• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Investment Banking: Quit Perm -> Contract?"

Collapse

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by mace View Post
    £60-65k is a midrange salary for an IB but a mid-to-senior range salary for everybody else. The problem with going contracting and then wanting to go back to being a permie is that employers have different perceptions of the 2 groups i.e. that contractors are technically astute whereas permies are better at teamworking. A contractor who goes back to being a permie may well be viewed as somebody whose no longer at the top of his game and won't fit in and/or is only going back for the short term to re-skill.
    Obviously for some positions, employers are desperate enough to overlook this and that will let you back in to re-skill but you'll be more limited in your choice of employers than you previously were.
    WHS And after you have been contracting for a number of years and have reached a certain age threshold it is harder again to get considered for permanent roles if you want to go back to the security or permiedom.

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. From my point of view if you are young and on a mediocre salary then I d say the risk of contracting is not as high as people might have you believe.

I m starting out for the first time and left a 65K perm salary with all the extras to do a contract.

If it all blows up I am pretty confident I could get a similar job to the one I left at 60-65K.

In my opinion it is worth the risk.

Now if I was on a 100k perm, doing something very niche, had a wife and kids that would be a different story
    £60-65k is a midrange salary for an IB but a mid-to-senior range salary for everybody else. The problem with going contracting and then wanting to go back to being a permie is that employers have different perceptions of the 2 groups i.e. that contractors are technically astute whereas permies are better at teamworking. A contractor who goes back to being a permie may well be viewed as somebody whose no longer at the top of his game and won't fit in and/or is only going back for the short term to re-skill.
    Obviously for some positions, employers are desperate enough to overlook this and that will let you back in to re-skill but you'll be more limited in your choice of employers than you previously were.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post
    Your implication being that 65K perm is in the "mediocre" range?

Hmmmm....maybe I need to look at this Investment Banking lark in more detail.
    Dont do it. There is a reason so much money is involved.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Don't quit until you have an offer. Now lets say your notice period did become a problem, at least you know that you can get a contract, and just angle another one. Generally though 1 months notice is not a problem. I'm a contractor, and I always look for contracts before my current contract has ended. Sometimes you find they'll take several weeks maybe more before they deicide on someone, 2 weeks here or there won't make a difference. Don't resign though until your very confident you are going to walk into something.

Leave a comment:

• Bright Spark
    replied
    contracting is more a lifestyle choice where you plan to work for a while
    and then take long breaks, also your aim is to build up a network of clients
    so then you can either get other contacts or sub contractors to do the work.

anybody benchmarking contractor rates with permie salary is comparing
    apples with oranges.

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by contractTopermie View Post
    Spot on SteveMcadden1. I am on 40k salary(banking) and in really bad situation with absolute no savings. Also have to train/teach incompetent guys (on top of heavy workload) who get paid more than me for some reason.

I am desperately trying to get back to contracting again.Could you please tell me how did you manage notice period requirements (4 weeks ) ?Recruiters always prefer someone who is available immediately.
    This should be possible.
    All you do is have 2 weeks holiday saved up. Then you only have to work 2 weeks right? Well at almost all places and this should include any Bank, you can take unpaid leave of 1 week or at least be able to buy back a week.

This leaves 1 weeks notice. Most clients will stretch to 1 week. And thus as you can see, you can walk out of your permi job in 1 week. This is why some nasty banks brought in the 3 month notice periods.

Until they worked out they would have to pay 3 months when they wanted to get rid of someone

Leave a comment:

• contractTopermie
    replied
    Spot on SteveMcadden1. I am on 40k salary(banking) and in really bad situation with absolute no savings. Also have to train/teach incompetent guys (on top of heavy workload) who get paid more than me for some reason.

I am desperately trying to get back to contracting again.Could you please tell me how did you manage notice period requirements (4 weeks ) ?Recruiters always prefer someone who is available immediately.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMcadden1
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieNambulous View Post

Take out tax and student loans and you get 3300 at the end of the month which is 40K a year.

By contracting on 400 a day and not taking out any salary I can take home 70K...

And I also realise that 400 per day is not great but its a foot in the door and next year I ll push for 450

Leave a comment:

• EddieNambulous
    replied
    Originally posted by SteveMcadden1 View Post
    I dont agree with this at all. From my point of view if you are young and on a mediocre salary then I d say the risk of contracting is not as high as people might have you believe.

I m starting out for the first time and left a 65K perm salary

Last edited by EddieNambulous; 16 August 2009, 09:09.

Leave a comment:

• SteveMcadden1
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Hang on in there until you are thrown out; don't jump.

I m starting out for the first time and left a 65K perm salary with all the extras to do a contract.

If it all blows up I am pretty confident I could get a similar job to the one I left at 60-65K.

In my opinion it is worth the risk.

Now if I was on a 100k perm, doing something very niche, had a wife and kids that would be a different story

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Hang on in there until you are thrown out; don't jump.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Anyone thinking of leaving a good permi job to go contracting in the current state of the market needs their head examined
    Agree to a point and only to a point - it is especially hard to get the 1st contract, obviously given the current market, but also due to the switching of mindsets from perm to contract, perception to potential clients, notice periods etc etc (check other posts on this site).

Why I say to a point - if you have stand out CV with USPs (see my post yesterday) that really stand out, there is no reason why to not give contracting a go - but DO bear in mind you could be looking for 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months etc (who knows), so make sure that the money tree in your backgarden is in full bloom...

It depends on how big a risk you want to take compared to your needs or desires to move to the other side. Do however, follow what your gut instinct tells you to do. Best of luck.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Anyone thinking of leaving a good permi job to go contracting in the current state of the market needs their head examined
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Do you have a contract offer on the table at the moment?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X