• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lost contract to very junior in-house hire. Now being asked to train them?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
    You should look at this as Knowledge Transfer which is a standard deliverable for any project.

Set out clearly what is being transferred and have the recipient sign-off once complete on what has been transferred.

Say you are available on a retainer basis post the KT

Likelihood is that Junior newby will leave and you can then setup a proper support contract or increase the retainer.

You are sharper than the client but they don't know this.

When they come back to you desperate for help you can name your price.

A couple of these types of contracts paid for an upgraded 911!
    This is exactly the approach to take (unless the OP doesn't want to!)

The newbie may not leave and need ongoing support, QA etc.

Leave a comment:

• silverlight1
    replied
    You should look at this as Knowledge Transfer which is a standard deliverable for any project.

Set out clearly what is being transferred and have the recipient sign-off once complete on what has been transferred.

Say you are available on a retainer basis post the KT

Likelihood is that Junior newby will leave and you can then setup a proper support contract or increase the retainer.

You are sharper than the client but they don't know this.

When they come back to you desperate for help you can name your price.

A couple of these types of contracts paid for an upgraded 911!

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    This... But maybe not using LMs wording
    I read it first time round as upskirting a peasant.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    This.

Just be frank with them - they've given you notice so you've found something else. You're happy to fulfil your commitments for this month but upskilling a peasant wasn't part of the original deal.
    This... But maybe not using LMs wording

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I think you are investing too much thought and effort in it. Understandable after a long stint, but a few weeks away and both parties move on. Offer the odd hour over the phone IF you can fit it in and hope it goes away. Don't burn bridges if possible.
    This.

Just be frank with them - they've given you notice so you've found something else. You're happy to fulfil your commitments for this month but upskilling a peasant wasn't part of the original deal.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by jojoe90 View Post
    I've just emailed them to say that I'm available this Friday lunchtime for an hour, and if they need more of a handover from me then we can discuss it then.

I've found previously that this client tends to push things over email but then backs down in face-to-face discussions, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done and dusted then.

If they want to get in monkeys for peanuts, they should be implementing some serious staff training.* But they won't. Poor kid's probably on minimum wage and will be floundering. I feel quite sorry for them, but not sorry enough to spend more time than is absolutely necessary on this.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and ideas. Was really useful!

*Just wanted to share a quick story from one of their previous hires. An intern who was promoted to developer, after someone who actually knew a bit about what they were doing was fired. The CEO and the ex-intern proudly showed me a prototype of "an app" they were working on. Turned out they thought "an app" was a website you could look at on your phone. It was monstrous. I asked how users were supposed to log out, "Oh, we don't want them to log out, because they won't be able to receive notifications. That's why the Log Out button is three levels down in the menu".
    I think you are investing too much thought and effort in it. Understandable after a long stint, but a few weeks away and both parties move on. Offer the odd hour over the phone IF you can fit it in and hope it goes away. Don't burn bridges if possible.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Handover = fine

Training because they've employed someone who doesn't know what they're doing = not fine
    Training someone who is out of their depth is impossible. They've fecked up their recruitment - not your responsibility to rectify it.

Leave a comment:

• jojoe90
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    The "my contract doesn't say handovers" angle is one you'll see contractor theory obsessives pushing on here - but not real people in real contracts. I would steer away from that line of thinking.

Handover = fine

Training because they've employed someone who doesn't know what they're doing = not fine

Leave a comment:

• jojoe90
    replied
    I've just emailed them to say that I'm available this Friday lunchtime for an hour, and if they need more of a handover from me then we can discuss it then.

I've found previously that this client tends to push things over email but then backs down in face-to-face discussions, so hopefully we'll be able to get this done and dusted then.

If they want to get in monkeys for peanuts, they should be implementing some serious staff training.* But they won't. Poor kid's probably on minimum wage and will be floundering. I feel quite sorry for them, but not sorry enough to spend more time than is absolutely necessary on this.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and ideas. Was really useful!

*Just wanted to share a quick story from one of their previous hires. An intern who was promoted to developer, after someone who actually knew a bit about what they were doing was fired. The CEO and the ex-intern proudly showed me a prototype of "an app" they were working on. Turned out they thought "an app" was a website you could look at on your phone. It was monstrous. I asked how users were supposed to log out, "Oh, we don't want them to log out, because they won't be able to receive notifications. That's why the Log Out button is three levels down in the menu".

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    The "my contract doesn't say handovers" angle is one you'll see contractor theory obsessives pushing on here - but not real people in real contracts. I would steer away from that line of thinking.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yes, would be great if this was a possibility. A lot of the role is based on creative judgement and strategic experience. And they're essentially asking me to teach this person three or four new fields.

To put it into development terms, if I = DevOps consultant with fifteen years' experience, this person = someone who once made a Wordpress website for their sister's business.
    Another option would to be honest with them then - they've recruited someone that you simply cannot impart your knowledge to beyond the basics.

Leave a comment:

• jojoe90
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    This.

The deliverables of the handover need defining (documentation piece instead of face to face if you can?), sizing, costing and agreeing.
    Yes, would be great if this was a possibility. A lot of the role is based on creative judgement and strategic experience. And they're essentially asking me to teach this person three or four new fields.

To put it into development terms, if I = DevOps consultant with fifteen years' experience, this person = someone who once made a Wordpress website for their sister's business.

Leave a comment:

• jojoe90
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    I think if the client had to, they'd drop you without thinking twice.

The fact is they want you do provide unpaid service. Unless you are running a charity, then best way is as other suggested, draw a new contract for handover.

The work wouldn't be unpaid. I think they expect that it would be at the same hourly rate that I've previously charged for meetings and admin, i.e. approximately 50% of the rate I'm getting at the full-time contract I've started.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post

The fact is they want you do provide unpaid service. Unless you are running a charity, then best way is as other suggested, draw a new contract for handover.
    This.

The deliverables of the handover need defining (documentation piece instead of face to face if you can?), sizing, costing and agreeing.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X