stupid, but just in case they are, someone needs to pass this on to the CAbinet Office at [email protected] ; I'm sure they'll take an interest.
    I'm sure you're right, but it's about time that the security cleared closed shop was blown wide open. (I am security cleared, so I have no axe to grind on this point).

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    If they are it is not only a breach of the guidelines but it's in flat contravention of the rules for clearance, which state that the clearance goes with the role, not the person. No role, no clearance.

Or they are saying we will put you forward for roles if you pay us first, whic is illegal undetr the Agency Regs.

I doubt they're that stupid, but just in case they are, someone needs to pass this on to the CAbinet Office at [email protected] ; I'm sure they'll take an interest.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Does this mean Hays are offering non security cleared folk the opportunity to get clearance before landing a security cleared job?

If so, it is a darned good scheme and long overdue. If it isn't, then I'm not sure what they're really offering to the contractor for the money?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    They're still at it, just received this:

Hello and welcome to this new concept in Hays Recruiting Services:-

Over the past months we have all seen Security play an ever increasing part in the delivery of Government and Public Sector (G&PS) services and the protection of data becoming top of the agenda. Only on Saturday the MoD released a statement into the Public Domain that a Laptop had gone missing from MoD main building! This and similar incidents have led to Government and Public Sector increasing the security governance environment as part of their overall ‘Duty of Care’ in the protection of information and data within Government custodianship. Individual jobs positions within G&PS are more often than not subject to the holding and maintaining of an individual’s security clearance at various levels.

Hays plc are committed to follow the Government lead in this increased governance environment and are taking their responsibility and participation in this initiative very seriously with ‘Board down’ process to enable a more secure environment.

To that end we are introducing a new Hays Security Club, ‘Security First’ on a subscription basis. Participation in this club will provide a series of benefits to the Members, and also allow Hays plc to understand and manage which resources are cleared to the appropriate level for matching to Government and Public Sector positions with a high degree of certainty. The club membership is in full compliance with the Government Security Framework Policy (SFP) from Basis Check Governance standards to the highest degree of Government clearance

Members will enjoy a series of benefits including but not limited to:

Ø A bi-monthly online news letter; containing articles on current security issues, risks and policies across the industry, both Domestic and International. This news letter will have a guest editor each month chosen from one of the Hays relevant Departments Heads e.g. Defence, Public Sector, and Security etc. It will also contain upcoming trends in the industry and a focus on ‘live and upcoming’ project opportunity that Hays are following, allowing early/first sight of upcoming positions, both permanent and contract based.

Ø Specific Regional Events; where Members can meet potential clients and senior Hays staff to discuss trends and opportunities which are on the horizon and mix with industry colleagues. It is intended that each session will addressed by a client partner or a senior Hays management spokesman.

Ø Full security verification and holding services for the individual members

Ø Opportunity to match individuals against jobs which require specific security clearance and the ability for the member to apply for this clearance, in conjunction with the end client, usually at no cost to the Member.

Ø Participation in a club purchase schemes allowing discounts against equipment, software etc. (details to be announced shortly)

Ø Advice on the setting up of individual companies, tax and personal finance related issues through Independent advisors.

Ø Online ‘blog portal’ for communicating security issues

Membership to the Club is £57.50 as a ‘one off’ entry fee and thereafter £50 per annum membership fee, which includes all the above.

There are two level of Membership as follows:

Ø Associate Member : Clearance below SC

Ø Full Member: SC clearance or above.

You have been selected in one of the first batches of Resources to be invited into the ‘Security First’ Club because of certain attributes within your profile which closely match opportunities we have at the present time.

To take up the membership offer or ask question please either send an email to [email protected] or phone 0845 4590252

The Security First Membership Team.

Remember:- keep it safe

Leave a comment:

• Joner39
    replied
    Not a con, but there is something not right.......

Guys,

I phoned Hays for clarification and they didnt know.......They could not even clarify for me, exactly what they mean.

The question I asked was:

"Are you refusing to consider me for SC Roles unless I pay for the clarification even though I have phone numbers and details of my clearance?"

Answer:
    "I'm not sure really, the person you need to speak to can be contacted by the email address in the notification we sent you" At which point I advised that I was calling the number listed in the same email for questions regarding the email!!

All it takes is a phone call however, there are some costs involved and Hays are now (IMO), carging contractors for this.

I had a similar thing with BT. I had to pay £20 for some check to be done (Similar to CRB but NOT CRB) or I could not start, but at least i had signed contracts and definately had the role. I think more agencies will start doing this. Hays do not get the money so they must have been paying this out of thier cut and are now looking to charge the contractor for it. Bet they wont be charging people looking for perm roles......

Bottom line is, IT Recruitment persons are nothing but pimps. Most dont even know the IT Industry.........and pimps work by thier own rules....(Apparently ;-)

Makes m think Hays have a ot of SC Contracts coming up and are looking to lock it down somewhat.........

Conspiracy theorists unite!!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• sparkymark
    replied
    The worry here is that Hays may be creating a revenue stream where contractors need to pay a form of annual subscription. If you where to wait until you've seen a post before trying to get cleared, would that be to late? Wouldn't you then be better off getting cleared in advance to ensure you get a chance to apply, for only a minor charge.

I you then see a post advertised later in that year you've paid to be cleared for, you can then pay your £50+ to apply & if successful, you'll know that for a whole year after your contract ends, applications will only cost £50+ a pop, without having to pay another years annual subscription.

500 people apply at £50+ a pop, maybe 10 go for interview & 1 gets value for money?

This may prevent contractors adopting the sales style of swamping the market by applying for every job that looks even close to their skillset, with the mindset that if you apply for 100 your bound to get a couple of interviews.

I always thought that the fee the agency charged the customer was to cover the applicant handling costs, obviously now they need to recoup a bit of price fixing fine money & so create a cash feed from both ends

Will it work? I'm going to buy a few Hays shares on the off chance

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Would be interested to hear what Malvio thinks .
    THis is rumbling along on another forum, where I originally posted:

However, since clearance is in practice a pre-requisite for certain roles, and they are charging you money to cover their own administrative responsibility, I would suggest they are in fact charging you money for finding you work. Which, I respectfully suggest, is totally illegal.

Also, if you want to chack your status, phone DVA and ask them for free. That's all Hays will do.
    Seriously unimpressed, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X