• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: VAT registration

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "VAT registration"

Collapse

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Wrong way round

Also the 11% (or whatever) is applied to Sales + VAT i.e. £1175 * 11%
    FRS gain (loss) = vx - vy - fx - fvx

where
    x = VATable sales (remember to exclude bank interest)
    y = VATable expenses (remember to exclude all payroll costs, and take the VAT off the expenses off before doing the calculation)
    v = VAT rate (17.5%)
    f = FRS VAT rate (usually 12 in the first year, and then 13% afterwards)

For most people (on the 13% flat rate) you are better off if your average VATable expenses are less than 12.7% of your pre-VAT gross sales.

I am an IT Monkey

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Nope. No monkey here.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Nope.

Most new warehouses are "speculative builds" i.e. there is no-one ordering it the developer just think that one will be needed in that area soon.

I take the clients plans, look for a suitable site (within the area defined by the COG study) that has planning permission (based on the drawings) and make changes as nessecary for the specifics of the project.

Or as seems to be happening more and more fixing the mistakes other people make when they do it in house.
    So you're not an IT monkey then?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Nope.

Most new warehouses are "speculative builds" i.e. there is no-one ordering it the developer just think that one will be needed in that area soon.

I take the clients plans, look for a suitable site (within the area defined by the COG study) that has planning permission (based on the drawings) and make changes as nessecary for the specifics of the project.

Or as seems to be happening more and more fixing the mistakes other people make when they do it in house.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Doesnt matter what you do you'll probably get tSIC 72220. I build warehouses and I got other software consultancy and supply.
    You're a structural engineer?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by martinb
    Don't understand. You don't "get" a SIC code - YOU choose the one most appropriate for your business. But, to be fair, I can't remember which piece of paper you use to notify your chosen SIC code.
    When you send in the inital VAT form they give you a SIC code which you can change. I had to change mine but was told that there wasnt a SIC code for management consultancy.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife
    Wrong way round

Shhh...I'd almost got away with it.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Well it depends how much your inputs are but the general concensus is that Flat rate VAT is better.

What are you invoices / costs each month?

e.g.

Per Week

£1000 in
    £150 out

Flat Rate:
    Vat on 1000 = £175
    Vat Claimed Back = £26.25

Normal:
    Vat On £1000 = £175
    Vat Claimed Back ([1000 * 17.5%] - [1000 * 11%]) = £65

So total benefit: £28.75

Wrong way round

Leave a comment:

• martinb
    replied
    Doesnt matter what you do you'll probably get tSIC 72220. I build warehouses and I got other software consultancy and supply.
    Don't understand. You don't "get" a SIC code - YOU choose the one most appropriate for your business. But, to be fair, I can't remember which piece of paper you use to notify your chosen SIC code.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    At the end my accountant advised to register for the regular VAT not the flat rate one !!
    Well it depends how much your inputs are but the general concensus is that Flat rate VAT is better.

What are you invoices / costs each month?

e.g.

Per Week

£1000 in
    £150 out

Flat Rate:
    Vat on 1000 = £175
    Vat Claimed Back = £26.25

Normal:
    Vat On £1000 = £175
    Vat Claimed Back ([1000 * 17.5%] - [1000 * 11%]) = £65

So total benefit: £28.75

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    At the end my accountant advised to register for the regular VAT not the flat rate one !!
    It depends. If your company's outgoings on things with VAT charged are very low then the flat rate scheme is normally better.

If there are large expenses that you can reclaim the VAT on then the normal regime is better.

Usual disclaimer - IANAA etc etc.
    Last edited by Gonzo; 7 January 2007, 22:43. Reason: My illiteracy.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    Would that be SIC code 74140? I have absolutely no idea how that would help with your VAT registration however.

All I can remember is that the accountant filled out the form, I just had to sign it. From memory, the only details on the form were the company name and address and the business category.

Once the form had been sent in it was then that they asked to see proof that the company was "in business". I presume that they needed to make sure that I wasn't another carousel fraudster.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    yep
    Would that be SIC code 74140? I have absolutely no idea how that would help with your VAT registration however.

All I can remember is that the accountant filled out the form, I just had to sign it. From memory, the only details on the form were the company name and address and the business category.

Once the form had been sent in it was then that they asked to see proof that the company was "in business". I presume that they needed to make sure that I wasn't another carousel fraudster.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    Business and Management Consultancy?
    yep

Leave a comment:

Working...
X