• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: CV update advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV update advice"

Collapse

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Why advertise an agency?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Am updating/reviewing my CV and I've a couple of questions:

My last contract was as follows:
    Clippy Ltd ---> Agency ---> IT Service Provider ---> End Client
    Ta.
    Clippy Ltd -Not relevant as that is you
    Agency- Not relevant - Agencies don't accept references from other agencies so would add no value to your CV.
    IT Service Provider - If a reference from them would improve your chances and you would work for them again
    End Client - If a reference from them would improve your chances and you would work for them again
    IT Service Provider + End Client if both would look good on your CV.
    IT Service Provider or End Client only if one of them you would rather not mention

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I normally name my clients (unless there is an NDA or an Official Secrets Act that stops me) - in which case, I would name whichever one is more impressive
    Totally agree. You might be in the service of some minor subcontractor but work in a bank for them so in this case I would use which ever suits the next role. I have banking experience/culture from the last role so if the next one needs the same stick the bank down. If I need to go for a role working for outsourcer to major client and the outsourcing skills are more important I would use the name of the company providing the services to the bank.

At the end of the day neither are untrue and both give you different experiences/skills to be highlighted depending on the next role.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Depends on the industry. I do a lot of work for EPC companies and if you have Foster Wheeler or AMEC (for example) on your CV it does help get another gig with them or with a competitor company in the same business. The client could be a large oil company (for example) and you'd perhaps mention it in the text of the role but with Foster Wheeler or AMEC as where you did the gig. That's how I do it anyhow.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I always use the end client.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    Yep, whichever one is more impressive, and if they are both impressive then I put work for Client A through impressive service provider B
    WHS

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    which case, I would name whichever one is more impressive
    Yep, whichever one is more impressive, and if they are both impressive then I put work for Client A through impressive service provider B

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I'm guessing the first thing the agent would ask would be "who was your last role with", and anything barring an NDA to stop you telling them, will either make you sound like an arse, or they'll think you are lying in some way

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I normally name my clients (unless there is an NDA or an Official Secrets Act that stops me) - in which case, I would name whichever one is more impressive

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    Very similar to my current contract and others I have done. For this I have just put Government Department. In fact I never put company down put just what area they are in. I never tell agents who I am currently working for nor do I tell them who I have worked for.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    started a topic CV update advice

CV update advice

Am updating/reviewing my CV and I've a couple of questions:

1) Who should I enter on my CV for this gig?
    The IT Service Provider who resourced me for the client or the actual End Client?

2) If I enter the end client on my CV, should I put who they were or a generic description e.g if it was Ford (it wasn't), should I put Ford or large automotive manufacturer to prevent the agents from fishing.

Ta.

Working...
X