• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why did you get into contracting"

Collapse

• R6steve
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Just the place for a white XR3i.
    600w speaker system, a little too much for listening to BBC Radio 4, it make it sound like Evan Davis was shouting, who I was shocked to see is 47, I thought he was much younger, odd looking fellow, great presenter though.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by R6steve View Post
    Or the best named car auto parts site in the world 'Carnoisseur'.

As a marketing genius myself I can see what a great name this really is.
    Just the place for a white XR3i.

Leave a comment:

• R6steve
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    LOL! R6

In "The beer in Wolfsburg is too fizzy" mode
    Or the best named car auto parts site in the world 'Carnoisseur'.

As a marketing genius myself I can see what a great name this really is.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Close but no cigar.

Maybe ....
    Auto news - journo?

Motor manufacturer?
    Ford
    GM
    VW

Or maybe even a mild-mannered police station janitor
    LOL! R6

In "The beer in Wolfsburg is too fizzy" mode

Leave a comment:

• R6steve
    replied
    Close but no cigar.

Maybe ....
    Auto news - journo?

Motor manufacturer?
    Ford
    GM
    VW

Or maybe even a mild-mannered police station janitor

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Not always, and when we do, it is often due mainly to costs being borne by the contractor rather than the client: the contractor then puts a lot of effort into minimising these costs, and profits from that. For example, if you employ me and send me away on business, I will want a decent hotel. If it's my money, I want a cheap hotel!
    Plus the outrageous cost of fairly average quality meals in a hotel. Even as a permie I would seek out good quality pub grub instead.

Another one - company cars, when the tax system meant that you were a either a fool or had other overriding considerations to turn down the offer of a company car. I always thought it absurd to have a company car worth half or more of my mortgage, especially if you ended up with something you wouldn't have bought yourself. Gimme a pay rise instead so I can put it into a better house or pay the mortgage off early, please.

By the way I don't think there is much to be gained by discussing the exact term for our activity, and I note that most of us are called contractors now, but we were all called freelancers when I started over 30 years ago. I suspect that the term has fallen from use because it carries the implication that the person is responsible for his own work, and perhaps clients and agents do not like that idea.
    Sounds about right to me.
    Last edited by Sysman; 19 August 2009, 13:07.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Back in permie days a two week holiday was acceptable, but in at least two places you had to ask for a special dispensation if you wanted three weeks in a row. It was made clear that this would only be granted if you were going somewhere like Australia where the travel time would be significant.
    Contracting:
    Q. Can you take time off for as long as you want, to travel?
    A. Wait till the end of your contract, then you don't have to ask anybody.

Employment:
    Q. Can you take time off for as long as you want, to travel?
    A. Give notice, wait till the end of your notice period, then you don't have to ask anybody.

Leave a comment:

• williamdavis
    replied
    Back in permie days a two week holiday was acceptable, but in at least two places you had to ask for a special dispensation if you wanted three weeks in a row. It was made clear that this would only be granted if you were going somewhere like Australia where the travel time would be significant.
    This totally and utterly F's me off, why should a company have the right to approve or deny a holiday request based on where I'm going? What the **** has it to do with them!

This is bringing back horrible memories of having to make up spurious stories about grand parents, sick children and the such to take time off without giving 6 months notice.

Where I go or what I do has bugger all to do with the company I work for or the manager I report to. At no point should this come into play with the decision if I can or cannot take time off. Phew got that off my chest

I've been in this contract for quite a while now and nobody gives a hoot where I go on holiday providing the work gets done and yet I'd doing a very similar job as I did as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Apart from potentially giving some idiot a giggle at our expense, I can't see how Dickie..
    I'm fairly new in my job (marketing consultant, automotive industry NOT a recruiter, I'm also a permie and not a contractor) and I've been asked to write a guide about the roles of contractors throughout the business and how contractors will more than likely play a larger part on the company (end of the permanent job for life type thing).
    The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders ?

SMMT is the leading trade association for the motor industry in the UK. Its mission is "to encourage and promote in the UK and abroad the interests of the motor industry."

Leave a comment:

• elwray
    replied
    Contracting:
    1. Some clents will take you back after you have refused an extension because you want to travel or whatever.
    2. Some won't.
    3. Few clients will let you take months off, and it is IME never built in.

Who said that I would want to work for the same client after my travels ?
    As for 3. I am talking about doing a 6 month contract for example and when the contract ends and then travel not taking some time off during a contract. Once I have finished travelling and I just move on and find another contract not necessarily with the same client .

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by elwray View Post
    What I meant was despite employees receiving 5 weeks holiday per year most of the time (in my experience) most people take up to two weeks in one go for a holiday .
    As a contractor if I did a 6 month gig if I decided to not to take an extension I could travel for a few months before starting another contract . And I have the freedom to do this often as a contractor . Now as an employee would I be allowed to travel for a few months every 6 months work or so ? Not all employers would be that flexible ....

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I'm sure this is going to bite us on the bum.
    Apart from potentially giving some idiot a giggle at our expense, I can't see how Dickie..

Leave a comment:

• williamdavis
    replied
    Where is it that only gives employees two weeks' holiday?

Anyway, you can fit three-month trips into some careers, teaching for example, which might have been one of my alternatives. And you could always leave and come back to a job: some of them will pretty much guarantee to take you back. For example I was told once by a sergeant in the Met that he had backpacked in Asia a couple of times, you could always come and get your old job back.

I have used contracting for time off and travel, but looking back over my life, I don't now see that I couldn't have done it as a permie.
    Must be state side.

In a few permie roles, I've had flexi-time and also been allocated 30 days holiday. However, when requesting two weeks off it was nearly always refused due to mission critical times and was only allowed 5 days at best. I nearly always lost these days at the end of the year and didn't get paid for them.

Flexi-time is just as stupid, I was racking up huge time credits due to long days and never seemed to get time to take the extra time off, in one six month period I manged to rack up 200 hours credit and hadn't taken any time off at all, all of this meant I could have taken off about three months - fat chance of that happening.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Where is it that only gives employees two weeks' holiday?
    I believe it is the norm in the USA where they consider our European holidays a communist plot to brig down capitalism, or some such.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by elwray View Post
    What I meant was despite employees receiving 5 weeks holiday per year most of the time (in my experience) most people take up to two weeks in one go for a holiday .
    As a contractor if I did a 6 month gig if I decided to not to take an extension I could travel for a few months before starting another contract . And I have the freedom to do this often as a contractor . Now as an employee would I be allowed to travel for a few months every 6 months work or so ? Not all employers would be that flexible ....
    Let me play Devil's Advocate.

Employment:
    1. Some employers will take you back after you have left to travel or whatever.
    2. Some won't.
    3. Some employers and in particular some jobs will let you take months off. In teaching and especially academia it is built in.

Contracting:
    1. Some clents will take you back after you have refused an extension because you want to travel or whatever.
    2. Some won't.
    3. Few clients will let you take months off, and it is IME never built in.

Looks like evens except that Contracting loses No. 3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X