• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Rates

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rates"

Collapse

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    If you can point to evidence that the market has picked up then ask for a rate rise - now.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperZ View Post

So are you willing to take the risk in walking?
    Not without a fallback position... I'm working on that!!

It's a odd situation as I'm on a large government site that I really like but the private client is utter crap to work for, I guess I'm only hanging on because I can see the possibility of a better opportunity coming up with a different client as projects start to gather pace. I had a much better role on the same site previously BTW.

Leave a comment:

• SuperZ
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Take your investors cap off and stick the contractor one on, this isn't ruthlessinvestorUK FFS.

I've got a modest house, a modest car, a wife and a kid to feed. My rate is comparable to a permy without any of the perks and I'm slipping further into debt, **** the market.
    You say **** the market, but are you willing to walk? . THat can make a difference between whether you get a raise or not.

Companies often do it, times changes (rates can change month to month). Back in Jan 2005 I never really pushed the rate much as I was in my second contract after starting my first one in June 2003. The company needed more contractors four months after I started so I kept an eye on the rates advertised by the agencies and they were between 50 and 100 a day more than I was on. So at renewel time and via the agency I told them what I had learned, what I thought I was worth minimum and they can either choose to stump up or I leave. However, I didn`t get greedy though, I still ONLY asked for the minimum which to me meant a £50 a day raise. And yes they stumped up the cash.

Right now I`ve taken over a 20% pay cut and I`m sure the others are on a bit more but I choose not to ask for a raise yet especially as many have been leaving the project

So are you willing to take the risk in walking?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    It will happen and on that happy day we will all celebrate with you.

I really hope you find something better soon.
    Ditto. How effing frustrating, if it's true. Chin up, and good on you for taking a poop role just to keep something coming in for your family.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    They think they're being clever as they know there's little work about, one day it will bite them on the arse when no-one renews.
    It will happen and on that happy day we will all celebrate with you.

I really hope you find something better soon.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Fact is, the OP shouldn't worry himself because I know myself if I'm talking to agencies/clients I always exaggerate my rate. And if I'm talking to other contractors I would undercut my rate depending on circumstances if it suited my agenda. Certainly, my agreement is nobody else's concern and I have no issues telling porkies to suit my own ends. I fully expect everyone else to do the same.

In fact, I have recently been awarded a new gig where I told porkers about rates to get what I wanted. What's it matter? Both parties are happy now. Clientco think they beat me down by ~11%, but from an artificially high "current rate". And I got what I wanted.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Flopsy View Post
    I can see your point and have been treated in a similar way in the past. Keep any eye out for actual invoices as sometimes people pay power games and lie about their rate.

When does your contract end?
    New year’s eve, they've been next to useless in the last 2 renewals leaving it up to every individual to chase on the last day rather than securing our services in advance.

They think they're being clever as they know there's little work about, one day it will bite them on the arse when no-one renews.

The permies are all seasoned contractor haters so they like to watch us squirm, petty little bastards they are.

Leave a comment:

• Flopsy
    replied
    I can see your point and have been treated in a similar way in the past. Keep any eye out for actual invoices as sometimes people pay power games and lie about their rate.

When does your contract end?

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I can't see why people complain when they've signed a contract. No one forced you. If you don't like it resign. Sometimes this facilitates a change to your befefit in the rate dept anway...

J
    Like I said I don't normally care as long as I'm happy with my rate but I haven't been from day one, but needs must in hard times.

I signed a contract, 6 weeks later they drop the rate 'take it or leave it', 2 months later they take 2 more contractors on for more money as the market has improved slightly leaving the 4 existing contractors on the poor rate.

Yes I understand your argument but you must see my point??

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
    I can't see why people complain when they've signed a contract. No one forced you. If you don't like it resign. Sometimes this facilitates a change to your befefit in the rate dept anway...

J
    benefit

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied

J

Leave a comment:

• Amiga500
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Your not serious are you?
    You're

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    A 'good' contractor will fight every rate cut by fair means or foul -- if that means going to the bosses boss and bad mouthing your mates to mark yourself as a special case, then so be it.

A 'good' contractor fights for a rate increase -- however small -- at every renewal. They will act like a poker player and tell as many lies as they have to.

A 'good' contractor bigs themselves up and jumps on every opportunity for more responsibility simply to have a justification for a rate increase at renewal time.

Are you a 'good' contractor, or are you just a decent chap?

HTH
    Your not serious are you?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I feel for you, I'm one of those people who I took a numpty £100 a day role to keep the money coming in until something better turns up... 6 months later.

Throughout my working life every job I've had seems to have a skewed work to reward ratio, I've never had to work so hard for so little.
    Sorry to hear that GG - it is a Universal Truth that the harder you work the less money you wilil gain.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    A 'good' contractor will fight every rate cut by fair means or foul -- if that means going to the bosses boss and bad mouthing your mates to mark yourself as a special case, then so be it.

A 'good' contractor fights for a rate increase -- however small -- at every renewal. They will act like a poker player and tell as many lies as they have to.

A 'good' contractor bigs themselves up and jumps on every opportunity for more responsibility simply to have a justification for a rate increase at renewal time.

Are you a 'good' contractor, or are you just a decent chap?

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X