• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "another Singapore thread"

Collapse

• sanchez1234
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Blatant spamming alert!!

First post - check
    Thread necromancing - check
    Username has 1234 - check
    Has link in post - check
    How? It's a relevant link to a relevant thread. And I'd create something with just my name, if it was actually available. I didn't think there was anything wrong with a 1234. And yes, it's my first post. A warm welcome - And yes, I did not realise it was a dead thread.
    Last edited by sanchez1234; 9 March 2018, 02:15.

Leave a comment:

• Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Blatant spamming alert!!

First post - check
    Has link in post - check
    Link removed by admin and added back in by OP - check

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by sanchez1234 View Post
    personally im not sure about jobs but for housing i use https:/ /metroresidences.com/sg/
    Blatant spamming alert!!

First post - check
    Has link in post - check

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You know this thread is from 9 years ago?
    I do now. Incredibly it was not I who revived an old thread this time.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    If you are really experienced in technical telco management within a specific niche, and I mean really, there is a quite lot of stuff. Bonus if you have managed ZTE or Huawei. I had a pretty senior role at a large consultancy, most PM contracts & technical contracts were as bad as $200-$250. Lots's of Chinese as well as Indians coming from the big vendors.

I was on $1.2k + acommodation + per diem roughly a decade ago. I believe rates have dropped by 40% from those days.
    You know this thread is from 9 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Presumably though it's all finance jobs as in Zurich.
    If you are really experienced in technical telco management within a specific niche, and I mean really, there is a quite lot of stuff. Bonus if you have managed ZTE or Huawei. I had a pretty senior role at a large consultancy, most PM contracts & technical contracts were as bad as $200-$250. Lots's of Chinese as well as Indians coming from the big vendors.

I was on $1.2k + acommodation + per diem roughly a decade ago. I believe rates have dropped by 40% from those days.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 8 March 2018, 08:45.

Leave a comment:

• sanchez1234
    replied
    personally im not sure about jobs but for housing i use https:/ /metroresidences.com/sg/
    Last edited by cojak; 8 March 2018, 08:19. Reason: removed link

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Originally posted by Cameron Wallace View Post
    I have an ex-colleague working there and he's on 600 Euro a day and is getting paid through a Contractor Management Company just for simplicities sake. He found it too hard to try and set one up himself and he needed work permit sponsorship. To get the role he went direct to Deloitte's. Although I think he had a contact on the project.
    Presumably though it's all finance jobs as in Zurich.

Leave a comment:

• Cameron Wallace
    replied
    I have an ex-colleague working there and he's on 600 Euro a day and is getting paid through a Contractor Management Company just for simplicities sake. He found it too hard to try and set one up himself and he needed work permit sponsorship. To get the role he went direct to Deloitte's. Although I think he had a contact on the project.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    And were you on an hourly rate, daily rate, or .... ? And were you set up as a Pte Ltd, on an "Entrepass", company sponsorship or... ? What is really the best setup for a 3-6 month contract, minimal bondage (I'm not into that) ?

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Interesting... I'm not really after a perm position. Wonder if anyone has been over there on a 3-6 months gig, how it was structured, if the pay was comparable to here... ?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by darrenb View Post
    Thanks mr snaw. On jobsDB.com, I am seeing senior roles advertised at S$3500-4500 (£1500-£2000) a month. So the question I have is: are they open to real contract rates? How does that work?
    My understanding is that contract there isn't the same as here, there's more status being permy whereas a contractor is considered more like a temp (Feel free to correct me if anyone knows better).

Permy rates I have a decent link on what you should be expecting, below. SOme of those rates I've seen but jobs I'm going for are payign comarable to UK permy rates.

http://www.robertwalters.com/resourc...urvey_2009.pdf

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Thanks mr snaw. On jobsDB.com, I am seeing senior roles advertised at S$3500-4500 (£1500-£2000) a month. So the question I have is: are they open to real contract rates? How does that work?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Not actually there yet (Been twice, loved it), but so far I'm finding leads through a mixture of agencies (Robert Walters, Hudson and Talent2 are main players I believe). Contact agents direct, they seem to be more about introducing you to clients as opposed to just advertising jobs, like here.

Linked in has been great so far (Three interviews now lined up through it), and use your contacts, if you have any - got a couple of leads that way.

It probably helps that my wife is transferring and I've got a definite arrival date, so people take me seriously.

Office politics etc who knows, who cares. I think you've a great chance technically, from what I hear they value westerners more in technology (More able to act independently etc). Could be wrong in that, but I'm not finding it an issue so far.

Tax in Singapore is low compared to here I believe. And the asian girls will love you ($5).

And jobsdb is good, as well as the link through the singapore expats thing - jobsdirect or something like that.

Leave a comment:

• darrenb
    replied
    Wouldn't surprise me if they have a primitive attitude to their own workers, but wonder how they treat guests, Westerners that have been brought in specially.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X