• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract until EOY, handed in notice last week, now rate reductions starting nxt week"

Collapse

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by oilboil View Post
    I can't say that I'd noticed. It's been a busy time in my industry all the way through this process and we can't hire contractors quick enough. Have you thought maybe it's not the market, maybe it's your skills???
    Im not the one out of work, about to suffer a rate cut and asking for advice on an internet forum. Do try harder.

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    There is a clue in his username...
    Yep - Oil all the way (with the occasional other natural resource exploration gig)

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    There's a user called peoplesoftbloke (or simlar) on here. Ask him what technology he works with.
    Well originally it was peoplesoft

However I think if you are in the oil industry you probably are there for life.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    There's a user called peoplesoftbloke (or simlar) on here. Ask him what technology he works with.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Catering?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Which industry is that?

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    I can't say that I'd noticed. It's been a busy time in my industry all the way through this process and we can't hire contractors quick enough.
    Which industry is that?

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    did they have this other role lined up before the client even mentioned the rate cut then?

You can live in your made up utopia all you like. Or havent you noticed the supply of contractors grossly exceeds demands?
    I can't say that I'd noticed. It's been a busy time in my industry all the way through this process and we can't hire contractors quick enough. Have you thought maybe it's not the market, maybe it's your skills???

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Actually, despite being a bit rude and presumptuous, TheDogsNads is probably right. I suspect I won't maximise $$$. I just don't care.

Funnily enough, no exceptions quickly turned into talk of an exception because rolling the dice on several million quids worth of investment for the saving of low tens of thousands isn't sensible. I declined that too.

I guess we'll need to wait to see if I'm posting on here in a years time that my warchest is depleted and I don't know what to do.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    We don't know that they haven't got another GIG lined up already, they don't say...

Of course if eberyone takes the "little man" option and says well "ok, you can give me a rate cut and I'll just suck it up" then they'll keep doing it, if we all had backbones and all refused they'd quickly backpedal.
    did they have this other role lined up before the client even mentioned the rate cut then?

You can live in your made up utopia all you like. Or havent you noticed the supply of contractors grossly exceeds demands?

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Tell the client to shove 90% of what you had for 100% of nothing in this market in less than 6 weeks time. Not!
    We don't know that they haven't got another GIG lined up already, they don't say...

Of course if eberyone takes the "little man" option and says well "ok, you can give me a rate cut and I'll just suck it up" then they'll keep doing it, if we all had backbones and all refused they'd quickly backpedal.

Leave a comment:

• TheDogsNads
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    Might not be BT.

Refinitiv are doing a global 10% cut. I told them to go jump. Apparently if you do, you get until the end of Oct.
    Yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Tell the client to shove 90% of what you had for 100% of nothing in this market in less than 6 weeks time. Not!

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Might not be BT.

Refinitiv are doing a global 10% cut. I told them to go jump. Apparently if you do, you get until the end of Oct.

Leave a comment:

• rawly
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    lol! Yes 20% mandatory stay or go.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I really, really wouldn't be playing silly buggers at the moment. Unless you don't need the money take what is on offer.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X