• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "about Web-Site presence"

Collapse

• Ardesco
    replied
    Yup, but my web presence doesn't have anything to do with my contracting.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead
    Option 2 for me which does bring in a reasonable amount of short-term business.
    Just how do you folks go about getting work through your websites - do you work hard to promote your web presence?

I've gained plenty of supplemental work through networking in person, but get very few (ie less than 5) visitors per day to my website...

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Option 2 for me which does bring in a reasonable amount of short-term business.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    I am still wary about exposing such a web-site/emails to the pimps. They can decide that I am trying to compete them ! Someone mentioned above that this won't be an issue, cos pimps won't pay too much attention.

Maybe an option is to have the consultancy web-site but use an yahoo mail with pimps.
    I always use a yahoo mail account on my CV but mainly 'cos it's my public email that has already been sold on (probably by agencies).

It's none of the agency's business how I promote MyCo. I have multiple income streams and I'd tell them to bugger off if they so much as hinted at it.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk
    I am still wary about exposing such a web-site/emails to the pimps. They can decide that I am trying to compete them !
    I find it hard to believe that any pimp would go to the effort of checking out contractors' websites when that time would be much better spent chasing their next commission cheque...

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Now we all agree that the web-site should present us as a "small consultancy".
    I am still wary about exposing such a web-site/emails to the pimps. They can decide that I am trying to compete them ! Someone mentioned above that this won't be an issue, cos pimps won't pay too much attention.

Maybe an option is to have the consultancy web-site but use an yahoo mail with pimps.

PS: Why do we call them pimps ? Isn't that make us the "bitches" ?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Option 2 - I have company information, support forum, customers list.

I've also got a jobs page, and people have applied for jobs with my company. Shame none were particularly good, but if the right person applied for a job, then I'm sure I could get some work for them to do.

Leave a comment:

• findlabout
    replied
    Be careful with the url you choose

You might just end up with hassle like I did. Still, it helps to prove I'm in business 'on my own account'. And I've managed to fend them off so far...

see here

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Another for Option 2. You may be a 1 man band but it shows you are thinking as director of a company with ambitions to grow, rather than as a temp employee. This cannot be bad for IR35.
    The fact that 99% of us can't/won't in reality employ anyone else is often due to how the whole game works with parasitic agencies, rather than the fault of contractors.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 3 March 2007, 19:49.

Leave a comment:

• mrdavies
    replied
    I started out with Option 2 too.. always wondered what others did..

Leave a comment:

• NewBoy
    replied
    Option 2 for me 2

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Option 2 it is !

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    option 2 for me.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    option 2 for me too.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Option 2..

In the process of doing mine but I am fully intending to go for option 2.

HTH
    Last edited by Mustang; 2 March 2007, 11:39.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X