• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract dilemma between 2 gigs"

Collapse

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You write on it and scan it back then.

I was only suggesting as a delay tactic to push it past the other offer.
    Yep I know, thanks. This agency has a process I havent come across before (although its probably common) - they gave me a draft/generic copy of the contract and said the final version will only be able available once I pass DBS and onboarding checks. In my last 2 contracts, I signed first and then did onboarding checks.

If anything their process disadvantages themselves, as the candidate can find another gig by the time they finish their onboarding checks. Thats not to say candidates can't do quit post-signing, but it just makes it easier to walk elsewhere if you havent signed anything formally.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post

Good idea. Although I think with these large agencies their contracts are all standard and non-editable?
    You write on it and scan it back then.

I was only suggesting as a delay tactic to push it past the other offer.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    You get the contract from A and go through it with a fine toothed comb. Sent the errors back back saying it looks good in principle but can you make these amendments. Hopefully it will take them a day or two which is all you need for the other gig.

You don't resign from a contract by the way. Permies resign.
    Good idea. Although I think with these large agencies their contracts are all standard and non-editable? The client is a Tier 1 IB. They tend never to play ball.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Client A (or maybe their agency) are playing silly games and are trying to push to you sign a contract without getting it checked out. Just because it's inside, that's not to say you shouldn't get it professionally reviewed (even if it's just your cat doing the reviewing).

I would for push time to get a legal review and if Client A tell you that's unacceptable then I totally would follow your plan B if Client B offered their gig. Client A have shown their colours so I wouldn't have any issue at all with signing and then cancelling if something better came up.

Why would the agency give you a bad reference? Technically, all they can do is confirm the client and which dates you worked there. This isn't mining in the 1980's there are no blacklists.

Lots can happen which mean a contract gets cancelled early. The client would have no issue binning you off, why should you worry about them?
    Yep I'm aware that the agency is needlessly pressuring me. Good to know regarding the referencing and 100% agree with your last point. I'm sure they'd be happy to sack me anytime with a care in the world.

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    get it reviewed.
    Sign it.
    And terminate as and when you want. There will be clauses in the contract around termination so make sure you understand them.
    I'll read it for sure. 5pm on a Friday and still no contract I was sent the email offer at 1pm and told that the contracts team would send across the draft contract and they'd want it signed for Monday...sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    get it reviewed.
    Sign it.
    And terminate as and when you want. There will be clauses in the contract around termination so make sure you understand them.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Client A (or maybe their agency) are playing silly games and are trying to push to you sign a contract without getting it checked out. Just because it's inside, that's not to say you shouldn't get it professionally reviewed (even if it's just your cat doing the reviewing).

I would for push time to get a legal review and if Client A tell you that's unacceptable then I totally would follow your plan B if Client B offered their gig. Client A have shown their colours so I wouldn't have any issue at all with signing and then cancelling if something better came up.

Why would the agency give you a bad reference? Technically, all they can do is confirm the client and which dates you worked there. This isn't mining in the 1980's there are no blacklists.

Lots can happen which mean a contract gets cancelled early. The client would have no issue binning you off, why should you worry about them?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    You get the contract from A and go through it with a fine toothed comb. Sent the errors back back saying it looks good in principle but can you make these amendments. Hopefully it will take them a day or two which is all you need for the other gig.

You don't resign from a contract by the way. Permies resign.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    started a topic Contract dilemma between 2 gigs

Contract dilemma between 2 gigs

Client A - Got an offer today for an Inside IR35 gig today through one of the big agencies. They emailed me the offer and said draft contract would be sent today, and they reiterated twice that they need a response on Monday. Job is to start on 15th March. At time of writing I still have no contract.

Client B - In parallel, I'm interviewing for another gig which is at final stages. It's a better gig with way more money. That's due to start end of April, and I should find out hopefully Tuesday/Wednesday whether I get the offer.

Question is how to manage the situation?

If Client A refuse to allow me appropriate time to review and agree - can I just sign the contract and then terminate it if Client B gives me an offer? I worry that if I do this, I will burn alot of bridges.

I also considered accepting Client A, and working for 6 weeks then resigning. But in this instance, could the agency give me bad references in future? I suspect future employers will still need to get a reference from the agency, even though its just for 1.5 months work.

Note - I'm fully aware that at present, I have no paperwork so no jobs exist I just want to be prepared for every eventuality. Obviously if Client B doesn't make an offer then my choice becomes simple!

Working...
X