• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good things to do when starting new contract"

Collapse

• kanulondon
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Sixteen years ago, I received the best possible advice from a contractor of nearly 30 years:

- managers come and go - they ramp up staff when they are building their power and they cut your contract at a heartbeat when their management slashes the budget

- make close friends with your fellow contractors - they are in the same boat as you and will look out for you

This advice has been priceless as I've will met my fellow contractors on other gigs, in other cities and other countries. Showing them respect and watching their backs meant they've watched mine and set me up for future work. Without them I'd me nowhere even to this day.

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied
    Sixteen years ago, I received the best possible advice from a contractor of nearly 30 years:

- managers come and go - they ramp up staff when they are building their power and they cut your contract at a heartbeat when their management slashes the budget

- make close friends with your fellow contractors - they are in the same boat as you and will look out for you

This advice has been priceless as I've met my fellow contractors on other gigs, in other cities and other countries. Showing them respect and watching their backs meant they've watched mine and set me up for future work. Without them I'd me nowhere even to this day.
    Last edited by herman_g; 6 September 2009, 20:38.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    WHS.

If nothing else, I tend to do a brief "work summary" email for the week and post it to any manager I happen to be reporting to. It's there just in case any arguing ever starts about who was supposed to be doing what. In general, though, I've not had any real problems over the years. Still, make sure you always have something in email form if you work for one of those PMs who never produce (or update) a Project Plan.

Nomadd
    WHS

This has been my tactic, a weekly email and maybe an attached spreadsheet. It will be appreciated by most line managers and has proved very handy in times of conflict. Just saying things like 'I clearly pointed this problem out in my weekly report' is usually enough to nip any attempt at the blame game in the bud.
    Last edited by rootsnall; 6 September 2009, 09:23.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by groovybeetlecar View Post
    Having had my fingers (read: hand... arm... soul...) burnt in my last job (permie) for not having documented evidence of what I was doing compared to what I was asked to do (read: was well and truly shafted by manager) I'm keen to avoid that mistake again. But I don't want to come across as a bureaucratic jerk with a guilty conscience.

I'm planning on weekly reports, whether they are asked for or not, highlighting what I've done, what I'm planning on doing next week, and any concerns.

Do you produce any kind of terms of reference when you start a role?

My role is in the project support arena.
    At ClientCo, been shifted through a number of different teams, so had four different managers. Each one has their own style and it's surprising as to the degree of difference. 1st manager wanted daily updates, 2nd manager was very hands on with technical questions, 3rd one would ask progress every few days and 4th would ask for updates only occassionaly and allow me to get on with it.

I don't have a particular preference. It's simply a case of understanding their expectations and reacting according. The 1st manager liked to be constantly bothered so he's up to speed, but the 4th manager prefers not, except in important matters. The money still gets paid which is the important thing.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    They are all different. Check out the culture, remember you are managing them, don't show up anyone up etc, but I'd have to say on balance - What Menelaus said

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    In some contracts I've worked in, I've spent the afternoon of every Friday documenting:

1. What I'd done that week - including deliverables
    2. What I'm doing the next week - including expected deliverables

Gives clientco the illusion of control.
    Its good to be organised, most people do it last thing on Monday morning when they are trying to finish what they said they would finish the previous week

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Compromise

File a weekly summary on a suitable sharepoint site, make sure he has access & mention its location. Its not a weekly report its your notes on key issues / achievements for your own reference. You leave it there so he as access if you are indisposed (on Holiday / bout of the flu etc).

Nice balance between toadying and cya.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    If a manager is a complete swine and decides to shaft one of his/her manage, then they’ll do it, whether you have reports or not, obviously clarifying everything in writing is good, but really if a manager wants to do the dirty work, they normally know and find a way to do it!

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    In some contracts I've worked in, I've spent the afternoon of every Friday documenting:

1. What I'd done that week - including deliverables
    2. What I'm doing the next week - including expected deliverables

Gives clientco the illusion of control.

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    Definitely worth writing said report for your own filing anyway.

You've nothing to lose by asking new boss whether they'd like the report. They may prefer weekly 'chats' (just remember to document as necessary)

I normally keep a log of what I've been up to, just in case sh*t happens. Also if you have direct reports it’s useful as well.

KL

Leave a comment:

• groovybeetlecar
    replied
    Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
    As others have suggested I'd suggest that you play it by ear, I worked at a place where one guy just got annoying by always wanting to document and confirm everything in writing rather than just getting on with the job.

you need to also remember that as a contractor if the same thing happens again and your permie manager wants to cover his ass when things go wrong, you'll have a lot fewer options than if you were a permie.

At the end of the day they can decide not to renew and there is little you can do except be happy that you are not working for a t** any more.
    Believe me, there weren't many options as a permie either -and ultimately I couldn't work for him so left anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'll play it by ear

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Originally posted by groovybeetlecar View Post
    Having had my fingers (read: hand... arm... soul...) burnt in my last job (permie) for not having documented evidence of what I was doing compared to what I was asked to do (read: was well and truly shafted by manager) I'm keen to avoid that mistake again. But I don't want to come across as a bureaucratic jerk with a guilty conscience.

I'm planning on weekly reports, whether they are asked for or not, highlighting what I've done, what I'm planning on doing next week, and any concerns.

Do you produce any kind of terms of reference when you start a role?

My role is in the project support arena.
    Each job's different. Best to try to establish what your colleagues do and do the same. If you're Prince2 when the others are Agile, whilst in the last job it was the other way around, you'll get shafted in both jobs.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    WHS - you don't want to come across too an@l - just play it be ear...a friendly update e-mail now and again might look better, achieve the same thing, and give your manager the feeling you're trying to be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• MonzaMike
    replied
    As others have suggested I'd suggest that you play it by ear, I worked at a place where one guy just got annoying by always wanting to document and confirm everything in writing rather than just getting on with the job.

you need to also remember that as a contractor if the same thing happens again and your permie manager wants to cover his ass when things go wrong, you'll have a lot fewer options than if you were a permie.

At the end of the day they can decide not to renew and there is little you can do except be happy that you are not working for a t** any more.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    As a developer, if I don't get given a detailed spec at the start, I make sure I write one after I've finished the code, and get it signed off shortly before implementation. That way, they know what they've got, and I know I can't be sued for not giving them what they want. Everybody wins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X