• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Notice period by contractor not well respected"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by oilboil View Post
    It's just perception...

When company gives notice they aren't bothered at all as it is their decision. You on the other hand are a bit p'd off at having to find another gig

Reverse it, you are happy to be leaving as it's your choice but your client are now p'd off at having to replace you
    To me it's when the client gives notice to change the contract terms that annoys me. Mid contract rate reductions and a take it or leave it notice. While they think that is professional, they moan about contractors who jump ship to get a better rate.

Leave a comment:

• oilboil
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    No I think hes saying when clients give notice its considered OK and part of the game. When contractors give notice its frowned upon.
    It's just perception...

When company gives notice they aren't bothered at all as it is their decision. You on the other hand are a bit p'd off at having to find another gig

Reverse it, you are happy to be leaving as it's your choice but your client are now p'd off at having to replace you

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Normally you'd be right, but given that he posted here quite coherently, and is now banging about the same issue, I'd suggest it's not inappropriate.
    What would you know? MF would do a better job.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That's a bit harsh. It's more of a tried but failed attempt to write the post in the third person, probably due to English not being their first language.
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    It is also a very bad example from a Mod in a professional forum.
    Normally you'd be right, but given that he posted here quite coherently, and is now banging about the same issue, I'd suggest it's not inappropriate.

I could have moved it to General...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    I think what you're saying is that it's unfair that contractors have to give notice per the contract and clients don't?
    No I think hes saying when clients give notice its considered OK and part of the game. When contractors give notice its frowned upon.

Leave a comment:

• BackupBoy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Ahh... here we go. Something he's already discussed with us. I guess he's just having a rant on the whole thing he's just gone through.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2647322
    The OP never replied to that thread either.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    That's a bit harsh. It's more of a tried but failed attempt to write the post in the third person, probably due to English not being their first language.
    It is also a very bad example from a Mod in a professional forum.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It's really very simple. If you can't construct basic English sentences then clients don't want you.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by avatcuk View Post
    Why some businesses just could not stand the departure of contractor with notice and be biased??
    It's really very simple. If you can't construct basic English sentences then clients don't want you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by avatcuk View Post
    Where company decides to withdraw interim resources is considered a norm (withdrawn instantly or by giving enough notice, although ensured tenure to be difficult as hell).

However, interim to take similar action first than the organisation and where interim is also in agreement to all necessary contractual protocols (Notice Period etc.), seen as an offence to some higher in the rank or bridge burning action by culturally primitive organisations.

Why some organisations do not respect and appreciate the move by interim resources positively, when they (business) themselves would have taken similar decision against interim several times.

Why some businesses just could not stand the departure of contractor with notice and be biased??

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    If you were working for me, I'd be delighted to see the back of you without notice.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Fair point. I read it twice and just took a guess.
    Same to be fair lol...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I read in to it he's given notice and it's not gone down so well. Either they've binned him on the spot, refuse to pay the full month even though he's not worked it or they are just mad at him and the agent/client is giving him grief.

It's so poorly worded it's difficult to understand exactly what his issue is so we can address it.
    Fair point. I read it twice and just took a guess.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Ahh... here we go. Something he's already discussed with us. I guess he's just having a rant on the whole thing he's just gone through.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2647322

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think what you're saying is that it's unfair that contractors have to give notice per the contract and clients don't?
    I read in to it he's given notice and it's not gone down so well. Either they've binned him on the spot, refuse to pay the full month even though he's not worked it or they are just mad at him and the agent/client is giving him grief.

It's so poorly worded it's difficult to understand exactly what his issue is so we can address it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just to add the above. Notice is pretty irrelevant for us. I can't tell exactly what's ticked you off due to the language in the post but a company is not obliged to pay for notice. If there is no work you don't get paid it. It's in the contract.

You are there to do a job. If that job disappears then so does any work you can do. This could be projects stopped, backfill by permies, budget disappears. If that's the case then we don't get paid any more by the T&M nature of our contracts.

It's all there in black and white. Thankfully not too many companies pull this and will honour notice period but never expect to get paid for work you don't do as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X