• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client won't let me go"

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    A few weeks ago my boss asked me if I would mind going on holiday for a week while they looked for more work for me. As a favour I agreed. ...
    he's told me he is waiting to hear back on some work they want me to do, and they wont know until next week. I did mention to him that the work might not come about and was I expected just to sit at home unpaid all that time and he "understands my concern".
    This is your call, but I not that if you neither walk nor give notice, you are waiting around unpaid for as long as it takes for him to find work for you. I bet he likes that! Non-mutual obligation: you are obliged to wait on his pleasure, he is not obliged to pay you. Can I have a plumber like that please? One who takes no other work, so he is always ready if I call, but doesn't charge me for that.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    The notice period is a bit of a nonsense whatever happens.
    They wont pay you if you dont attend. Nothing in the notice period (I assume) says you have to attend the 4 weeks.

It depends how much you want to upset them.

Give them the required notice then inform them you are taking 4 weeks leave. They have already refused a sub so it is not your fault if they are left without capability.

You have a business to run. You signed a contract to work for x days. They are failing to provide that work. You can not hang around forever waiting for them to find more work.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I put my last invoice in at the end of last month, along with my filled out timesheet (these don't get signed). Is it really likely that they will not pay me for a month's worth of work that I completed and they charged the end customer for?
    If they don't pay you, then you chase them up for it.

Use your right of substitution (post on this board) or an agency to find a replacement if there is any more work.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ... just had someone on the phone explaining that my contract may not even be valid on the basis that was only renewed verbally ...
    That's somewhat testicular, since you have been working so a contract does exist, and a verbal contract is as binding as a written one, even if harder to prove. No-one works without expecting some recompense. The terms of your previous contract are likely to still apply.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    Originally posted by beeker View Post
    A) ensure you have/are being paid for work already completed
    I put my last invoice in at the end of last month, along with my filled out timesheet (these don't get signed). Is it really likely that they will not pay me for a month's worth of work that I completed and they charged the end customer for?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Ask for a retainer or walk.

Mine's called "Roberts", a lovely old chap.

Threaded.

Leave a comment:

• beeker
    replied
    Originally posted by scooby View Post
    then walk. put you first...
    A) ensure you have/are being paid for work already completed
    B) tell current client that as you do not have a signed contract that the notice period does not apply and you have secured business elsewhere to keep the company afloat.
    C) the right of substitution is there so that you can provide what in your terms is a suitable replacement (from an agency if necessary), if they chose to decline then it's their choice and the contract can be terminated assuming the candidate was suitable, they have declined your services and there will be a clause to terminate surely?

just my unqualified tuppenceworth!

Leave a comment:

• scooby
    replied
    He's not paying me for holiday. He's requested I stay out of the office. I've just had someone on the phone explaining that my contract may not even be valid on the basis that was only renewed verbally and no end date has been specified beyond the initial 2 months. Not feeling too good on letting 3 months of work go on the basis my current client "might" have work for me to do next week.
    then walk. put you first...

Leave a comment:

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Even worse, he's willing to pay you.
    He's not getting paid.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    replied
    He's not paying me for holiday. He's requested I stay out of the office. I've just had someone on the phone explaining that my contract may not even be valid on the basis that was only renewed verbally and no end date has been specified beyond the initial 2 months. Not feeling too good on letting 3 months of work go on the basis my current client "might" have work for me to do next week.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Now you know why I say (a) too many people think like employees and (b) notice periods are a bad idea!

Your call, sadly, but I'd put your notice in; if the current client then comes up with something worthwhile you can always cancel it (in practice, you negotiate a new deal, it's not like you're an employee or anything...); that way you only annoy people you don't work with.

However, think carefully about this. If your client is scratching around to find work for you to do, clearly your contract is very marginal with respect to IR35 since you are not there to do a specific piece of work but to do whatever the client thinks you should be doing, Even worse, he's willing to pay you while he finds such work. Bad for both MOO and D&C, I'm afraid...

Leave a comment:

• basshead
    replied
    It depends if you can afford to wait for your current client to supply you some work, and if not, whether you can afford to p*ss off your client and jeopardise any future relationship.

Leave a comment:

• voodooflux
    replied
    You're not duty bound to take any more holiday are you? I'd say they either need to pay you or they've basically terminated your contract.

Leave a comment:

• Jaws
    started a topic Client won't let me go

Client won't let me go

A few weeks ago my boss asked me if I would mind going on holiday for a week while they looked for more work for me. As a favour I agreed. That week came, I went on "holiday" (at home as I was given only 1 day notice!) and I have not received any update from the client since that period. During that time I popped into the office to be asked by a colleague if I'd found anything else yet.

Anyway, after that I started looking for work and now have some offers which I'd like to accept. Unfortunately, after calling the client asking him to let me go (I have a 4 week notice period with them) he's told me he is waiting to hear back on some work they want me to do, and they wont know until next week. I did mention to him that the work might not come about and was I expected just to sit at home unpaid all that time and he "understands my concern". He said due to timescales I was not able to make use of my right of substitution (as all contractors need to be screened first).

Do I need to hand in my notice before I can search for more work now and lose these offers or could I just drop the client and what might the consequences be if I did?

Working...
X