• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good things to do when starting new contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good things to do when starting new contract

Having had my fingers (read: hand... arm... soul...) burnt in my last job (permie) for not having documented evidence of what I was doing compared to what I was asked to do (read: was well and truly shafted by manager) I'm keen to avoid that mistake again. But I don't want to come across as a bureaucratic jerk with a guilty conscience.

I'm planning on weekly reports, whether they are asked for or not, highlighting what I've done, what I'm planning on doing next week, and any concerns.

Do you produce any kind of terms of reference when you start a role?

My role is in the project support arena.

Depends on the presonality type of the Manager. I've worked for people who want an 18-point update every week (then cancel the weekly meet with no notice) to the "how's it going? Fine!" type who don't wanna know - unless it's going wrong or he's had dodgy feedback.

If you work for the latter, he's going to get irritated that you want to interrupt him every week!

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
      Depends on the presonality type of the Manager. I've worked for people who want an 18-point update every week (then cancel the weekly meet with no notice) to the "how's it going? Fine!" type who don't wanna know - unless it's going wrong or he's had dodgy feedback.

If you work for the latter, he's going to get irritated that you want to interrupt him every week!
      WHS.

If nothing else, I tend to do a brief "work summary" email for the week and post it to any manager I happen to be reporting to. It's there just in case any arguing ever starts about who was supposed to be doing what. In general, though, I've not had any real problems over the years. Still, make sure you always have something in email form if you work for one of those PMs who never produce (or update) a Project Plan.

Nomadd
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

As a developer, if I don't get given a detailed spec at the start, I make sure I write one after I've finished the code, and get it signed off shortly before implementation. That way, they know what they've got, and I know I can't be sued for not giving them what they want. Everybody wins.

Comment

As others have suggested I'd suggest that you play it by ear, I worked at a place where one guy just got annoying by always wanting to document and confirm everything in writing rather than just getting on with the job.

you need to also remember that as a contractor if the same thing happens again and your permie manager wants to cover his ass when things go wrong, you'll have a lot fewer options than if you were a permie.

At the end of the day they can decide not to renew and there is little you can do except be happy that you are not working for a t** any more.

Comment

WHS - you don't want to come across too an@l - just play it be ear...a friendly update e-mail now and again might look better, achieve the same thing, and give your manager the feeling you're trying to be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by groovybeetlecar View Post
              Having had my fingers (read: hand... arm... soul...) burnt in my last job (permie) for not having documented evidence of what I was doing compared to what I was asked to do (read: was well and truly shafted by manager) I'm keen to avoid that mistake again. But I don't want to come across as a bureaucratic jerk with a guilty conscience.

I'm planning on weekly reports, whether they are asked for or not, highlighting what I've done, what I'm planning on doing next week, and any concerns.

Do you produce any kind of terms of reference when you start a role?

My role is in the project support arena.
              Each job's different. Best to try to establish what your colleagues do and do the same. If you're Prince2 when the others are Agile, whilst in the last job it was the other way around, you'll get shafted in both jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
                As others have suggested I'd suggest that you play it by ear, I worked at a place where one guy just got annoying by always wanting to document and confirm everything in writing rather than just getting on with the job.

you need to also remember that as a contractor if the same thing happens again and your permie manager wants to cover his ass when things go wrong, you'll have a lot fewer options than if you were a permie.

At the end of the day they can decide not to renew and there is little you can do except be happy that you are not working for a t** any more.
                Believe me, there weren't many options as a permie either -and ultimately I couldn't work for him so left anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'll play it by ear

Comment

Definitely worth writing said report for your own filing anyway.

You've nothing to lose by asking new boss whether they'd like the report. They may prefer weekly 'chats' (just remember to document as necessary)

I normally keep a log of what I've been up to, just in case sh*t happens. Also if you have direct reports it’s useful as well.

KL
                  "His fame rested on solid personal achievements...."

Comment

In some contracts I've worked in, I've spent the afternoon of every Friday documenting:

1. What I'd done that week - including deliverables
                    2. What I'm doing the next week - including expected deliverables

Gives clientco the illusion of control.

Comment

Working...
                    X