• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permanently delete data from Avance, Infoplus, Mpower Plus and Staffing Prime?"

Collapse

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    As soon as I hear a bad quality line with a very poorly English speaking person on the other end I hang up and....
    that's great unless you need to talk to Microsoft or most other 3rd party support vendors.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Block 'em.

Put the phone down on them and block 'em.

They send you an email, note the phone number and block 'em.
    As soon as I hear a bad quality line with a very poorly English speaking person on the other end I hang up and block the number. Too bad they can't be blocked from leaving voicemails. The list of blocked numbers on my phone must be around 50. they keep trying to call from new numbers

Leave a comment:

• ComplianceLady
    replied
    It is a problem for both candidates and recruiters. We have a system to prevent the same email being added once deleted but that presents an alternative issue that when a candidate wants to be re-added we can't. I advise candidates to not request deletion but to update contact preferences or the best way is not to put your CV on a job board but instead connect directly with recruiters who work in your skill set.

Leave a comment:

• candy
    replied
    I do save and block phone numbers, but I have probably ~500-1000 recruiter phone numbers in my phone, but probably 70% aren't in the business anymore.

It's a lot of manual labour. Most EU/British recruiters actually read the first 5 lines of my CV, which say that I'm looking for a DevOps contract and where. Most Indian recruiters just use mass-spamming calling systems and they just call 1000 people per day asking if they are interested in a job working at €250 in Sligo working on the C++ cloud, where they rank your skills solely based on years of experience. So the candidate with 10 years of Kubernetes experience gets the interview, instead of the guy with 2 years of intense experience that gives workshops, classes, online trainings and has built much open source software.

My goal is to save time, to have the benefits of the good contacts. I think it's very valuable to have respectful conversations with people in the business, but it's much easier to keep a positive attitude when 80% of the phone calls you receive are positive, than when 80% of the phone calls you receive are garbage.

I already use temporary phone-numbers for finding contracts. My voicemail message clearly states what I'm looking for, that helped a little. Maybe I should work with multiple phone numbers, 1 good phone number for good recruiters and 1 more public phone number which I process just once a day.

It has no use getting my work interrupted 8 times in 2 hours when a new permanent job gets released in the Midlands. I don't even know where the Midlands are.

I'm even willing to pay £50 monthly to get rid of this problem. Maybe I'll hire my own Indian PA to answer and redirect my phone calls.

I think I'll do that:
    • Use 2 virtual VOIP numbers, 1 important, 1 public
    • Have a PA, that filters the phone calls of valuable contacts

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    On iphone you can block the number then create a contact and keep adding all ignore numbers to that one contact. Saves Winker Agent 1, Winker Agent 2, etc.

And also check the actual phone number, because I created two phone numbers for Avance +44 203 123 4567 and also 0203 123 4567. Somehow I realised that international phone numbers were still getting through to my phone.

Some say this is a number games. I feel pity for the very first time IT contractors who have fallen in their traps.
    Last edited by rocktronAMP; 2 September 2020, 22:37. Reason: grammar

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sadly, when you upload your CV to those sites, you don't get to choose who sees it and I suspect it also resets any preferences you've expressed to individual recruitment companies. It's a bit of an annoying loophole. Some <cough> reputable agencies might twig you're the same person who told them to take you off their database if they have a proper checking system in place but it's otherwise just going to be an ongoing battle.

I recall forever having to delete an iProfile account that used to get created with disappointing regularity. So glad that system has died a death.

I know Android phones (or it might just be the Pixels) that allow you to block a phone number, which is very handy, but they have to call you first I think.
    Nah you can block their number on Android phones before they call you.

Leave a comment:

• perplexed
    replied
    I just have a contact "Indians" and add the numbers to that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Sadly, when you upload your CV to those sites, you don't get to choose who sees it and I suspect it also resets any preferences you've expressed to individual recruitment companies. It's a bit of an annoying loophole. Some <cough> reputable agencies might twig you're the same person who told them to take you off their database if they have a proper checking system in place but it's otherwise just going to be an ongoing battle.

I recall forever having to delete an iProfile account that used to get created with disappointing regularity. So glad that system has died a death.

I know Android phones (or it might just be the Pixels) that allow you to block a phone number, which is very handy, but they have to call you first I think.
    On iphone you can block the number then create a contact and keep adding all ignore numbers to that one contact. Saves Winker Agent 1, Winker Agent 2, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    The only way to solve is not upload your CV to job boards. As soon s you do that you agree to your personal information being sold.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Start your call with "sorry, I've got Tourette's" and have some fun.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Ask them politely if they are able to make a note not to contact you without your verbally abusing their staff every time they call.

Leave a comment:

• baen
    replied
    Ask nicely!

I have now moved to offshore and I kindly request deletion of my details from your database.

Please do needful and revert at earliest.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Block 'em.

Put the phone down on them and block 'em.

They send you an email, note the phone number and block 'em.

Leave a comment:

• Permanently delete data from Avance, Infoplus, Mpower Plus and Staffing Prime?

They keep deleting my data upon request, but then re-adding me to their database when I re-upload my CV to one of the big IT job boards, which I sometimes do weekly.

I get 8 phone calls per day from them sometimes for the same permanent position in Leeds.

The statistical chance of getting good results with Indian recruiters is <2%.
    The statistical chance of getting good results with British and European recruitment companies is much higher.

So I'm not really interested in getting their phone calls anymore, as they interrupt my day and never lead to anything. It's not worth spending my energy talking to these companies.

I've deleted my phone number from my CV for a while, but that backfired, as it made it harder for good recruiters to reach me as well. So I started missing out on good opportunities with recruitment companies that have direct contact with hiring managers of companies that pay well.

Have anybody solve this issue?

Working...
X