• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Job hunting motivation"

Collapse

• bobhope
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Yeah I once spent a few weeks doing car boots to clear some of the junk out of the garage. Even though only getting about £50 for it all meant it was more for something to do than an earner!

Before everyone jumped on the band wagon I took a year off to renovate a property, which was a refreshing change. Wouldn't mind doing another one, but it's hard to find anything remotely value for money and not overly risky nowadays.
    Used to do that, but haven't seen anything of value for years now. I do suspect the time will come again once the credit crunch works its way through.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    By sucking it up and getting on with it. If you feel sorry for yourself then you won't get anywhere.

I have a good plan B, C and D. If I am out of work there is something that I can do to get money/me out the house. If you are starting to get concerned about not having a job get one. There is something out there that you can do.

HTH

Yeah I once spent a few weeks doing car boots to clear some of the junk out of the garage. Even though only getting about £50 for it all meant it was more for something to do than an earner!

Before everyone jumped on the band wagon I took a year off to renovate a property, which was a refreshing change. Wouldn't mind doing another one, but it's hard to find anything remotely value for money and not overly risky nowadays.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Hicks View Post
    I am currently looking for jobs but the market is fairly quite for my skills at the moment.

Have been looking for a few weeks now and am beginning to get concerned which is affecting my motivation.

I wondered how others who are or have been in a similar situation deal with this natural reaction.
    By sucking it up and getting on with it. If you feel sorry for yourself then you won't get anywhere.

I have a good plan B, C and D. If I am out of work there is something that I can do to get money/me out the house. If you are starting to get concerned about not having a job get one. There is something out there that you can do.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its like pulling, the harder you try the more difficult it gets.

Best offers I have had are where I don't need them, I went into the interview thinking 'I don't care'. If you have cash in the bank and have finished the decorating, its working or watching the rest of Spooks series 3.

Get an offer, then look around for something better.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    ... trying to land that illusive contract
    elusive.

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    They kept me sane on those occasions when I would otherwise have felt like the loneliest and unluckiest contractor in the world.
    buggrit. millenium hand and fish.

Leave a comment:

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Have been looking for a few weeks now and am beginning to get concerned which is affecting my motivation.
    Amateur!

I got up to 27 weeks last time I was on the bench. Which ended 16 days ago.

Next time I'm benched, I'm going to write a book on how to survive it. Meanwhile, I recommend you mosey on over to the Test Please Delete thread in Light Relief. You will find a lot of friendly people to drivel to in there. They kept me sane on those occasions when I would otherwise have felt like the loneliest and unluckiest contractor in the world.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Yeah it's suprising how motivating it can be when the bank account is running on empty.

I often spend the first few weeks trying to land that illusive contract close to home, to cut out all the working away from home pish, but after a while I just think sod it I'm bored now.

I figure it costs me around £200/week to work away from home (hotels/petrol etc), which is a good few quid on the hourly rate, so maybe working at the other end of the country for only £10/hour more isn't that bright of me.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    I am currently looking for jobs but the market is fairly quite for my skills at the moment.

I wondered how others who are or have been in a similar situation deal with this natural reaction.
    I found having less than 2 months outgoings in my savings account was always a fine motivation. You obviously don't need the work enough

oh and quiet

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    I am there also Hicks, not getting the response I would like !
    Planning to do a training course if a couple on the go currently dont go anywhere but a few weeks in, it does take a bit off your confidence etc.
    Not ready to hit the Wetherspoons at lunchtime yet though !

Leave a comment:

• Hicks
    started a topic Job hunting motivation

Job hunting motivation

Working...
X