• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agency games increasing after covid?"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Client will want cheapest until they find out cheapest cannot do the job.

I got a gig in Canary Wharf on that basis; I was in at £50/day more than anyone else and the technical interviewer told the hiring manager that I was the only one that they'd interviewed that would be capable of doing the job.

Leave a comment:

• m0n1k3r
    replied
    Originally posted by curtis View Post
    I've had 2 emails over the last few weeks from agents with a job spec, the jobs sounded somewhat plausible where it could be real rather than a generic general sounding advert which normal indicates to me its possible just CV harvesting but no rate was mentioned and at the end it said if you are interested send your CV and desired rate.

Could we now see more of this as they know a lot of people are out of work needing jobs and they as agents have taken a huge hit no doubt so are making people more pitch for jobs and then just forward the ones who state the lowest.
    Possibly.But it's common for clients to not state a rate at all. They want their suppliers (e.g. agencies) to tell them what the asking rate is for a specific CV, and they then make a cost-value judgement and make a decision based on that in the end.

Knowing that most contractors will ask the agency "what's the rate on offer?", agencies typically just put something in there anyway that they believe the client will accept (with their usual markup, which is clearly disclosed to the client).

Asking for your rate instead of stating a bogus "rate on offer" is more honest and transparent and could even possibly operate towards IR35 defence.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Shezz View Post
    What's the right answer to these? Usually I go with "I've had a few calls, one or two applications in the very early stages of the process but nothing concrete right now" as the suggestion that I'm on my way to receiving an offer or have one on the table would usually indicate to the recruiter that I'm not worth gambling on.
    "It's quiet."

Don't give them any more than that. Divulging more detail invites too many questions.

I got a call back off the pimp I spoke to last week, "It's been filled internally." Yeah, CV harvesting.

I haven't missed dealing with these shysters.

qh

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Shezz View Post
    What's the right answer to these? Usually I go with "I've had a few calls, one or two applications in the very early stages of the process but nothing concrete right now" as the suggestion that I'm on my way to receiving an offer or have one on the table would usually indicate to the recruiter that I'm not worth gambling on.
    Regardless of how long I've been looking, I tend to say "I've only just started looking, too soon to have an opinion, how are you finding it?”

Leave a comment:

• Shezz
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

They also did the usual "how are you finding the market", "have you got anything else lined up?" Ah, noobies.

Yep, it's a game, however you can play nice and friendly if they do the same.

qh

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
    ... you can play nice and friendly if they do the same....

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    ....Clients don't always want the cheapest....

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind
    yep.

the whole process is painful :

- idiot agents who can't read or write
    - agents who won't take your CV as you have T-SQL and the client wants PL SQL
    - those mining for CVs
    - those mining for leads
    - the ones that talk your ear off for 30 mins, then don't return calls

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    True enough. I've been in the same place for years, so haven't talked to an agent - other than the ones at my agency, and that's usually to tell them what I'd like to drink. If this comes to an end, permiedom does have its attractions. I'll think of it as my retirement pin money.
    I'm planning a long stint with depression on full pay. I reckon 2 years before they can get rid of me with that one. Two years on full pay sitting at home pretending to be fed up

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    People talk about the horrors of permie reviews once a year, but having to never deal with slime agents again is priceless.

That and knowing I get paid every month, whether I work or not (sick, holiday, training) until retirement.

Can't put a price on that peace of mind
    True enough. I've been in the same place for years, so haven't talked to an agent - other than the ones at my agency, and that's usually to tell them what I'd like to drink. If this comes to an end, permiedom does have its attractions. I'll think of it as my retirement pin money.

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Clients don't always want the cheapest - they didn't 6 months ago and they don't today.
    I don't know if this is true or not.. the gig I have taken the role was advertised at one rate then when shortlisting CVs they picked candidates for interview on the basis that they will only interview with 20% rate reduction off the original rate mentioned.... no idea if that was agency game or client.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Had an agent on the phone and he came straight out with I need two references. I point blank refused and said he would just harass the life out of them.

Agent denied all of this - came out with an excuse that they deliver the projects so control all the hiring etc. Another chap gave them the details as we were applying as a pair.

5 mins later they are calling one of the references fishing for leads. Next day I get an email from the agent sorry the client has decided to promote internally, the position has been filled.

Total scumbags.
    A total scumbag would have emailed you back saying that you don't have the skills.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
    Had an agent on the phone and he came straight out with I need two references. I point blank refused and said he would just harass the life out of them.

Agent denied all of this - came out with an excuse that they deliver the projects so control all the hiring etc. Another chap gave them the details as we were applying as a pair.

5 mins later they are calling one of the references fishing for leads. Next day I get an email from the agent sorry the client has decided to promote internally, the position has been filled.

Total scumbags.
    "You can have the references at client interview stage, if we get that far."

If they don't go along with that, chances are there is no gig.

qh

Leave a comment:

• coolhandluke
    replied

Total scumbags.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Thankfully I've not had to deal with any pimps for over two years as I have been B2B, feels odd talking to them again.

I was speaking to one yesterday for rec agency I've worked with twice before but not since 2013 and he started asking about previous gig and names, managers etc. I just said don't start pestering them as it will get back to me and that won't be a good start. I like to say, help me get the gig I apply for and I may give you an introduction. Usually works, gets them salivating, £££ in eyes.

They also did the usual "how are you finding the market", "have you got anything else lined up?" Ah, noobies.

Yep, it's a game, however you can play nice and friendly if they do the same.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 8 July 2020, 15:45.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X