• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Use by age for Test Managers"

Collapse

• uky kozak
    replied
    Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
    It certainly is a consideration in permiedom.
    Yes I stand corrected if this thread was about permiedom. I just went by the post starting with
    What’s the oldest age a contracting Test Manager could be to keep getting gigs?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Dunno but I always dropped a decade or two off the back of my CV and left out the year of graduation as getting interviews was more difficult than passing them.

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    Originally posted by uky kozak View Post
    IMO age now has 0 impact on positions. In fact I would stretch myself to say that time serve'd in the industry has more influence than age.
    It certainly is a consideration in permiedom.

Leave a comment:

• uky kozak
    replied
    IMO age now has 0 impact on positions. In fact I would stretch myself to say that time serve'd in the industry has more influence than age.

Leave a comment:

• grey_lady
    replied
    I think it also depends on the area you work in, it seems to me that its more common in old-school embedded type engineering companies to have older staff both contract and perm. In new media companies e.g digital agencies or companies based around one website the staff seem to me to be much younger generally - Just what I've noticed as I've worked in both.

I gather its quite important when recruiting permies that the person you hire is a 'good fit' with the company / team, now that probably wouldnt apply at all contractors, which fits in with what the others have said.

I've not reached 50 btw.

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
    Id say yes without a doubt if anyone asked me.

PZZ
    I agree

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's an interesting observation, obvious with hindsight but not something I'd considered. Does this mean those approaching retirement age are actually more 'employable' as contractors?
    Id say yes without a doubt if anyone asked me.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by HeadOfTesting View Post
    I've only recently turned 33 so this isn't uppermost in my thoughts but I would have thought that age discrimination is much less of an issue than it is in permiedom.
    That's an interesting observation, obvious with hindsight but not something I'd considered. Does this mean those approaching retirement age are actually more 'employable' as contractors?

Leave a comment:

• pzz76077
    replied
    Your paid what you are worth and worth what you know. Not sure age comes into it.
    Im 49 and have never had my age come into question with any of my clients. In fact most of 'em continually employ me because I know more with 25 years experience than the average graduate straight out of college.

PZZ

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    I'm 48 and it's not been a problem so far (I have a youthful outlook )

Leave a comment:

• HeadOfTesting
    replied
    I've only recently turned 33 so this isn't uppermost in my thoughts but I would have thought that age discrimination is much less of an issue than it is in permiedom.

In my first role in 1998 my boss was a contract test manager and I would have said he was in his late fifties or early 60s.

That said, I would encourge every contractor to develop one or more plan b's.

Leave a comment:

• Belle
    started a topic Use by age for Test Managers

Use by age for Test Managers

What’s the oldest age a contracting Test Manager could be to keep getting gigs? Anybody out there who is over 50 contracting as a Test Manager? Not there yet by a long shot, but am thinking I should be thinking about Plan B. Would be interested to hear from others feeling like they may be close to their use by age
    Last edited by Belle; 26 June 2009, 14:52.

Working...
X