• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CTC clearance - previous alcohol issues"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Louise9 View Post
    Wanted to come back and say I've just had my clearance through! I did declare the issues as stated in my original post and was sure I wouldn't get it but...I did so hope this gives others hope, just be honest, show you recognise what you did wrong, what you've done around that (if applicable / why it won;t happen again.) Thanks for the support all.
    Great news and possibly the only time anyone has ever fed back so we can help the next person. Thanks for that.

Leave a comment:

• Louise9
    replied
    Wanted to come back and say I've just had my clearance through! I did declare the issues as stated in my original post and was sure I wouldn't get it but...I did so hope this gives others hope, just be honest, show you recognise what you did wrong, what you've done around that (if applicable / why it won;t happen again.) Thanks for the support all.

Leave a comment:

• Louise9
    replied
    Thanks, esp. for the non judgmental comments, 'll let you know how I go...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

All possibly true, but the OP is talking about CTC here - the "We are fairly sure you are who you say you are" level of vetting...
    That is very true so might be a bit over the top... but we don't really know. Get it in and good luck

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It will be so they can do a deep dive in to your past looking for potential issues that may influence their decision. Despite the positive reviews they will be looking at the reasons you left, how many jobs you've had, where and so on. They aren't just looking for glowing references. They need to find out if you are safe in a sensitive role dealing with critical information.

Not sure the NDA covers hiding employment history and feedback for highly sensitive roles. This isn't just a basic reference check. If they are asked by a government department for a warts and all investigation they would be very stupid to gloss over anything. I'd imagine they'd just give the facts of the situation as they'd be breaking the law giving anything less, particular for a CTC check.

The process is obviously pretty veiled so it's impossible for us to say realistically but unfortunately its difficult not to think that addiction could make make someone susceptible to outside influence. That doesn't mean everyone is automatically excluded. People do recover, some are not serious enough to be a security risk and so on, we just don't know.

Again though, being dishonest or forgetting to mention something just because you know an employer will give you a glowing reference will most certainly exclude you when they find out later down the line. Dishonesty is possibly the worst thing when they are trying to find if you can be trusted for a sensitive role. Give it to them warts n all and let the process do it's job.
    All possibly true, but the OP is talking about CTC here - the "We are fairly sure you are who you say you are" level of vetting...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thank you.

I know I give supervisors for the past five years (not a problem, believe it or not despite the alcohol relapse (which was a couple of months), I know they'll be positive) but am asked for an employment history for ten years. Is the ten years confirmation of employment only (I did some freelancing in that period so its a bit choppy)?
    It will be so they can do a deep dive in to your past looking for potential issues that may influence their decision. Despite the positive reviews they will be looking at the reasons you left, how many jobs you've had, where and so on. They aren't just looking for glowing references. They need to find out if you are safe in a sensitive role dealing with critical information.
    I actually have a non disclosure agreement with my 2016 - 2019 employer which essentially has them give me a neutral / confirmation reference so am also not sure what they will hand over (though as I say, know my supervisors will be positive)
    Not sure the NDA covers hiding employment history and feedback for highly sensitive roles. This isn't just a basic reference check. If they are asked by a government department for a warts and all investigation they would be very stupid to gloss over anything. I'd imagine they'd just give the facts of the situation as they'd be breaking the law giving anything less, particular for a CTC check.
    Yes I am absolutely not counting on this (the opposite actually, steeling myself for the worst though it doesn't help that the role would be pretty much ideal for me, better pay etc so cannot help but be emotionally invested).

I was diagnosed with depression which (short version) is really the trigger for the sporadic problem drinking and is under control. My fear was this history in itself meant no (realistic) prospect of passing as no idea how they view a history of addiction.

Thank you again
    The process is obviously pretty veiled so it's impossible for us to say realistically but unfortunately its difficult not to think that addiction could make make someone susceptible to outside influence. That doesn't mean everyone is automatically excluded. People do recover, some are not serious enough to be a security risk and so on, we just don't know.

Again though, being dishonest or forgetting to mention something just because you know an employer will give you a glowing reference will most certainly exclude you when they find out later down the line. Dishonesty is possibly the worst thing when they are trying to find if you can be trusted for a sensitive role. Give it to them warts n all and let the process do it's job.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Good luck.

It's not possible to say whether the 10 years work history is for confirmation only or something else. They could delve into every job, or just those that trigger something of interest, or just ask for confirmation of each. It all depends on the role, the risk profile and other factors.

Leave a comment:

• Louise9
    replied
    Thank you.

I know I give supervisors for the past five years (not a problem, believe it or not despite the alcohol relapse (which was a couple of months), I know they'll be positive) but am asked for an employment history for ten years. Is the ten years confirmation of employment only (I did some freelancing in that period so its a bit choppy)?

I actually have a non disclosure agreement with my 2016 - 2019 employer which essentially has them give me a neutral / confirmation reference so am also not sure what they will hand over (though as I say, know my supervisors will be positive)

Yes I am absolutely not counting on this (the opposite actually, steeling myself for the worst though it doesn't help that the role would be pretty much ideal for me, better pay etc so cannot help but be emotionally invested).

I was diagnosed with depression which (short version) is really the trigger for the sporadic problem drinking and is under control. My fear was this history in itself meant no (realistic) prospect of passing as no idea how they view a history of addiction.

​​​​​​​Thank you again

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    However will this alcohol history automatically rule me out of CTC clearance?
    Not exactly but looking at the following checks, particularly the one bolded then they are absolutely going to find out so anything less than the truth will automatically rule you out.

What checks are involved
    • successful completion of the Baseline Personnel Security Standard
    • completion, by the individual, of a Security Questionnaire
    • a departmental/company records check which might include, for example personal files, staff reports, sick leave returns and security records
    • a check of both spent and unspent criminal records
    • a check of Security Service (MI5) records
    • if there are any unresolved security concerns about the individual or if recommended by the Security Service, the individual may also be interviewed.
    Mal is right in saying tell the truth and just ride it as there is nothing else you can do but you can keep applying for other roles in the meantime. Whether this is perm or contract you've got nothing until you are sitting at the clients desk so keep applying forother stuff until you've got the gig.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    We have no idea. It all depends on what criteria the client is applying to the results of the vetting. that said there are very few automatic exclusions.

But, as been said a hundred times, if you are honest about it it is unlikely to be a problem. They are, after all, checking on your reliability and openness to bribery or extortion in exchange for information. If the security people know all about (actually they probably already do...) it cannot be held against you by anyone else.

So standard answer applies. Fill in the forms accurately, hide nothing, stop panicking and see what happens. You can't affect the outcome so there's no point in stressing about it.

Leave a comment:

• Louise9
    started a topic CTC clearance - previous alcohol issues

CTC clearance - previous alcohol issues

Hi all,
    I'm about to go through CTC vetting and essentially I have had incidents with alcohol in the past (pretty much 2011-13, then two relapses, one in 2016, then clean till 2019 and now clean again...) I will declare them on the form (all resulted in me leaving jobs though only 1 firing (2011) and am clean now and confident I will stay that way and have been employed with the same employer since later 2019, no issues.

However will this alcohol history automatically rule me out of CTC clearance?

Any advice appreciated, I'm really nervous about this

Working...
X