• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UML Course Recommendation"

Collapse

• Maca
    replied
    Interesting thoughts and comments.

No matter what it is, the key to learning something is feedback. If you make a mistake then you want to find out ASAP. The problem with learning UML is that 'it's just a set of drawings'. So how do you know when you've got it wrong? At least when you try and teach yourself a new computer language you get to compile it and run it. You get feedback. You can still produce some unmaintainable code but at least you know you're learning. This is the first step to learning something that's useful in our industry. The next steps involve getting experience. You get that by doing, asking experienced people and reviewing what others are doing.

So why is UML growing in popularity? It appears to be a rather vague thing. Vague things aren't usually useful. Agile (extreme programming/test-driven development) promotes the idea that vague documentation is pointless and that the code is everything and the test must be specified before the code is written.

So what's the point in UML when ultimately our C++/Java etc is everything? UML diagrams are vague and, more often that not, do not match the reality of the code.

So that's it then, no real point in learning UML, we're stuck at the coding level for ever. For a while some people were reluctant to move from assembler to C and then the same thing again when moving up the abstraction tree to OO languages such as C++/Java. So why are we at the C++/Java level now? Easy answer, we trust the compilers sufficiently to largely trust and forget about the detail of the generated assembler.

What if a tool existed that could take our UML model and generate the C++/Java and therefore the compiled executable. We need to be able to trust the tool to do what we expect. We need the tool to be capable of allowing us to control the generated code such that we're not forced to hand-code. We need the tool to generate code that we'd be proud to say we'd written.

Now if we had a tool like that, then it would be worth learning UML to use it and by using it, the tool would in turn teach us through feedback.
    Last edited by Maca; 20 April 2008, 09:31. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Ta for that Jason, though the for those BA's out there the OOAD course is a bit OTT for those tackling UML from a Business Analysis perspective.

I'd suggest UML for the IT Business Analyst: A Practical Guide to Object-Oriented Requirements Gathering

PS - I've just downloaded the Jude Professional edition, an excellent recommendation, Sir!
    Last edited by cojak; 18 February 2008, 09:31.

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Remember the UML is a language

The UML is just a visual language.

A lot of courses just cover the syntax and semantics of that language. Unfortunatly being able to read and even draw a sequence diagram does not tell you "HOW" to actually use it.

I would actually recommend the Open University post grad course on OOAD. It introduces the UML incrementally via an introduction of a process of how to actually apply it to real world situations.

Failing that obtain the following books and spend a lot of time applying what you read

Writing Effective Use Cases
    UML Distilled
    Applying UML and patterns

The comment earlier on Agile is like comparing apples and bricks. Agile is a philosophy on how to deliver a project, and is mostly about people, communication and testing. There is no reason why you cannot use UML and Agile together

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    Forget UML, it's a waste of time. Read up on Agile instead
    Read up on both.

Draw UML diagrams consisting of boxes and interconnecting lines if using a white board. If writing documentation open UML Distilled and find a diagram to appropriate.

Don't bother buying more than one book there are websites if you google that explain each diagram in different ways i.e. http://www.agilemodeling.com/artifacts/

Leave a comment:

• Addanc
    replied
    I second the recommendation of "UML Distilled", Martin Fowler, ISBN 0-321-19368-7.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Forget UML, it's a waste of time. Read up on Agile instead

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
    I've not actually "done" any UML since Uni but loads of people I'ev worked with claim to "know" UML. Just draw lots of stick-man pictures and arrows pointing all over the place, that's usually enough to convince people.
    Nobody will actually tel you it's rubbish since they don't want you to call their bluff either.
    HTH
    Of course you are only referring to one type of UML diagram here, but I like the cut of your jib.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Thanks for the advice, I'll save my money and try out the books and good old fashioned practise.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by Dow Jones View Post
    ...put the theory into practice, so I agree with the previous posts. Unlike Prince2/etc, UML cert is far from std requirement, so don't waste your money on getting certification. Get a short book with lots of diagrams to help you.

Get yourself two things!

1) UML Distilled , Martin Fowler

2) Download and install yourself the JUDE Community edition, really good software to use and understand.

Really there is a third item

3) Start designing a homework problem with the Class Diagram then think about Sequence diagrams

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    All you need is...

...put the theory into practice, so I agree with the previous posts. Unlike Prince2/etc, UML cert is far from std requirement, so don't waste your money on getting certification. Get a short book with lots of diagrams to help you.

Leave a comment:

• Cheshire Cat
    replied
    I've not actually "done" any UML since Uni but loads of people I'ev worked with claim to "know" UML. Just draw lots of stick-man pictures and arrows pointing all over the place, that's usually enough to convince people.
    Nobody will actually tel you it's rubbish since they don't want you to call their bluff either.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Sorry that I can't recommend a course, but the best thing I've found for UML is practice. Alongside one of the "teach yourself" books (The O'Reilly one on UML 2.0 being a good one IMHO) apply the tools you are learning to situations and projects outisde the book itself. May seem like suck eggs advice, but it has worked for me in the past.

NN

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    started a topic UML Course Recommendation

UML Course Recommendation

I'm thinking of doing a course on UML after my current gig ends. Has anyone done one recently and can recommend which company to go with/avoid?

I've got hold of some UML software and aquired some books (the old Sams teach yourself in 24 hours malarkey) but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough.

Cheers

Working...
X