• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Office Chat

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office Chat"

Collapse

• moorfield
    replied
    Same. This IB like many has a hiring freeze at this time of year, so no new contractors arriving but the ones already in will be renewed to keep the menial stuff going for a while longer.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Some of the big multinationals here have announced redundancies, in order to reduce costs. So many companies have a headcount freeze. Contractors don't count towards headcount, so all of a sudden, there's loads of freelance work.

Leave a comment:

• youwhut
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Haha. Oops!

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    At this IB the budget has been reduced 10%. However it still appears to be busy though no one has been given a rate rise. Plus it's very cold in the office - I think that's where they're making their 10% savings.
    Didn't know you had to ask for a rate rise. What happened to 'Oh my new rate is XXX by the way?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    At this IB the budget has been reduced 10%. However it still appears to be busy though no one has been given a rate rise. Plus it's very cold in the office - I think that's where they're making their 10% savings.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by youwhut View Post
    sinnacle

Leave a comment:

• youwhut
    started a topic Office Chat

Office Chat

As a contractor, I realise I am being forever sinnacle/cynical regarding the contract and renewal. The money is great, and with the constant talk regarding 2008 slump it is not surprising.

My contract will be up for renewal in early April and come late March I will also be looking for other contracts. I would like to be renewed but I do hear chat around the office which makes me think. One big topic is, "budgets are being cut by 25%". I guess this is the current trend in the IB world?

My thought is that when budgets are cut, the contractors are the first to go.

Does anyone take note of anything else? i.e. The snack machine being stocked with Hula Hoops rather than Walker's Sensations?
    Last edited by youwhut; 29 January 2008, 11:52.

Working...
X