• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "No agency: any pitfalls?"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    10 years...
    Still a newbie to some people, no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    …and counting!
    See you back here in 10.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    10 years...
    …and counting!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    10 years...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Thanks for your advice everyone

Just to let you know how it turned out: the only problems with payments were due to the brolly messing up and sending generated invoices to the bitbucket rather than the client. Once that was sorted out, the client was a very fast and reliable payer.

Sadly, the gig only lasted six months as the client's US management put the kibosh on any contract extensions during one of their innumerable management reorganisations, which ultimately led to their downfall the other day: Yahoo shares jump after Verizon merger - BBC News

But the experience has stood me in good stead over the years, and it led to me joining CUK, so it's all good

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    You probably are going to have chase up invoices. Big companies only pay when they really need to. Agencies, on the whole, provide a buffer paying contractors on time whilst they chase up the invoices, and obviously for them doing this part of their daily routine.

The other thing to be aware of is that you are a supplier, an Agency sees you as a source of revenue. However if you go direct, you will be dealing with a purchasing manager who's job it is to push the costs down.
    Absolutely! Don't rely on payment terms being respected and do expect them to try and knock you down in price at any given opportunity.

Oh, always trying to get you to go permie. One of my two clients is always trying this. The incentive is a "promotion" that would formalise what I do now plus more paperwork i.e. more work for less money. Don't know how long I can resist

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    You probably are going to have chase up invoices. Big companies only pay when they really need to. Agencies, on the whole, provide a buffer paying contractors on time whilst they chase up the invoices, and obviously for them doing this part of their daily routine.

The other thing to be aware of is that you are a supplier, an Agency sees you as a source of revenue. However if you go direct, you will be dealing with a purchasing manager who's job it is to push the costs down.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 20 June 2007, 11:08.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    you're open to abuse by the company not paying invoices in a timely fashion. I've known contractors go 3-4 months without getting paid and then getting all outstanding invoices cleared in one go, effectively meaning that they're only paid 4 times a year!
    I'll be making sure that doesn't happen; I know a number of people on the team already, and know that they pay in a timely manner. Also, they understand the importance of keeping their developers happy, unlike a lot of companies.

Originally posted by chicane
    Is there such a thing as a "very large" new media company?
    They generally describe themselves as a media company to distinguish themselves from their main competitor, and everything they do is online so I would call them a new media company.

As for very large: well, I probably shouldn't say who it is, but their name ends with an exclamation mark and they employ thousands of people worldwide... so yes, I think "very large" is justified

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Is there such a thing as a "very large" new media company?

All the "new media companies" I deal directly with are 15-20 employees, and the person who pays the invoices is just a phone call away if you feel the need to abuse them for non-payment (which I often have to).

Despite all this, I recently had to wait 6 months for payment of an invoice from such a company, despite constant harrassment. Don't underestimate the convenience of working through an agency.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Have a word with Meerkat on that other thread. You both seem to have lots in common.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    you're open to abuse by the company not paying invoices in a timely fashion. I've known contractors go 3-4 months without getting paid and then getting all outstanding invoices cleared in one go, effectively meaning that they're only paid 4 times a year!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    started a topic No agency: any pitfalls?

No agency: any pitfalls?

I'm just about to start a new contract arranged directly with a (very) large new media company, with no agency involved. I'm working through an umbrella company. Are there any tips, tricks or traps I should be aware of in connection with the client contracting directly with the brolly?

TIA :-)

Working...
X