• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: No work....No pay

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No work....No pay"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I've questioned things like that right from the start. My position has always been that nobody can predict IR35. It's completely pot luck.

This upsets people like NLUK because it takes away their right to pontificate. Loads of others eg contract review companies, are also unlikely to disabuse potential clients. The insides of tube carriages are plastered with adverts for vitamin pills. They never say "These add nothing to your health as you are almost certainly getting all you need".

I always ask "What makes you think that?". However I never get an answer.

Ever
    Not sure why you brought me in to it

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    why did it take you 8 years to question it?
    I've questioned things like that right from the start. My position has always been that nobody can predict IR35. It's completely pot luck.

This upsets people like NLUK because it takes away their right to pontificate. Loads of others eg contract review companies, are also unlikely to disabuse potential clients. The insides of tube carriages are plastered with adverts for vitamin pills. They never say "These add nothing to your health as you are almost certainly getting all you need".

I always ask "What makes you think that?". However I never get an answer.

Ever

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    Join Date Oct 2015

Maybe when Cirrus joined (s)he neglected to read every thread that had ever been posted on CUK prior to joining?

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    I question that. One of the early IR35 cases was around someone with lots of concurrent clients. Anybody else remember the details?

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    you have concurrent contracts, which immediately put you outside IR35.
    I question that. One of the early IR35 cases was around someone with lots of concurrent clients. Anybody else remember the details?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    OP = Opening Post. Anal is ok - better to be safe than sorry

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by Beefy198 View Post
    Give that woman a medal.
    Or a new ring.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Lisa - you should know better than to admit that on CUK!!
    Oh dear - didn't think that one through really did I

Leave a comment:

• Beefy198
    replied
    Anal is ok - better to be safe than sorry
    Give that woman a medal.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    The recent contracts I've had that I bothered reading were written in a way that if there is no work to do then the agent/client don't have to pay you. Sounds fair enough to me and if you are on no notice, or 1 week in my case then it is irrelevant anyway. I guess the problem is if you want to go elsewhere and your notice period for you to walk is a lot longer. I always state to the client I'm OK with no work no pay anyway as it has helped in the past with getting renewals. If the work dries up you start looking around and go elsewhere when something turns up.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    Regardless of IR35, them not paying you hardly maximizing your earnings is it?

In the current market, telling them "if they can't offer continuous work you will walk", isn't likely to either

tim

Leave a comment:

• PM-Junkie
    replied
    hehehehehe - "anal is ok"

Could turn out to be the quote of the year

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Anal is ok - better to be safe than sorry
    Lisa - you should know better than to admit that on CUK!!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by oafc0000 View Post
    Sorry OP ?

I am just being anal... I am like that

Could the tax man not take a view point considering they are all contractors that in fact we arent a real company with real employees.

Every time I read on IR35 it scares the tulip out of me. So I just try to be anal about it.

Anyway, I got the advice I wanted.

Thanks guys...

OP = Opening Post. Anal is ok - better to be safe than sorry

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    In that case I don't really understand the OP. If you are operating as a business and have other people on your books as employees there should be no question of your IR35 status regardless of whether or not you receive payment via a retainer when you are not working.
    Sorry OP ?

I am just being anal... I am like that

Could the tax man not take a view point considering they are all contractors that in fact we arent a real company with real employees.

Every time I read on IR35 it scares the tulip out of me. So I just try to be anal about it.

Anyway, I got the advice I wanted.

Thanks guys...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X