• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Newbie - Does anyone have any experience of Paystream"

Collapse

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by youngguy
    Also, is there any difference to being inside IR35 and outside if you use an umbrella?
    Contracting via an umbrella will be worse (financially) then being caught by IR35, this is due to:

1. No 5% allowance can be claimed
    2. You cannot join the Flat Rate VAT scheme and so save 3.4% in year 1
    3. There fees tend to be higher than getting your own accountant to sort things.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• youngguy
    replied
    Umbrella after April

Looking at the Parasol website, they claim that they will continue as normal after april and state that legitimate business expenses will still be something 'their' contractos can claim for. Does everyone feel this is true?

Also, is there any difference to being inside IR35 and outside if you use an umbrella?

Leave a comment:

• dreadducks
    replied
    Guys,
    Thanks very much for all the advice, I appreciate it all... It is likely that I'll go with Paystream to start with, and move over to a Ltd company in 6 months or so when my contract ends and I (hopefully) get another one...

I will keep an eye on this thread in case any additional advice comes in. Keep up the good work...!

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    Originally posted by Will808
    Then again, I ain't worth listening to
    . . . and yet you make so much sense

Leave a comment:

• Will808
    replied
    Then again, I ain't worth listening to

Leave a comment:

• Will808
    replied
    Well, I've just left Paystream and gone with Darren@1stAccountancy (in the business sense, not the Biblical one).

If you really need to go down that route, then Paystream are definitely one of the better options, but you have plenty of time to set yourself up with a Ltd, and use one of the 3 accountants who are recommended here time after time.

I was basically forced / lied to / tricked into going with Paystream by the agency that found me my first contract, so that they could make a little bit more commission out of me. I don't blame Paystream for this, and they did a very good job for my company while I used them, but the more I realised how that agency had shafted me, the more I just wanted to get away from the whole thing.

To be fair to Paystream, they were very professional and very accomodating about my move (although a little slow at times), and I know that they are being very proactive about the legislation change for April 7th.

Basically, if you're really worried about doing things yourself, or just lazy, go with Paystream. If you're not, then set up your own Ltd. If you want any more info, feel free to PM me.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Im with umbrella until end of March then im with Nixon Williams with my Ltd company, I would have prefered to start with Ltd but couldnt get a business bank account or VAT set up in time.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Listen to NW - if I need to change accountants I'll go with them...

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Get your own company, join up to the Flat Rate VAT, keep the interest on your own money, claim expenses etc.

If you can manage to post some documents each month you can operate your own Ltd company.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    please do!!

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by jh0711
    use a brolly - ignore the advice from sockmuppet
    I'll remind you of that come April.

Leave a comment:

• jh0711
    replied
    use a brolly - ignore the advice from sockmuppet

paystream are ok but for total piece of mind try the PCG (QU) product

if after 12 months you still fancy contracting look at limited

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Darren or SJD are the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• dreadducks
    started a topic Newbie - Does anyone have any experience of Paystream

Newbie - Does anyone have any experience of Paystream

Good morning Contractors....

I am currently a Permie with IBM and am leaving Big Blue after a 9 year stint to go contracting for the first time... I am very excited.

Firstly can I congratulate you all on such a great site. Well administered and excellent in terms of content... I have been most impressed.

Now, to the question... As a newbie I have read through the Ltd vs Umbrella discussions etc etc and think I know which way I want to go.

I am talking with a company called Paystream, who (so far) have been excellent on the phone, very helpful and knowledgeable... (they want my business I hear you all cry...) Hence I wanted to test the water here and see if anyone had any experience with them and what that experience was, good or bad. I have a few days before I need to make a decision, and would greatly appreciate any help / support / advice from the experience contractor market (enough sucking up!!!???!!! )

Many thanks,
    Dan

Working...
X