• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Networking: a dying art?"

Collapse

• denver2k
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
    agreed. the problem that most people seem to have is selfishness. They think about networking in terms of "what can I get out of this". This is absolutely the wrong attitude to start from. You need to be in the habit of thinking "how can I help the next person I meet to get/find/learn something useful for them". If you do this, then what you build is a network of people who want to return the favour.

Once you have a network of people who want to return the favour, then you are networking. Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse
    Agreed

Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse
    Cant agree more

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Tensai View Post
    I
    The problem with "networking" is that it has such associations with forced conversations and trying to get something out of your contact.
    agreed. the problem that most people seem to have is selfishness. They think about networking in terms of "what can I get out of this". This is absolutely the wrong attitude to start from. You need to be in the habit of thinking "how can I help the next person I meet to get/find/learn something useful for them". If you do this, then what you build is a network of people who want to return the favour.

Once you have a network of people who want to return the favour, then you are networking. Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mailric View Post
    It's a dark art not a dying art...

I know contractors who live off their networking skills and have done 12 month contracts without actually delivering anything. They still leave looking good to the Exec. Genius
    I resemble that remark.

Leave a comment:

• Brussels Slumdog
    replied
    50% Networking+ 50% Jobboards

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    It's a must do imo. Recession times mean contacts and not agents are more important than ever.
    The problem is that there are several network sites. I don't have the time to maintain several so I just use Linkedin.
    Agents that I have spoken to tend to use Jobserve as this reaches a wider
    audience.
    The advantage of a network site is that I could quickly inform you about a gig which I have been told about but I am either not qualified for or don't want and visa versa.
    I use the network site also as a form of an address book. ie phone number
    when last spoken to etc.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    I went to a free seminar given by a PM training company this morning. Started off with breakfast! Sure - there was a sales pitch - nothing in life is free - but it was a good session.

Not many attendees - only one other freelancer there. 50+% of the permies worked in public sector and not one person hung around to chat or network after the event (or before for that matter).

I guess networking is only for contractors!!
    Where was that? I would have gone if I'd known - I guess my investigative skills are not so good.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Not many attendees - only one other freelancer there. 50+% of the permies worked in public sector and not one person hung around to chat or network after the event (or before for that matter).

It's an absolute must for permies as well, if they're at all bothered about climbing the ladder.

The problem with "networking" is that it has such associations with forced conversations and trying to get something out of your contact.

A network should consist of people who (a) you get on with on a personal level, (b) are skilful/knowledgeable in their own area, and most importantly (c) can both gain and give from the relationship.

What tends to happen is a network grows through normal interactions between people. Trying to expressly create a network is as challenging as trying to create a network of friends from scratch. It should happen fairly naturally, and will do so as long as you're not afraid to be the one to strike up a conversation. Having small talk skills helps a lot.

Nothing insightful above, but worth repeating.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by mailric View Post
    It's a dark art not a dying art......
    That's exactly the response I wanted to hear!! I was trying to provoke response! Some people dabble. Some people ignore it.

There is one guy I know on these boards and he seems to have it off to a fine art! He has certainly encouraged me to promote networking as more than "dabbling"!! You know who you are - thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mailric
    replied
    It's a dark art not a dying art...

I know contractors who live off their networking skills and have done 12 month contracts without actually delivering anything. They still leave looking good to the Exec. Genius

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    I went to a free seminar given by a PM training company this morning. Started off with breakfast! Sure - there was a sales pitch - nothing in life is free - but it was a good session.

Leave a comment:

• the_duderama
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
    Mustang, my man. You have got tooooo much time on your hands.

I love networking. Cisco, Nortel, you name it, I'm there
    I network on a massive scale everyday at work, it's mostly cisco and 3com though. Haww.

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    How many people on here actually network? Is it a dying art? Discuss.
    Mustang, my man. You have got tooooo much time on your hands.

I love networking. Cisco, Nortel, you name it, I'm there

Leave a comment:

• fckvwls
    replied
    How many people on here actually network? Is it a dying art? Discuss.
    It's a must do imo. Recession times mean contacts and not agents are more important than ever.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I would join the C-UK LinkedIn group; if you can keep it out of the directory then people don't have to declare their user ids when joining.

Personally I would then hope to 'connect' with people I know in the group. I could just put my LinkedIn home page in my signature.... but open invitations make me cringe.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    I put together a simple 3 machine network last week.

Oh....

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    I'm not bothered, and have "linked In" to one chap from here recently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X