• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Burnout

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Burnout"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Problem is you can start with a three month contract and think you might as well work through it. The three months becomes six months then becomes twelve months and you realise you hadn't had a decent break.

I find a month break between long term contracts about does me. Putting finances aside I get a bit bored.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me how contractors work and work and don't have holidays.....

You're a long time dead fellas. Your kids won't remember that Dad worked really hard and earned a shed load of money, they'll remember holidays you took them on.

Sorry but contracting is about having more holidays and more free time for me.
    It's nowhere near as simple as that and is something that permies face as well so not just our problem. There is also a massive difference between doing the minimum and burning out. The difference for me is having the choice. Sometimes doing extra works, fits in with family, the rewards go towards a big plan to add to quality of life. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Working away is also part of that decision and can be great if you are set up for it but could be the worst thing ever if you have a young family.

I'm currently working 6 days a week and will probably do so for a month or two or until it doesn't suit me. I may even do 7 days if I fancy it. Suits me well at the moment as SWMBO works over the weekend as well (teacher) so no loss there, kids are old enough so don't see them for dust anyway, I enjoy what I do and the money will help either retire earlier or help the kids set up. Quite happy to put extra effort in while I can to achieve either of those.

You are doing what suits you, I'm doing what suits me. It shouldn't amaze you someone else does something that doesn't fit in with your life choices. What we probably both agree on is we wouldn't do it if it were forced on us and we'd be prepared to call it a day much earlier than those that got burnt out would.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Never ceases to amaze me how contractors work and work and don't have holidays.....

You're a long time dead fellas. Your kids won't remember that Dad worked really hard and earned a shed load of money, they'll remember holidays you took them on.

Sorry but contracting is about having more holidays and more free time for me.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied
    Me too. Haven't had a holiday in 1 year now. I've worked through the burnout this year but developed a host of bad health issues for a few months which I've overcome now. Finally taking a 2 week holiday this month!

Health is wealth. No matter how much the client pushes, you need to take regular breaks otherwise it'll cause more problems further down the line.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Get a gig in the public sector - it'll be like a holiday :-)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
    like i said i'm indian . . . my death will trigger a centuries long feud over who owns a particular 5 sq ft of worthless land
    Sounds like my uncles family - Sicilian

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Is that before or after your family sell the land to developers?
    like i said i'm indian . . . my death will trigger a centuries long feud over who owns a particular 5 sq ft of worthless land

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm indian . . . i'll be incinerated and my ashes scattered over the garden to overlook the equestrian field view which i paid through the nose for
    Is that before or after your family sell the land to developers?

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Your house will be just lovely when you are getting buried six feet under, when you drop down deed

Or if you make it to retirement and they are selling it to pay for your care costs

Long time deed in this life

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    I'm indian . . . i'll be incinerated and my ashes scattered over the garden to overlook the equestrian field view which i paid through the nose for

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's not really the point of a warchest.
    let me build one up first then i can debate the definitions and purposes

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Tarbera's retirement plan is to marry the rich widow of a burnt out contractor.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    As GoT would say, you're a long time deed.

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Your house will be just lovely when you are getting buried six feet under, when you drop down deed

Or if you make it to retirement and they are selling it to pay for your care costs

I must be psychic

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    i was saving for a house and full refurb, hence the peddle to the metal approach, had to use all available funds to complete the build hence why warchest was depleted

still doesn't look much better to be honest but at least i'm earning

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That's not really the point of a warchest.

Leave a comment:

• filthy1980
    replied
    Originally posted by 56samba View Post
    This sounds like a precarious financial position? not criticising, just noting.

PlanB, take the summer off. the older I get the more extended my between gigs breaks get, consider it a portion of your retirement taken early, the portion where you are dribbling in your porridge unable to remember your own name.
    i was saving for a house and full refurb, hence the peddle to the metal approach, had to use all available funds to complete the build hence why warchest was depleted

Leave a comment:

Working...
X