• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?"

Collapse

• smatty
    replied
    Out of about 100 contractors I knew at last client, me and one other left at Xmas, about 10% believe the client will class them outside, maybe 10-20% intend to leave, 10% hoping it won’t happen and rest will roll over.

That may well change as client still hasn’t officially said what they’re doing. I reckon they’ll tow the HMRC line that all PSCs are inside.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Explained to team manager the intricacies of what the IR35 changes mean this morning. He was confused at me saying we need to plan for my leaving when he thought there was loads of work to do.

After I mentioned the issue wasn't with the work but with the contractual side of things, especially what ClientCo's legal team are devising and risk of retrospective action, he was more understanding and appreciated better what he's been seeing wrt the demands to cancel / delay implementation.

Leave a comment:

• BritishLad88
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    HMRC have taken a total of about 20 IR35 cases to tribunal over the past 10 years.
    I know.

Originally posted by eek View Post
    until the public sector and now the private sector changes its been almost risk free
    if it's 'almost' risk free, we all wouldn't be panic-ing & discussing it in forums time after time then.

there's still an element of risk and we don't believe HMRC 100%

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    with ir35, being a contractor is very high risk but comes with high reward and that huge amount of liability if caught I wouldn't be surprised at all.

that's why a lot of my friends who are capable of being a contractor eventually stayed as a permie for most of their life due to them not willing to take the risk in return for a higher income.
    HMRC have taken a total of about 20 IR35 cases to tribunal over the past 10 years.

until the public sector and now the private sector changes its been almost risk free

Leave a comment:

• BritishLad88
    replied
    Originally posted by SouWester View Post
    Holy crap! Seriously?

Not that I don't trust you but can I ask for a second opinion? Anyone?

I am NOT risking that kind of slap. That's a life-altering amount right there.
    with ir35, being a contractor is very high risk but comes with high reward and that huge amount of liability if caught I wouldn't be surprised at all.

that's why a lot of my friends who are capable of being a contractor eventually stayed as a permie for most of their life due to them not willing to take the risk in return for a higher income.

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    You guys are weird, seriously.

No need to ban me, I'll see myself out...

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    BR14? I agree. Mods!!
    Err, Gricer?

Apologies if I have got something wrong here, thought I was getting some good advice.

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    Are you suggesting he was motivated to register because his other accounts got banned and nothing to do with IR35 at all?
    Are you divining some meaning from "no. 1."? I keep see that every time I go to post...

Asking about prosecutions because if there are known to have been loads I will be extra risk-averse, and if there are known to have been few I might unclench a little. Appreciate this is a brave new world but just seeking to gain some understanding of risk.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    There is a slight whiff of Gricer about that one.
    BR14? I agree. Mods!!

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    There is a slight whiff of Gricer about that one.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Are you suggesting he was motivated to register because his other accounts got banned and nothing to do with IR35 at all?
    you may say that.
    i couldn't possibly comment.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    no.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SouWester View Post
    I was not expecting £30k a year + extras.

Any stats available on qty of prosecutions? Either since 1999 or 2017?
    What's that got to do with anything? That's the old days before clients gave HMRC everything they need.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    no.

Leave a comment:

• SouWester
    replied
    What we're you expecting? Pocket change?
    I was not expecting £30k a year + extras.

Any stats available on qty of prosecutions? Either since 1999 or 2017?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X