• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Market picking up or Agents updating their database?"

Collapse

• GardenGirl
    replied
    Been benched for 5 weeks and then yesterday 4 phone calls about 4 different roles. 2 Interviews so far. This seems like a good sign to me but lets see if it continues......

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    I got approached via linked in this week for an interview by a trade mag. So it has it's uses.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Good luck, my experience of LinkedIn virtually since it started, has been very poor.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Just been approached for a job through LinkedIn. I'm currently under contract so not active in the market and havn't been for over a year.

I have a feeling this is a serious approach and not phishing, but may be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Definately picking up here - I have roles on - and alot of people to choose from.

There's a lot less commitment from clients though - less certainty about budgets - clients looking for cheapest possible rates (ie touting silly money) and general faffing around.

I would say the market is slightly flaky - ultimately it will pick up again, but I think the clientco's are just finding their feet, and keen not to shoot themselves in the foot by offering high rates, too early.

Good signs though....
    TAV
    Are you referring to the UK market only.
    Received my first phone call in weeks for a requirement in French market.
    Any feedback on the rest of Europe.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
    Definately picking up here - I have roles on - and alot of people to choose from.

There's a lot less commitment from clients though - less certainty about budgets - clients looking for cheapest possible rates (ie touting silly money) and general faffing around.

I would say the market is slightly flaky - ultimately it will pick up again, but I think the clientco's are just finding their feet, and keen not to shoot themselves in the foot by offering high rates, too early.

Good signs though....
    TAV
    I you referring to the UK market only.
    Received my first phone call in weeks for a requirement in French market.
    Any feedback on the rest of Europe.

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied

Good signs though....
    TAV

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    If you have not already done so, I will need you to supply me with a copy of your passport, showing your nationality and authorisation to work in the UK to satisfy legislative requirements."

Errr, well duh ok...yes I think I should trust you complete stranger.
    Is this some kind of identity theft attempt????
    If following their legal obligations agencies are actually meant to do this as part of the whole agency regulations that they are constantly trying to get us to opt out of, aka verify you are who you say you are, can legally work in the country and verify that all you say on your CV is actually true (references). And all this is meant to be done before they submit your cv to the client

But as we all know reality is a lot different, so this is either a scam or some newbie agent who has actually read the regs and is trying to follow them, if latter Muppet will not last a month as he will spend so much time chasing and processing contractor details he will never actually find clients

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    You should without delay forward a scanned copy of your birth certificate, passport, driving licence, two recent utility bills, bank account and sort code number..you are too cynical and have no faith in humankind methinks

Is this not just to scare off the applicants that have no right to work in the UK? I'm betting they get tons of applications from abroad, given that a uk jobsite can be accessed from anywhere in the world.

Leave a comment:

• TheRefactornator
    replied
    You should without delay forward a scanned copy of your birth certificate, passport, driving licence, two recent utility bills, bank account and sort code number..you are too cynical and have no faith in humankind methinks

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Had this one today from an agent I have never contacted or heard of....

"Thank you for sending me an update of your CV.

Your skills and experience are relevant to vacancies that we currently have available so I will be in contact shortly to discuss your requirements in more detail.

If you have sent your CV to us in connection with a specific vacancy we advertised I will discuss this position with you also.

If you have not already done so, I will need you to supply me with a copy of your passport, showing your nationality and authorisation to work in the UK to satisfy legislative requirements."

Errr, well duh ok...yes I think I should trust you complete stranger.
    Is this some kind of identity theft attempt????

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Getting a lot of phishing emails from agents. Straight onto the delete button as fortunately, Im currently in work.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Just checked...seems to be lots of Java jobs also in London. Doesn't look too bad at all. I'm not Java, but interested to hear opinions of Java programmers.

Leave a comment:

• DocP
    replied
    Don't be fooled. Market sucks.

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Optimism anyone

Leave a comment:

Working...
X