• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Capita IT

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Capita IT"

Collapse

• Mustang
    replied
    I wish I had read this earlier. I went to a wedding in Surrey back in August and I was making small talk with the guy sitting next to me at the reception. A little while into the conversation the subject turned to work. He asked me what I did so I told him and then I returned the question.

"I am on the Board of Capita" came the reply!!

I nearly spat my dessert out!!

Shame really - he seemed a nice guy! If I had read this earlier I could have asked him a few more interesting questions......!!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by WindyAnna View Post
    I'm working thru' Capita (which is frankly the kiss of death for them as older readers will know).
    Time to sell any shares in Capita - they'll be bust within the week, then

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Wow Denny would have loved this thread !!

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    At the end of the day, if they are the only one giving you work, it doesnt matter a fig imo. Better to have work and money coming in rather than stick rigidly to ones principles.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Hiya Windy!

You've been quiet lately, been busy?

Leave a comment:

• WindyAnna
    replied
    Capita

I'm working thru' Capita (which is frankly the kiss of death for them as older readers will know).

I wasn't introduced to the client by them but via another agency but have to work thru' Capita. Capita sent me the opt in/out form, I told them it was totally irrelevant since they had not introduced me to the client, they insisted I opt out ... I said I can sign it but it makes no difference since you were not the introducing agency. They then told me I would be IR35 caught - I asked on what basis - they said "by asking to opt in" - I said I wasn't asking to opt in - I was telling them I was not going to complete the form!! So they said they would have to payroll me as I was refusing to opt out!! I then call introducing agent and explain to him - he sends me a load of crap info about why opting out is a good idea including references to IR35 - again I tell him it's irrelevant for Capita since they are only paying me my rate plus paying him margin - they are the AP service for client in this scenario!! Capita pushed and pushed, I refused and said I was happy to not join and perhaps they would like to go and explain that to the hiring manager? In response they sent me a contract which I signed and started working, no mention of the opt statement since. Introducing agent then sent me opt out form from his company, I ignored.

I also explained to both that I consider myself inside IR35 from a working practices perspective since starting the contract and legal advice indicates I am right. Both told me that I am not inside IR35 as the contract is IR35 "friendly". I pointed out it isn't just the contract that counts and here are all the reasons why and the agent tells me "we can sort all that" - but it's part of my furkin role - rid me of those bits you are walking me out the door and I actually like it, I'm on a good rate and I don't mind being inside sometimes!

Meanwhile Capita pay on time, weekly, self-billed, all good.

Windy x

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    I've worked for them and they were one of the best agencies I've contracted for. Sorry that's Capita Resourcing Ltd.
    Last edited by Mr Crosby; 7 October 2009, 09:24.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    The problem I've found is that the people you speak to in the agencies are on the lower end of their spectrum typically, especially if it is a large company such as crapita. They don't understand what they are doing. The information they give you is what someone might have told them on their induction day, and that was probably wrong as well. The phone monkeys seem to be minimum wage 'sales' people straight from being fired from selling double glazing to old ladies, they simply aren't up to the job. I avoid agencies typified by crapita for this reason, it's incompetence at every step, and with something as damaging as ir35 to consider it's just not worth working with them.
    Too true. A "senior resourcing" monkey called her and cried ignorance too. Makes me hopping mad.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    The problem I've found is that the people you speak to in the agencies are on the lower end of their spectrum typically, especially if it is a large company such as crapita. They don't understand what they are doing. The information they give you is what someone might have told them on their induction day, and that was probably wrong as well. The phone monkeys seem to be minimum wage 'sales' people straight from being fired from selling double glazing to old ladies, they simply aren't up to the job. I avoid agencies typified by crapita for this reason, it's incompetence at every step, and with something as damaging as ir35 to consider it's just not worth working with them.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes View Post
    Nobody you will get to speak to at crapita has got a f'ing clue about any aspect of contracting whatsoever. Do not work with them.
    My bigger whinge really is that ALL AGENCIES (I have worked with) are hellbent on making sure we opt out, including telling the same porkies:

- The client won't like it! (Why would they give a fluff? In FACT, wouldn't they prefer the lack of a more serious handcuff clause?)

- You will fall within IR35! (Not unless you amend my contract surely)

- It will make you 'more of an employee'! (What does that even MEAN?!)

My biggest frustration however is how many contractors I have worked with, who have no idea what on earth the Regulations are. In fact, I would say most don't even know what they are opting out of. They make agencies' life so much easier.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Nobody you will get to speak to at crapita has got a f'ing clue about any aspect of contracting whatsoever. Do not work with them.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    MP - just sent you a PM...

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Just read this on the Matchtech website:

If you are a Limited Company Contractor, the Regulations allow for you to "opt-out". Whilst the Regulations have been conceived to ensure greater legislative protection for candidates, there may be issues which conflict with the spirit of the IR35 rules. The ability for you to opt-out, gives you the choice to remain contracting in the same way as prior to the Regulations. Opting out of the Regulations will have benefits if you decide that you want to be considered self employed. This will mean you will not be afforded the same protection as that of our PAYE workers but does bring you a step closer to being seen as genuinely self employed and therefore could be viewed as outside the scope of the IR35 tax rules. It will also give you greater flexibility in negotiating your contract terms.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    My suggestion FWIW would be for her to contact DBERR and tell them a major agency and governemnt supplier is blatantly breaking the law by coercing workers into opting out of the regulations. I'm sure they would be very interested...
    I told her the same thing, hope she does!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    My suggestion FWIW would be for her to contact DBERR and tell them a major agency and governemnt supplier is blatantly breaking the law by coercing workers into opting out of the regulations. I'm sure they would be very interested...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X