• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Networking: a dying art?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50% Networking+ 50% Jobboards

Originally posted by fckvwls View Post
    It's a must do imo. Recession times mean contacts and not agents are more important than ever.
    The problem is that there are several network sites. I don't have the time to maintain several so I just use Linkedin.
    Agents that I have spoken to tend to use Jobserve as this reaches a wider
    audience.
    The advantage of a network site is that I could quickly inform you about a gig which I have been told about but I am either not qualified for or don't want and visa versa.
    I use the network site also as a form of an address book. ie phone number
    when last spoken to etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mailric View Post
      It's a dark art not a dying art...

I know contractors who live off their networking skills and have done 12 month contracts without actually delivering anything. They still leave looking good to the Exec. Genius
      I resemble that remark.
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
        I
        The problem with "networking" is that it has such associations with forced conversations and trying to get something out of your contact.
        agreed. the problem that most people seem to have is selfishness. They think about networking in terms of "what can I get out of this". This is absolutely the wrong attitude to start from. You need to be in the habit of thinking "how can I help the next person I meet to get/find/learn something useful for them". If you do this, then what you build is a network of people who want to return the favour.

Once you have a network of people who want to return the favour, then you are networking. Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey View Post
          agreed. the problem that most people seem to have is selfishness. They think about networking in terms of "what can I get out of this". This is absolutely the wrong attitude to start from. You need to be in the habit of thinking "how can I help the next person I meet to get/find/learn something useful for them". If you do this, then what you build is a network of people who want to return the favour.

Once you have a network of people who want to return the favour, then you are networking. Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse
          Agreed

Up to that point, you're just acting like a pain in the arse
          Cant agree more

Comment

Working...
          X